Anyone is going to work on a blocking mod?

topeira

Blocking while dual-wielding sounds like a good idea, and I don't know why they don't have it in the first place. I don't know what we can do with the construction set so I can't say whether or not we'll see this any time soon. It might be easy to fix, or it might need some kind of complicated workaround, might require a script extender, might need new animations, or any number of other things.

Certainly I'll TRY to mod dual-wield blocking into the game when I get it.

ah, just the man i hoped will rise to the challenge. i know and love your OB mods.

i dont remember if i stated this but blocking can be done with a sword and a torch, so i can only assume that the animation for this exists. just replace the torch with the secondary weapon.

and the blocking with weapon+spell can be done with the blocking of weapon+empty hand animation.

i always figured that creating animations is the most problematic aspect of new actions. i hope the game's structure will allow this.

personally im all FOR balance, making blocking (in styles that bethesda disabled blocking in) harder to pull off or less effective. i think that having the need to time blocking with dual wielding and magic+weapon can be the trade off.

i loved the parrying mods for OB where timing of the block would cause staggering of enemies. allowing only parry on none-block-able styles can be really cool.

I'm not a modder nor have I never modded but I do sure hope before the game releases in 57 days that they do something in order for you to block while dual wielding.

By the way I have nothing agaisnt modding or modders, I've just never been able to. (:

Not being able to block is stupid but only kind of. It is exactly what dual wielding with rapier and dagger was developed for in real life. In fact one would actually block with the sword and stab with the dagger as much as fight with sword and block with dagger. The problem with implementing it is that it would only work with against someone with small blades and not hacking weapons like axes and maces. An enemy attacking you with a 1h axe or mace or any 2h weapon would go right thru your 1h weapon block. The fighting culture of skyrim seems more about hacking than finess.

the offhand weapons made for oblivion looked nice but it was ridiculous that a little dagger could withstand a 2h hammer blow in exactly the same way a shield would. And don't get me started on arrows.

A double wielded block that might work against a heavy weapon blow could be if the two 1h blades (or axes) were brought together crosswise.

When fighting an enemy with small swords or daggers one could find a way to right fight or block and left fight or block - but if the enemy has a heavy weapon like axe mace or 2h anything the block would be the both weapons held crossways block.

This would involve enemy weapon detection. That is the game detects what weapon your enemy is wielding and adjusts your blocking technique accordingly. Perhaps if the game engine does not do that it can be done with obse, or SBSE rather.

If a block is implemented for double wielding will it cause the blocking skill to increase? in the vanilla game one cannot block so there might be no automatic way to make a successfull 2w block increase your block skill.

There will almost certainly be a blocking mod for Skyrim. It'll be one of the first substantial gameplay mods released.

All the animations for blocking with a sword are out there, it's just a matter of triggering the gameplay.

Edited by Tuco404

I think you should be able to block no matter what you have equipped (except dual spells of course). Having dual weapons would be more difficult to block with, but hey people do it! And a staff......same. So yea I hope someone comes out with a mod to block, but I have no clue why they just didn't have blocking in the first place for dual weapons and such.

However it's too early to say if someone will actually do it. Great idea, but wait until the game comes out first :thumbsup:

ehhh.... I am pretty sure you can block with spells... sword + spell, dual spell, or whatever spell...

it doesn't function like the skill block, with shields and such. But there are spells specifically designed to act as shields (and better than shields from the look of those videos)

but yea,... the ability to block with any spell in hand? there is already a spell designed just for that and you'll have to have THAT spell readied to cause that kinda effect.

parrying is another matter I suppose. I am not sure I agree that this is really nessessary tho.