Discussing the events of September 11th

MaidenUSA

I was on vacation in New York when it happened. I saw both planes crash into the towers... One of the scariest days of my life, I can tell you that :facepalm: I remember how we all thought the first one was a horrible accident, until the second one crashed into the other tower... It was a really bad day, to see all the smoke and fire, the people jumping out of the tower... I think the worst part of it was when the tower just collapsed. All the fire fighters inside just died. I don't think I've been to New York since then though, but it's not because of the towers. More because I don't want to fly on a plane now, really.

Just thinking about it makes me feel horrible... It's a day I'll probably never forget.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In hopes of not getting this terribly wrong I am going to assume you are somewhere in Europe. How do others in Europe feel about the events of September 11th? On a certain image board (which shall go nameless to keep the peace) the Europeans there a very insensitive and basically mock us Americans over the whole thing.

It's the voice of the few and ignorant that usually rise above from those that are silent and have respect. I can tell that there is an idiot amongst any 30 people in my country, with basically the claim as they weren't there they don't believe it (not literally, but it's basically what you can assume). Out of respect I'll not discuss what that was, I'll just call it ignorant and the type of people that if it doesn't happen to them or haven't paid attention to 100% of all details it is not qualified as important and they'll lack sympathy for it. I can understand it to a degree, but I think it's a lack of respect if it's wavered away. It's not just 9/11, it's the European attacks and even WW2. I don't care if you don't care, just get lost with your 'theories' that aren't proven and the excuse "Well neither their or my point is proven to my standards, so I'm not that far off :facepalm:". They totally forget about the fact more than 3000 people died and more did after because of the act. People aren't asking for respect of the choices made, but for the ones that got effected by it. Is that so difficult? ...Apparently. :dry:

Edited by Pronam

Today I am ashamed of my country. Right at this very moment I am watching a dignified and moving ceremony from the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London. However, at the same time I was watching the earlier ceremonies from Ground Zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville, some nasty little microbes were burning the Stars and Stripes in another part of London. AND THE HOME SECRETARY ALLOWED THEIR PROTEST TO GO AHEAD AND BANNED A COUNTER PROTEST! They should be charged with incitement to hatred/riot which they quite easily could be.

Shame on them. I remember as clear as the day it happened watching that footage of 3000 people getting murdered. THAT'S what happened that day, don't forget.

I apologise for the calculated hateful behaviour of the above people. Dan3345, don't worry, decent Europeans stand together with the USA today.

Today I am ashamed of my country. Right at this very moment I am watching a dignified and moving ceremony from the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square, London. However, at the same time I was watching the earlier ceremonies from Ground Zero, the Pentagon and Shanksville, some nasty little microbes were burning the Stars and Stripes in another part of London. AND THE HOME SECRETARY ALLOWED THEIR PROTEST TO GO AHEAD AND BANNED A COUNTER PROTEST! They should be charged with incitement to hatred/riot which they quite easily could be.

Shame on them. I remember as clear as the day it happened watching that footage of 3000 people getting murdered. THAT'S what happened that day, don't forget.

I apologise for the calculated hateful behaviour of the above people. Dan3345, don't worry, decent Europeans stand together with the USA today.

No apology is necessary. I believe most thinking people realize the actions of a few do not represent the beliefs of the majority. It's like Pronam said in a previous post-you can find someone like that in any group of people. And, to tell you the truth, as much as I abhor anyone burning my country's flag, I believe there is a greater issue of free speech involved. That was how this country began, and far be it for me to decide what is acceptable or not in that regard. I'm not sure about arson, though. Thank you for your support on this day and for standing together with us.

Edited by MaidenUSA

I've just gotten home from school, we're 6 hours ahead of New York in timeline, and i remember watching the planes crashing into the buildings one after the other, then the people jumping out of the towers. It was all so suerreal i actually started crying because i refused to accept that it was real. And then the towers just collapsed and that sent me in a weeklong shock! That's my story, i was 12 years at the time. :O

In hopes of not getting this terribly wrong I am going to assume you are somewhere in Europe. How do others in Europe feel about the events of September 11th? On a certain image board (which shall go nameless to keep the peace) the Europeans there a very insensitive and basically mock us Americans over the whole thing.

Can you clarify? I have both an American passport and one from a European country so I have no idea what you mean.

Was at school... I think? Most very likely, but I don't remember. Always love and honor those who were lost, but at the same time, I do not think it is right to believe their lives are more valuable than everyone else's. We are all human beings one and the same...

I've just gotten home from school, we're 6 hours ahead of New York in timeline, and i remember watching the planes crashing into the buildings one after the other, then the people jumping out of the towers. It was all so suerreal i actually started crying because i refused to accept that it was real. And then the towers just collapsed and that sent me in a weeklong shock! That's my story, i was 12 years at the time. :O

Can you clarify? I have both an American passport and one from a European country so I have no idea what you mean.

Stardusk, I am not here to clarify above poster's comment, but to advise that I have just sent you an email. - Lynne (grannywils)

I have no problem with free speech, but that's precisely what didn't happen today in the UK. The aforesaid microbes were allowed to go ahead with their flag burning, because they were from a community group who must not be offended (sarcasm), whereas the group who were banned from protesting at the flag burning were from the politically incorrect English Defence League. I hold no brief for them, but I would like to see Home Secretary Theresa May explain herself as to her gross infringement of free speech here.

I was 41 then, and in the Navy 17 years at that time, that entire month was and Still Is, A Very Bad one for me.

My Grandfather (Mothers side), my last remaining Grandparent, died on September 7th, my Dad died of a sudden heart attack on September 14, and for all intents and purposes I was separated by the end of that month.

With a final divorce the next August, when I got back from deployment, with the John F. Kennedy Battle Group.

That morning I was an STG1(SW) (that is a Surface Sonar Technician) and the Officer of the Deck on the USS Hue City CG-66, an Aegis Cruiser, tied to the pier at Jacksonville Florida, I had the 4am to 8am watch.

My watch team was responsible for getting the ship under way that morning as we were doing an inspection cycle and had to do a simulated battle problem out to sea, which if we passed, would have passed us for that inspection.

Myself the OOD and my watch team which consisted of a Petty Officer of The Watch and a Messenger of The Watch had secured our station at the Starboard Quarterdeck and turned over everything to the the Bridge to get the ship under way from the pier.

I think it was close to or a bit after 8am when we left the pier with our full crew and the inspection team on board.

We had left the pier and was heading out to the first buoy, when rumors of something had happened in New York began to flash around the inside of the ship.

It was not a few minutes after that the Captain from the inspection team got on the 1MC (Ships Announcing circuit), and told us that we had passed the inspection in light of what had happened in New York.

He said that we had been doing a great job on everything leading up to the battle problem and that he knew we would have passed that with flying colors any way and that the ship had better and more pressing things to do than to go do that battle problem.

And that we were going to drop the inspection team off on a tug boat at the first buoy and head North to the Virginia Capes area to start steaming in a box to provide air cover to that section of the coast line in case of further attack.

And to monitor any other aircraft traffic, and when eventually all aircraft were grounded to catch any others that might be ignoring that order.

Which is described very well, on this USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) webpage:

"When terrorists attacked the United States on September 11, 2001, USS John F. Kennedy took up Operation Noble Eagle duty, establishing air security over American cities along the mid-Atlantic coast, including Washington, D.C."

All ships that could get under way from Jacksonville that morning did so, and we were all part of the John F. Kennedy Battle Group.

So we dropped of the inspection team off and made flank speed to our assigned area off the coast of Virginia, it didn't take long for us to get there.

Like I said before my Grandfather passed on the 7th and I was not notified (that is another story for the reasons why), my Dad died on the 14th, the ship was on station by then when the Red Cross message with both of them on the same message came that they both had died.

So I was flown off the ship to attend the funeral, and I made it from that ship to Denver, Colorado in less that 24 hours, total luck, if you want to call it that, I am sure it was something else.

I was able to go from my ship on a helo to the carrier, USS John F. Kennedy, I walked from that helo to a mail plane launched from the carrier flew to Naval Air Station Oceana, got off that plane walked to another one that flew me to Peterson Field in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Got a rental car and was at my Dad's house at just after sundown.

I got back to the ship 2 weeks later, I think it was and met them back in Jacksonville on the pier.

And as I already said about combined with being separated by the end of the month, it is the most Devastating Month Of Memories of my life, I lost my Grandfather, my Dad, my family, and the country lost any last remaining part of it's innocence.

I wanted to reply yesterday when I first saw your post but I just had no words, and I still really don't. That really is a horrid series of events and it takes a lot of grit to keep yourself together through all that. My hat is off to you.

I still watch the recordings and dramatizations, and it still all seems so surreal to me. It's strange to see how at a time, we were so vulnerable, and still are in some regards. I only wish that the victims' families are at rest with this whole disaster and that something like this can be forever avoided. There's just no need to bring out the worst in human nature.