Dissapointed?

Fatalmasterpiece

I'm not being whiny, I'm being serious. I love Bethesda and their work, but their mistakes seem to repeat themselves while they basically just improve the environments and the graphics. I will love every second of Skyrim, but these are the things I noticed. Everyone will notice things they don't like, whether they know it or not, they do. When you see a new trailer from Skyrim, the first things you notice are the bugs/things you know could have been better.

I honestly don't think the AI is that much improved from Oblivion, maybe the dialogues. If you see the guy just standing there after his friend was shot, you clearly see that it was the work of the makers of Oblivion, when you see that NPC (bandit?) in the cave, rushing towards you and just starts swinging his massive weapon at you without any questions or explanations, you will (once) again notice that it's the work of the makers of Oblivion, when you see rain falling through solid 10 inch stone roof, you know for the third time that Bethesda made that game.

Basically, all of the finishing moves are twitchy and literally really off. Example is the nosy git in the spider web, when he runs away and the player stabs him, he speeds up to him out of thin air due to the finishing animation, which by the way is twitchy. When the player's killing the wolves in the beginning, you see that the animation of his knee-kick also is rather twitchy.

I agree.

But no matter how many bugs Skyrim has, I will enjoy it very much!

And on a more positive note, the bugs that are listed here might as well be already fixed, or will be fixed until the release date.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I am glad they aren't done yet, they still got some issues to fix. Like I saw a picture of somebody in-game holding a battle axe and his hand goes through the handle. I'm sure all those little problems will be fixed by the time it releases. (:

And on topic I say it's way too early to be "disappointed" about things that still might improve before release. The modders will take care of whatever Bethesda doesnt, so it's all good anyway!

It appears we modders will have another big job ahead of us fixing Skyrim like we fixed Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Do you honestly expect the opposite in Skyrim? :P It's always like this in these huge games. I think it's understandable that they cant perfect every bit by themselves, and I dont mind participating in fixing/improving the details after release.

I'm not being whiny, I'm being serious. I love Bethesda and their work, but their mistakes seem to repeat themselves while they basically just improve the environments and the graphics. I will love every second of Skyrim, but these are the things I noticed. Everyone will notice things they don't like, whether they know it or not, they do. When you see a new trailer from Skyrim, the first things you notice are the bugs/things you know could have been better.

I honestly don't think the AI is that much improved from Oblivion, maybe the dialogues. If you see the guy just standing there after his friend was shot, you clearly see that it was the work of the makers of Oblivion, when you see that NPC (bandit?) in the cave, rushing towards you and just starts swinging his massive weapon at you without any questions or explanations, you will (once) again notice that it's the work of the makers of Oblivion, when you see rain falling through solid 10 inch stone roof, you know for the third time that Bethesda made that game.

Basically, all of the finishing moves are twitchy and literally really off. Example is the nosy git in the spider web, when he runs away and the player stabs him, he speeds up to him out of thin air due to the finishing animation, which by the way is twitchy. When the player's killing the wolves in the beginning, you see that the animation of his knee-kick also is rather twitchy.

This is very true, sadly this has become some sort of a trademark of theirs...if someone mentions these points the only thing we can say is "its Bethesda" becouse they repeating the same thing over and over but with improved graphics and now finally with a little improved animations.

Having all those micro/macro details that Todd mentions everywhere is nice, but no matter how much eyecandy they make it wont excuse them for poor AI and weather that ignores objects, especially when this system is several years old and should have been dealt with...but its Bethesda ofcourse.

I will have much fun playing the game but i will be sad to be bothered again by exactly the same things i was in oblivion...duh.

How is it a game like Thief: The Dark Project still have better stealth and AI abilities than this game 13 years later? Why doesn't the AI react to dead bodies, violence or other events?

^ This.

Why Bethesda didn't have Emil Pagliarulo give the the rest of the team a few useful pointers on AI behaviour is beyond me.

AI takes a lot of calculation from your PC .. they have to balance things .. the more complicated the AI script is the slower the game runs .. why cant you guys understand that? .. sure they could make it better but to make up for it they might have to remove a lot of the pickup items on screen like flowers and stuff .. Ive always thought they should remove the ragdolls once they rest in one spot just freeze them in place... they could save some CPU

NPC behaviour doesn't necessarily require a lot of CPU-intensive realtime AI calculation, why can't you guys understand that? Much can be accomplished by simple behaviour rules, such as "if AI character spots dead ally -> raise alarm and begin searching for non-allies".

Good point .. But I was referring to the land navigation not the arrow scene .. As I stated a few pages back I think they did that to make things more fair for the stealth players .. Oblivion stealth was a *censored* .. It wasn't impossible and often times was more fun but the second to tried shooting at a group of enemies that wouldn't split up they all knew exactly where you were ~_~ .. I guess the guy should have at least been like "what the hell??" .. and in one of the demos he did .. sorta .. he was like "whos there?" lols .. as he just stood there

when you see that NPC (bandit?) in the cave, rushing towards you and just starts swinging his massive weapon at you without any questions or explanations, you will (once) again notice that it's the work of the makers of Oblivion

If you're an outlaw hiding out in a cave, when you see a person you don't know in the cave (who went past your friends, meaning he killed them) you try to kill the trespasser. I agree with your other points though.