Dissapointed?

Fatalmasterpiece

There are no justifications for that NPC's actions. Regardless of skills, magics or abilities, seeing your friend drop dead in mid conversation with an arrow in their chest would do more than simply cause you to pause and raise your guard. Edited by Fatalmasterpiece

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fear paralysis is a very real thing: You can become so overwhelmed by what's going on that you lose your ability to react. Especially if the instigating event comes when you're least expecting it.

Still, that's probably not what they were going for: If freezing in terror was intentional, they could have given the bandit a reaction of fear and terror instead of just pulling out his weapon and standing there.

There is a difference between what you think you should do in such an event and what you would actually do. One could tell their self that they have no problems with killing someone going into the military and react completely unexpectedly when it actually occurs. I do believe the AI was a little funny and I highly doubt that they intended the delayed reaction to have anything to do with realism, but I'm not that concerned about that. I'm concerned about how they use battle tactics in groups. I want to be surprised in combat, rather than just overwhelmed.

There is a difference between what you think you should do in such an event and what you would actually do. One could tell their self that they have no problems with killing someone going into the military and react completely unexpectedly when it actually occurs. I do believe the AI was a little funny and I highly doubt that they intended the delayed reaction to have anything to do with realism, but I'm not that concerned about that. I'm concerned about how they use battle tactics in groups. I want to be surprised in combat, rather than just overwhelmed.

I think it has to do a lot with tactics...if the AI is already so poor in simple things like taking cover i doubt you will see any improvement in tactics.

Edited by pavy

The reason it's so dissapointing is that it shows combat is just a game of numbers. You're not going to be surprised because I know if my sneak skill is X above my enemies level or stat that they will just stand there while I stab sharp objects into their friends. This was the problem in Morrowind, the problem in Oblivion and is still a problem. How is it a game like Thief: The Dark Project still have better stealth and AI abilities than this game 13 years later? Why doesn't the AI react to dead bodies, violence or other events?

Eh, being surprised by enemies often is something that's simply not going to happen for a while.

1. The sneak skill determines how visible the player is (or another NPC is) to an NPC. But whether the player can see someone or not depends on whether they can actually see them: The only way to make this work would be to hide the character model entirely from the player according to the same detection rules NPCs use. Which means you'll suddenly have invisible baddies appearing out of nowhere.

2. So the alternative would be to make the AI smart enough to actually sneak around and get behind the player without them noticing. And if enemies are still blaming arrows to the face on the wind... Yeah I wouldn't expect that any time soon.