Pete Hines confirms being able to turn of quest markers via twitter

tony1892

*Stuff said*

Modder here.... yeaaa..... and modding community REJECTS your idea,.. thank you and come again please :)

jk jk.

but seriously,.. that 3d map is meant for the player, not the character,...

and I am not sure you'd find many modders who share your thoughts, thats a rather nice map bethesda made, and a modder would struggle to top that one anyhow.(Beth learned from oblivion i guess...)

Depends on how you're playing the game. I like to merge with my character, doing and experiencing things as I imagine I'd do in his/her place. I get rid of as much of the HUD and pointers as possible, making sure there's minimal distraction from my view of the gameworld and that I get to handle the navigation rather than being guided. So when I pick up the map, I expect to see an actual map, not an interactive miniature 3d-model of the whole gameworld. That just doesnt make any sense here. And I know from other forums I'm not the only one reacting on this ;) There are a lot of picky "hardcore" roleplayers out there.

But of course the 3d-map itself is a cool and well made feature. No arguing there! I just think they put it into the wrong game, that's all :P Would be awesome in Fallout.

Anyways, I had the idea yesterday to make a traditional map as an item instead of some sort of replacer for the original map. Since you can zoom and spin around objects in your inventory, you should be able to read a map as well. That way you can have both types of maps available in your game. Cant wait to see about the possibilities later on :)

Edited by Mr. Bravo

The markers are optional .. the map may be 3D but is that really that big of a deal? .. PreOrder and get that nice clothe map .. then just never open the map and turn off all markers if it all bothers you guys that much.. that just leaves the compass .. yep .. theres a compass .. big deal .. without markers all its going to do it show north and south .. maybe nearby towns and important spots .. Theres really no need for the kind of heat this topic takes. o_O

My problem with quest markers is when they're abused, like this:

You encounter a crying child in town. You ask it what's wrong, and it says "My daddy ran out into the wilderness and left me here all by myself! You have to go find him!"

Then, a red arrow appears on your world map apparently pointing to a blank spot. You go there and, look who it is, the kid's dad! You loot his corpse to find a journal where he details he wanted to find the legendary lost Artifact of Great Value, but nobody has known the whereabouts of the Artifact in 10,000 years.

Then, ANOTHER red arrow appears on your world map pointing to another apparently blank spot! You go there and, lookie here, the Artifact of Great Value! You go back to town and give it to the lonely kid who then spends all the money on booze for his punk older "friends." Quest completed.

There's absolutely nothing to finding the corpse or the artifact other than blindly following where ever the arrows take you. Video games are supposed to be interactive. Granted a blind pixel hunt through a giant homogenous forest *cough Myths and Legends cough* is even worse, but are we really limited to picking one or the other?

*more stuff said!*

that is a rather nice idea i guess,... it woulnt work from the inventory viewer however.

...This is what I would do, if it was possible...

----------------

Take out the 3d map Beth made... there will have to be an engine the map runs off i imagine. Hopefully that will support something simpler.

if so, there were some excellent maps made to replace oblivions. So one for Skyrim would be nice

so with a new, simple map, in place- we then add a real map to store merchants.

this real map is an equipable item, viewable in the rotatable inventory. And Identical to the menu map we replaced.

on equip, it plays an animation where your character holds it to view,... and we are brought to the map menu!

And as a optional choice, fast travel from the map can be enabled/disabled at the mods first startup. (and changed via console command provided in readme)

-------------------

@Alcin

eh,.... black and white huh?

idk,.. Morrowind would say: "Well, go off in this direction. thats the way." and leave you to figure it out on your own, with the target barely two feet away and you just can't find it because even tho they gave directions, its blah.

I remember being told this or that, and I would walk by the location each and every time becuase it was soooo much closer than they led me to believe... and then on the other ones, the location was sooo much farther than it should ever have been with such vague directions.

I agree tho,.. I don't like my hand being held... but dang! the alternative isn't any better

Edited by El`derina

You encounter a crying child in town. You ask it what's wrong, and it says "My daddy ran out into the wilderness and left me here all by myself! You have to go find him!"

Then, a red arrow appears on your world map apparently pointing to a blank spot. You go there and, look who it is, the kid's dad! You loot his corpse to find a journal where he details he wanted to find the legendary lost Artifact of Great Value, but nobody has known the whereabouts of the Artifact in 10,000 years.

Then, ANOTHER red arrow appears on your world map pointing to another apparently blank spot! You go there and, lookie here, the Artifact of Great Value! You go back to town and give it to the lonely kid who then spends all the money on booze for his punk older "friends." Quest completed.

There's absolutely nothing to finding the corpse or the artifact other than blindly following where ever the arrows take you. Video games are supposed to be interactive. Granted a blind pixel hunt through a giant homogenous forest *cough Myths and Legends cough* is even worse, but are we really limited to picking one or the other?

I agree.

That was one (and not only) part in Oblivion that was poorly done. They could have set the quest marker to direct you to an area and not directly to the item.

I'm just happy we can remove them in Skyrim.

The markers are optional .. the map may be 3D but is that really that big of a deal? .. PreOrder and get that nice clothe map .. then just never open the map and turn off all markers if it all bothers you guys that much.. that just leaves the compass .. yep .. theres a compass .. big deal .. without markers all its going to do it show north and south .. maybe nearby towns and important spots .. Theres really no need for the kind of heat this topic takes. o_O

I'll agree .. but fallout 3 handled that well enough .. if you didn't ask where the place was then it wouldnt give you an arrow