Dissapointed?

Fatalmasterpiece

First of all, before anyone gets bent out of shape, I think Bethsoft is doing a great job with the game. I can't wait to play it and it looks very exciting. However I wanted to vent some frustrations on a few points and see if others feel the same way.

After reviewing the hd videos and watching/reading pretty much everything I have on the game, there are a few things I find very disappointing.

- Armor, both the models and textures look rather bleh. I'm hoping this is just a Xbox issue but so far it looks like modders on the Nexus are still outdoing much of the vanilla artist's modeling.

- Pathfinding and AI, I still see npcs and creatures bumping into rocks and getting stuck. Also, the video in Bleakfalls Barrow, where the player sneak attacks the bandits by the campfire, the Orc just stands there as his friend drops dead. Who does this? He should scramble for cover, run for help, look around, something!

- Back peddling still looks like a viable ranged tactic. Needs to be slowed much more.

- Ambient lighting and actor shadows. I've really been hoping to see with the addition of dynamic shadows the reduction in using invisible lights in favor of sourced lights which cast shadows. I still see a lot of them though so it seems we will have to depend on a mod to fix that issue, ala darker dungeons. Often, actors still do not cast shadows upon the floor and ambient light makes dungeons far too bright.

There are a lot of great improvements from TES 4 to 5, but these are a few things that I was hoping would be amongst them.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-I think the armor models look fantastic A+ from me .. the textures were blurry for sure though .. it was the 360 version

-AI .. yea .. could be better .. but I'm not a scripter/programmer and I don't know what they are having to deal with .. I'm sure they could make it smarter is they wanted but something is causing them to keep it simple .. this is still a current gen open world RPG

-meh..

-Shadowing looks blocky for sure .. lighting is nice .. lets hope the PC version has shadow detail options

Non of this surprises me so I'm not disappointed .. I understand the restrictions placed on them .. RPGs are very complex beasts and open world ones like this are hard to do .. its why bethesda is the only company that makes games of this scale and why they get so much respect for it.

I thought the armour looked pretty good. Either way, it's a step-up from Oblivion.

NPCs will be dumb for a while, I guess.

Haven't seen an backwards movement in an video yet, so can't comment.

Someone will make an enhanced shaders mod for Skyrim.

I really hope the guys who made .. http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34868 .. Will make something along the same lines for Skyrim :D .. That mod kicked butt

From about 7:40 in

video you can see back peddling still looks quite fast, it's also a good example of the poor pathing.

Horse still seem to wander away after dismounting... x_x

As far as lighting goes, it just seems like torches are yet again unnecessary.

Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

I think some people get to carried away with things they want to see, or think it should have. After all who's going to play vanilla after the first 5-6 months anyways, maybe longer for some of the more complex mods, but ill be looking for some armor and weapon mods after my first play through or even make my own.

I just hope they make it possible for modders to improve on any aspect of the game that they see fit, and not be limited it least as much as possible. Typically i think i modder is going to spend more time on 1 thing say like armor than the artists would, cause they have so much more to do.

They are creating everything in this world, every single detail can't possibly be accounted for, even if this was next gen. Personally id rather see current gen that modders are some what familiar with, and not to mention hopefully have a very stable engine to work off of. I hated the fact that oblivion would crash after you modded it or at least increased the chance of it.

Sure those little artistic touches would go a long way or even a next gen game, but id still rather a good solid engine, a good story, and controls. Starcraft 2 for example, where at first when i never played number 1 and i thought ill never get into this game for sure. Played campaign and i was hooked, i don't even really like rts all that much but the story was great. I think i've played through it 6-7 times. Other games like BlackOps was supposed to be next gen fps, i maybe logged 6 hours into it. Played campaign once it wasn't bad but it felt dry and boring and times, haven't played it since.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the AI. It's pathetic that the guy just stood there when his friend was killed.

That whole video was dissapointed as far as Ai is concerned. Once the player walks down the tunnel, the Redguard just attacks him. Shouldn't he say "Who are you?!" or at least make a noise?

I was also disappointed with the orc who just stood around waited to get shot

However my biggest worry / disappointment concerns the changes bethesda made to the skills and attributes

Instead of the old Attributes: Strength, Intelligence, Endurance, Agility, Speed, Willpower, Personality, and Luck... there are now just health / magicka / stamina

I quite liked the old system in which your characters' fatigue / magicka / and stamina were derived from the main 7 attributes... with this old system it was possible to level your skills in a systematic way allowing your character to receive two +5 bonuses along with one +1 in luck and u could get all your attributes to 100 anywhere from between level 40 to lv 50.

It seems to me that with this new system... all characters of equal level will be equally powerful (only differences being perks + skills)... This is regrettable because lost will be the great satisfaction of forging a superior character... (unless there is skill and a method to choosing perks)

Gaining Perks for every level is a nice addition.... but i dont think i favor them over the ES III + IV class / attribute / leveling system... i wish they added perks and kept the old ways unchanged...

come to think of it... i dont even think there are birth signs in this game--- which takes another customizable character option away from the gamer

MY biggest gripe--- they cut two skills... Athletics + Acrobatics

-these were the best skills in the game for the simple reason that they rewarded the player for hours spent by enabling the character to get around in a faster and more enjoyable manner.... also it is the easiest way for the gamer to feel like his character is powerful.... A lightning quick character who can jump over multiple houses in a single bound was the easiest way for me to draw pleasure from my powerful character

now, it seems, that a character fresh out of the sewers (or whatever skyrim's equivalent of the sewers will be) will be just as fast as a character that has logged 200+ hours... If this turns out to be true its HORRIBLE NEWS... i just dont understand how bethesda could cut these skills

In oblivion... i was a master of Athletics, Alteration, and Restoration... I had 500 magicka and could cast multiple fortify speed / fortify athletics / + fortify acrobatic spells... I would cast multiple of these spells and zoom about the wilderness with 300 speed / acro / athletcs... The feeling i got from doing this couldnt be rivaled by any other game

If this isnt possible in TES V... ill be seriously disappointed... to wander across Skyrim for 200 hours all at the same speed is a ludicrous idea... and one that'll seriously damper my spirits if it is true... which i fear it is