Single life or relationship

Jopo1980

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, single life or a relationship?

• Single life
    • Relationship
    • Both suck.
    • Both are fine.
  2. 2. Is sex important in a relationship?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are couples superior to singles?

• Yes
    • No

Why I love being single:

• I have *a lot* more money to spend
  • I can selfishly only think about what I want to do
  • I can meet new people and date whenever I want
  • I can travel anywhere I want for as long as I want
  • No one nags me
  • I can sleep when I want
  • I can play games when I want
  • I can put my stuff where ever I want
  • I can buy things I want
  • I don't have to explain where I went or why I did something

Why I love being in a relationship:

• Having someone I can trust more than my friends
  • Being able to be 'me' and be accepted 90%
  • Regular mating
  • I don't have to do my laundry
  • I have someone to cook for
  • I have someone to buy gifts for
  • I can share all my excitements with someone
  • I have someone to endlessly harass
  • I have someone who'll sacrifice time and energy for me

Having a plutonic relationship with my best friend is better than having a relationship with a woman from my perspective because I get all the benefits of being single and most of the benefits of being in a relationship except regular mating, having someone do my laundry and someone I can trust more than my friends.

At some point I become best friends with my girlfriends but I still lose all the benefits of being single. For some guys it's nice to have a life of dating (refer to random celebrities for this one) and for some it's nice to have a life with a woman. Each to their own.

Why I love being single:

• I have *a lot* more money to spend
  • I can selfishly only think about what I want to do
  • I can meet new people and date whenever I want
  • I can travel anywhere I want for as long as I want
  • No one nags me
  • I can sleep when I want
  • I can play games when I want
  • I can put my stuff where ever I want
  • I can buy things I want
  • I don't have to explain where I went or why I did something

That is the list of pure awesomeness right there!

I prefer my single life mostly as it is, doing whatever I want whenever I want. No drama, no one making demands, no one trying to change me or my home. Every time I start a relationship with someone, I always tend to miss the freedom of being single sooner or later. So when the relationship ends (As it always does in one way or another), I feel more of a relief than depressed. Any of the good things you get from a relationship like trust, sex and love can be found amongst good friends and exes as well, and doesnt have to be all about one single person at all. So that's not something that is troubling me at all. But I'm naturally a very independent person, and despise the very thought of being dependent on anyone or anything as I see it more like a personal weakness or burden :P

But I'm not a cold or selfish person, I'm just much more focused on my interests, hobbies and free time, and have very strange sleeping-hours because of my work :wacko: Some day it might change, or maybe I find some girl who somehow would fit my lifestyle. But at least right now it's not something I really care about at all. If it happens, it happens. I'll be all good either way.

And no, couples are not superior to singles. As a single I live in my own perfect harmony, while I know all you couples out there have your problems and argues in one way or another. Doesnt matter how perfect and in love you try to look together ;)

Edited by Mr. Bravo

That is the list of pure awesomeness right there!

I prefer my single life mostly as it is, doing whatever I want whenever I want. No drama, no one making demands, no one trying to change me or my home. Every time I start a relationship with someone, I always tend to miss the freedom of being single sooner or later. So when the relationship ends (As it always does in one way or another), I feel more of a relief than depressed. Any of the good things you get from a relationship like trust, sex and love can be found amongst good friends and exes as well, and doesnt have to be all about one single person at all. So that's not something that is troubling me at all. But I'm naturally a very independent person, and despise the very thought of being dependent on anyone or anything as I see it more like a personal weakness or burden :P

But I'm not a cold or selfish person, I'm just much more focused on my interests, hobbies and free time, and have very strange sleeping-hours because of my work :wacko: Some day it might change, or maybe I find some girl who somehow would fit my lifestyle. But at least right now it's not something I really care about at all. If it happens, it happens. I'll be all good either way.

And no, couples are not superior to singles. As a single I live in my own perfect harmony, while I know all you couples out there have your problems and argues in one way or another. Doesnt matter how perfect and in love you try to look together ;)

You know, I agree that it's better to see yourself as a whole person and be independent, because I think that if you just can't deal with yourself and your own insecurities first, you're probably not going to do well with someone else. I also agree that relationships are never perfect. Some are a great deal happier than others, and in my experience, compatable personalities really do make all the difference, because really, a clingy person who's always paranoid and a self-contained person who gets weirded out by frantic behaviour, just are not gonna work very well.

Relationships are better than being alone, the fact that friendship exists kind of enforces that idea. Typically humans are social animals.

Sex is great, if you haven't tried it, I'd recommend it assuming you're of the age of consent. However it's not by any means a linchpin holding two people together.

Lastly, 2 > 1, so two people are greater than one person. However, individually we're all about the same. :thumbsup:

We might feel happier in groups, but people who don't want to or can't find partners are not heartless or in any way lesser beings than those who are paired up. To be blunt, I find smug married/otherwise paired people very annoying, because my life is outside the social norms--hello, if the system's dead set against you getting married, what the hell do you do? :armscrossed: Because of the way things are set up, that's a milestone I won't be getting any time soon, as much as I may want to. Like I said, it's not that I'm a lonely, miserable person. I'm self-contained and also don't fit into the social expectations, and I also do not view a wedding as a rite of passage. It's an unattainable dream for people in my position. :(

I'm not buying it. I have a friend who's been partnered since the 80s in a non-traditional marriage. They are married whether it's recognized as legal by the government, or not. I don't need them to tell me they are married, I can see that they are.

I've tried both, single and as part of a couple. Gotta say single wins hands down for me. Personally, I'm better as 'me' on my own, but I have friends who are married or long term partners and they are better as couples. One couple has been married for 26 years. I don't want to do anything FUN for 26 years, much less be married for that long.

And I was married at one time. I hated it more than she did, believe me. The day we signed the divorce papers it was like making freak'n parole or something. I literally jumped for joy. It was the best day of my life in 6 years. BUT I have divorced friends and they were devestated when the day finally came for them.

Married or Single, alone or as part of a couple. It all depends on the person/people involved.

Relationships are better than being alone, the fact that friendship exists kind of enforces that idea. Typically humans are social animals.

Sex is great, if you haven't tried it, I'd recommend it assuming you're of the age of consent. However it's not by any means a linchpin holding two people together.

Lastly, 2 > 1, so two people are greater than one person. However, individually we're all about the same. :thumbsup:

I have to disagree, after being in a bad marriage single is definately more preferable than being with the wrong person. Love can turn to hate and when it does in your personal space ie: home, it's a nightmare.

I've tried both, single and as part of a couple. Gotta say single wins hands down for me. Personally, I'm better as 'me' on my own, but I have friends who are married or long term partners and they are better as couples. One couple has been married for 26 years. I don't want to do anything FUN for 26 years, much less be married for that long.

And I was married at one time. I hated it more than she did, believe me. The day we signed the divorce papers it was like making freak'n parole or something. I literally jumped for joy. It was the best day of my life in 6 years. BUT I have divorced friends and they were devestated when the day finally came for them.

Married or Single, alone or as part of a couple. It all depends on the person/people involved.

This is probably going to be the only time I ever agree with you--it's a personal preference as to whether or not you want to be with somebody. Some people just are happier with friends than romantic relationships, whether because of bad experiences or a general lack of romantic desire (which is not a mental disorder, btw, or even normally held to be caused by one). I hate to say it, but OMG seriously what about the asexuals? They exist, and are not Unpeople. Not all asexuals have no romantic feelings, but it's still (from what I hear) hard to find a partner who will understand if you don't want to get physical, because we live in a culture where bodily autonomy gets disregarded rather a lot. :facepalm:

EDIT: I'd also rather be alone than with somebody who I can't talk to honestly. If I feel I have to hide stuff in order to impress a guy or keep him from leaving me, then it's not going to work.

I'd also rather be alone than with somebody who I can't talk to honestly.

I think this is true of everyone except the very most rare individual who has some substantial dependency issues, of which I've not seen much evidence in the general population. In fact, I find the complete opposite to be true, there is a much higher incidence of commitment phobia rampant in current western societies, in my opinion.