Any risks in making all mods downloaded into OMOD's?

I've been doing this lately, and if the downloaded mod has an extra folder I just fix it right up to make it more OMOD compatible. The thing is, I'm downloading more and more mods and kinda worried that making them all OMOD's (which they never were supposed to be) could cause some problems in my games.

Does anyone else do this? The whole reason I do this is to make uninstalling and organizing mods much more easy.

You are doing it the smart and safe way. When you uninstall an OMOD, OBMM will remove all associated meshes, textures, etc. automatically. The Wrye Bash installers will do this also, but i personally prefer OBMM's simple approach and friendly user interface. This makes it a very safe way to test new mods.

As far as causing problems down the road, i currently have 150+ esps active with everything installed as OMODs. No issues whatsoever.

Another good reason for converting everything to OMOD format is that OBMM does not seem to handle drastic changes to load order very well if you have manually installed a bunch of mods.

The only downside iv'e experienced with OBMM is the long load time when you have 100+ mods installed. If you are running Win 7 or Vista you can greatly shorten the load time by dedicating a USB memory device to ReadyBoost. This took my load time from 1.5 min. down to 10-12 sec.

Some advice - Make backups of all your OMODs, but also save the original files you downloaded. I have found them useful more times than i can count.

Few people take the time to do it right - Kudos.

Edited by eric31415

You are doing it the smart and safe way. When you uninstall an OMOD, OBMM will remove all associated meshes, textures, etc. automatically. The Wrye Bash installers will do this also, but i personally prefer OBMM's simple approach and friendly user interface. This makes it a very safe way to test new mods.

As far as causing problems down the road, i currently have 150+ esps active with everything installed as OMODs. No issues whatsoever.

Another good reason for converting everything to OMOD format is that OBMM does not seem to handle drastic changes to load order very well if you have manually installed a bunch of mods.

The only downside iv'e experienced with OBMM is the long load time when you have 100+ mods installed. If you are running Win 7 or Vista you can greatly shorten the load time by dedicating a USB memory device to ReadyBoost. This took my load time from 1.5 min. down to 10-12 sec.

Some advice - Make backups of all your OMODs, but also save the original files you downloaded. I have found them useful more times than i can count.

Few people take the time to do it right - Kudos.

Hey thanks, I also prefer OBMM's interface rather than Bash.

I guess anyone with 100+ mods will experience significantly longer load times.

The one obvious advantage BAIN has over OMOD is the ability in Wtye Bash to replace files with pre-existing ones when you remove a mod. E.g., Nirnroots are green - Mod A makes them pink, Mod B (installed after A) makes them blue. With OMODs, you remove Mod B and you get green Nirnroots as the textures insewrted by Mod A was overwritten by the one from Mod B. With BAIN, you remove Mod B and get pink Nirnroots as Wrye Bash has a function which restores the texture from Mod A. With the OMODs, you'd have to remove Mod A too, and reinstall it, and with complex order-dependent stuff that could get longwinded. That's why i rename all MY OMOD files with a numerical order - the "installation" order (NOT the load order - that's different)

Note from the above - i still use OMODs - BAIN files just take too much hassle to make, and I'm still trying to work out how to do 90% of the stuff in Wrye bash because the idea of a simple interface seems to have bypassed the development team - they want people to use it, yet havem't tried to make it useable.

Edited by MarkInMKUK