Guild advancement

DisintergrateHorseArmor

Something I thought was rather cool about morrowinds guilds was that in order to advance within them, not only did you need to finish quests, but it required that your skill level and stats were of a certain rank.

I felt this added a little realism to the guild systems as well as depth. In order to be promoted in the fighters guild for example you needed to make sure your skills were on par with those of a fighting class, str, end, blade, block, ect.

This made it feel more rewarding when attaining a new rank, and nothing says ouch like

when a guildmaster tells you that "members of the guild feel you lack the skills needed for

advancement"

In oblivion it seemed a little lame to be able to go through the mages guild using a pure

fighter or theif build. It made you actually have to train in the associated skills of the guilds.

Maybe it's just me, but anyone else hope they may imement something like this for skyrim?

Edited by DisintergrateHorseArmor

anyone else hope they may imement something like this for skyrim?

Yes, Yes and YES!! 100% agree with you. it also added to the amount of gameplay hours. I do miss having to go and actually go out and practice my skills to advance.

I know its a tad off topic but i also really miss how in morrowind you actually had to figure out your quests, arrr... how i miss that. i'm not so fond of just following quest markers all the time. I used to get stuck because i couldn't figure out where i was supposed to go and as frustrating as that used to be nothing beats the feeling of figuring it out!

Anyway thats enough of a rant from me :P

I agree, but the Morrowind system had its problems too. Consider this:

1. You don't have to do ALL of the quests available to you in order to advance in rank. This means the game designers will be designing into the game a lot of quests that many players (who don't do a second playthrough) will never see.

2. Skill/Attribute requirements means that, if you do all the quests available to you at this rank and they don't give you enough skill points, you have nothing left to do within the guild except go out into random dungeons and fight monsters to get your skills up. This can work if you're roleplaying an eclectic character who wants to do everything, but what if you're doing someone who would only be interested in certain things? In Oblivion I've played a character who does only the Dark Brotherhood and only "evil-ish" stuff more than once. This isn't really possible in Morrowind without grinding.

3. The skill requirements also really hurt the narrative possibilities. In Oblivion's Mages Guild, for example, you're the only person capable of saving the guild from an army of Necromancers. How could that have worked in the Morrowind system? "Sorry, but we're not gonna let you save us until you get a destruction skill of 90!" This is a big reason (though not the only one) Morrowind's faction quests mostly consisted of Twenty Bear Asses type deals, and none of them really had much of a story aside from that of your own advancement within the faction.

None of these are unsolvable problems, of course, but they're some of the reasons why Oblivion dumped skill requirements. And all in all, I think I preferred the Oblivion way, but what I'd really like to see is some system that combines the better aspects of both. Don't ask me to design it though!

I much prefer the Morrowind system as well :)

Being able to advance in Oblivion without having the necessary skill levels (or knowledge of the skill(s) at all) meant I could mad rush through all of the quests in no time, become the master of the guild, and then the quest line would be over and I would have nothing to do anymore. I don't know about you, but for me, the end of quest lines is something I want to delay for as long as possible!

At least if you're required to get your skills up and you have no other option to do that but go out into the wilderness and fight random dungeons, at least the dungeon crawling becomes a thing of purpose, and not just something you're doing for the sake of it. If the quest line is over, I tend to lose any desire to continue playing, simply cause any further efforts to advance my character become completely pointless.

Edited by FavoredSoul

I haven't played Morrowind yet, but I do agree with the idea behind this thread. It makes perfect sense to have certain skills before you advance. Heck, you can't just jump to the next grade in school if you can't even handle the basics of your current grade, right?