How Could Combat Be Improved?

rjhelms84

While working on my current mod project, Beyond Boulder Dome, someone brought up the issue of combat and the ways it might be lacking in Vegas. So for BBD, I want to improve upon the combat experience of the vanilla game.

That's where you come in. What is your opinion of the combat in New Vegas or Fallout 3? In what ways is it lacking? How could it be improved? Are there any combat elements you'd like to see? Do you have any cool ideas related to this topic?

Any and all opinions are welcomed!

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by rjhelms84

Here's one thing I noticed. When I released the Desert Fox armor, I fortified Bonnie Springs and put a bunch of bad guys in it. The nature of my changes meant I had to make a lot of new navmeshes, and when I did that, I did the find cover thing and everything.

I suspect there are a lot of vanilla areas that don't do this because I noticed a big change in how these guys attacked. They would hide behind sandbags, go down the ramps and around buildings to flank me, etc. All very unexpected and made it a big challenge.

Maybe it's just me and the regular game does do this, but something to check in to.

Here's one thing I noticed. When I released the Desert Fox armor, I fortified Bonnie Springs and put a bunch of bad guys in it. The nature of my changes meant I had to make a lot of new navmeshes, and when I did that, I did the find cover thing and everything.

I suspect there are a lot of vanilla areas that don't do this because I noticed a big change in how these guys attacked. They would hide behind sandbags, go down the ramps and around buildings to flank me, etc. All very unexpected and made it a big challenge.

Maybe it's just me and the regular game does do this, but something to check in to.

So all you did was add more navmeshing, or did you use some kind of scripting or something?

I would like awareness in combat to be more realistic. If two guys are standing beside each other and I kill one. The other should freak out.

[edit] Not just freak out, but act like he's aware his comrade was shot and that it is not a good thing.

Currently the bad guys have badguyzheimers. When there are 2 in a group and you snipe one from a distance, the other will have no recollection of the events that have transpired 10 second later. An example is you snipe and kill a guy in his group. His other group mate says "who's there?" [slowly walking in the wrong direction away from the shot] "it must have been nothing" while returning to stand beside a newly dead comrade.. completely oblivious to what just happened.

It would be better if when you shoot a bad guy his friends take cover, run away, or maybe crouch where they stand while shooting towards where they think the shot came from. They shouldn't come out of cover or forget what happened until some amount of game time has passed.

Edited by cancausecancer

Well the guns actually having recoil would be great. Leaning and prone would be awesome as previously stated by another. Also, the ability to actually sneak up on your enemy would be great, perhaps you could find away to make an knife killing animation, like when your behind them and pretty close, you press a certian key you slit their throat, stab them in the heart or stab them through the bottom of the mouth. The ability to throw your combat knife would be pretty cool as well, slash some guy and then kill the other guy by throwing the knife into their eye(yeah i totally jacked that from Farcry 3). Also, some sniping physics would be pretty cool too. I'm not sure if any of this is possible but it would be pretty cool if you can make it happen.

Is there a way to make crouching in game actually make you crouch? Fallout 3 and NV are currently the only games that I know of in that crouching doesn't actually make your character smaller and doesn't let him or her go through small spaces...:facepalm: