Does your Oblivion experience lag often?

Hey folks. This is my first post and I was wondering if a few pc veterans could answer a question. I recently built a pc in April of this year. I bought an ASUS Cm1630, removed the internal graphics card and added a Nvidia 550ti card. I have 8 gb of ram and one gb of ddr5 vram. All drivers for my pc are kept up to date, my registry is kept clean and tidy, disks defragged and clean with no errors, and no viruses. My question is, when i use OBGE, should i be only getting 15-30 fps? I have a few texture alterations, but nothing drastic. I only use a few shaders such as godrays, HBAO, and obsharpen. I dont have in game shadows maxed out either. I can run any other game maxed out in the settings and get up to 75 fps. why is oblivion giving me such a hard time and what should i do about it?

OBGE is a framerate killer. Oblivion is not optimized for multicore processors either. So, the architecture, and clock speed are more important than the age.....

Best thing you can do to improve performance is reduce the CPU load. You can tweak your O/S, to get rid of background stuff that you really don't need, (wireless zero configuration, if you don't have a wireless card, for instance....) indexing service, etc. Blackviperhas a some good guides for just such a process.

Another thing you can do is get a Real, hardware accelerated sound card, and the right software to convert directsound (which no longer exists in vista, or win7), to OpenAl, so that your nice sound card actually does what it is supposed to, instead of forcing the processor to deal with the sound.

You could turn off Music in the oblivion.ini, and pick up some performance there as well.