Dissapointed?

Fatalmasterpiece

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I'm really worried about is the AI. It's pathetic that the guy just stood there when his friend was killed.

That whole video was dissapointed as far as Ai is concerned. Once the player walks down the tunnel, the Redguard just attacks him. Shouldn't he say "Who are you?!" or at least make a noise?

Being someone who tried to play as a stealth archer in oblivion I found it waaay to hard compared to the other classes .. the enemies noticed you the second you took one out so you better hope you have an invisibilty spell of potion on hand.. Its good to see they evened the odds .. plus he might have had a really high sneak level and in another demo the guy did yell out "whos there?" .. as far as navigation .. idk .. it wasnt any worse than F3 or Oblivion .. at least they switched into a combat stance instead of just walking casualy up to you like they did in oblivion xD lol

@DunmerDruid

I have to agree. It seems like with each TES installment, your character becomes progressively simpler. From Morrowind, to Oblivion and now Skyrim we have far less options in creating a unique character in attributes, item slots, skills, signs etc. So essentially you are more like any other character of your same level. It is almost as if they are getting closer and closer to a game like Assassin's Creed where your character is just a pre-created protagonist who's game play is essentially similar to any other player's.

I was also disappointed with the orc who just stood around waited to get shot

However my biggest worry / disappointment concerns the changes bethesda made to the skills and attributes

Instead of the old Attributes: Strength, Intelligence, Endurance, Agility, Speed, Willpower, Personality, and Luck... there are now just health / magicka / stamina

I quite liked the old system in which your characters' fatigue / magicka / and stamina were derived from the main 7 attributes... with this old system it was possible to level your skills in a systematic way allowing your character to receive two +5 bonuses along with one +1 in luck and u could get all your attributes to 100 anywhere from between level 40 to lv 50.

It seems to me that with this new system... all characters of equal level will be equally powerful (only differences being perks + skills)... This is regrettable because lost will be the great satisfaction of forging a superior character... (unless there is skill and a method to choosing perks)

Gaining Perks for every level is a nice addition.... but i dont think i favor them over the ES III + IV class / attribute / leveling system... i wish they added perks and kept the old ways unchanged...

come to think of it... i dont even think there are birth signs in this game--- which takes another customizable character option away from the gamer

MY biggest gripe--- they cut two skills... Athletics + Acrobatics

-these were the best skills in the game for the simple reason that they rewarded the player for hours spent by enabling the character to get around in a faster and more enjoyable manner.... also it is the easiest way for the gamer to feel like his character is powerful.... A lightning quick character who can jump over multiple houses in a single bound was the easiest way for me to draw pleasure from my powerful character

now, it seems, that a character fresh out of the sewers (or whatever skyrim's equivalent of the sewers will be) will be just as fast as a character that has logged 200+ hours... If this turns out to be true its HORRIBLE NEWS... i just dont understand how bethesda could cut these skills

In oblivion... i was a master of Athletics, Alteration, and Restoration... I had 500 magicka and could cast multiple fortify speed / fortify athletics / + fortify acrobatic spells... I would cast multiple of these spells and zoom about the wilderness with 300 speed / acro / athletcs... The feeling i got from doing this couldnt be rivaled by any other game

If this isnt possible in TES V... ill be seriously disappointed... to wander across Skyrim for 200 hours all at the same speed is a ludicrous idea... and one that'll seriously damper my spirits if it is true... which i fear it is

I understand that to a lot of hardcore RPG players the more the better is sorta the case .. allowing fine tuning and such .. but a lot of players found it insainly annoying to deal with all that when training your skill .. "oh crap I'm out of magic cause I missed with every slow ass fire ball .. now I need to use my sword .. CRAP! .. now I leveled my blade skill and I wont get that +5 willpower" .. thats the kinda complexity I can do without .

Edited by jedimembrain

You guys got to remember simple is usually good. Complexity is bad. The best way to solve this is the interface is simple but the background and every other detail is complex. Like an OS. Let the game do the annoying stuff for you. This is how Skyrim is doing it.

@DunmerDruid-While they did take the actual attributes out, (most of) the benefits are still conferred by the health, magicka, and stamina stats. We talked about it in another thread, but I'm sure that it's been confirmed that raising your stamina slightly increases jump height and either run speed when sprinting or overall movement speed. It might do both, I'm not exactly sure. I think it was Camonna that said it. I did like having a variety of attributes to level, but I think that as long as they don't reduce the number of skills any further, the game should be ok.

Overall, I paid too much money to be disappointed with the game, so if it does suck, I'll just fool myself into believing otherwise.

@Camonna

I agree but the point is that a player who makes a Dunmer who focuses on archery and stealth at lvl 10 shouldn't have the exact same character as another player who does the same. In Morrowind, say the two players met, one might be faster, the other more resilient. You shouldn't know what to expect or feel like your character is just a level 10 archer wearing leather greaves and shirt.

You guys got to remember simple is usually good. Complexity is bad. The best way to solve this is the interface is simple but the background and every other detail is complex. Like an OS. Let the game do the annoying stuff for you. This is how Skyrim is doing it.

So you want a simple Call of Duty style game in TES world with "press x to do awesome"?

There is no real middle in complex and simple.

Edited by antonkr

I have to agree. It seems like with each TES installment, your character becomes progressively simpler. From Morrowind, to Oblivion and now Skyrim we have far less options in creating a unique character in attributes, item slots, skills, signs etc. So essentially you are more like any other character of your same level. It is almost as if they are getting closer and closer to a game like Assassin's Creed where your character is just a pre-created protagonist who's game play is essentially similar to any other player's.

First, to simplify a gameplay mechanic is not necessarily to remove the depth that mechanic provides. Ask yourself, did your acrobatics skill ever actually matter in Oblivion or Morrowind? The Oblivion perk of being able to attack in midair is basically all the entire skill had to offer that was ever even conceivably of any use. And as Jedi commented above, did you ever actually have any fun keeping track of your skill increases so you could level efficiently? I dunno about you, but I tried to do it once and got sick of it before I even got to level 2.

Secondly most of the "removals" of options in Skyrim haven't been removed at all: They've just been pushed out of character generation so the player can respec.