What Kind of Mod-Builder are You?

David Brasher

Mod-Building Style  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When you build mods, do you work best as part of a modding team or as an independent modder working all alone?

I work better on my own or with maybe one other person, it means there is no pressure, and I don't have to worry about things not being passed on.

I've never worked in a team. I doubt I could.

Not actually sure how much of being a Lone Wolf is actually by choice. There's part of me that loves the idea of other people being able to fill in the HUGE gaps of all the things I can't do myself.

But I'd probably find it exceedingly difficult to work with others since I already put myself under extreme amounts of pressure about what I do. If I was part of team, I'd probably triple that pressure on myself. Too nutty to work in a group.

Unfortunately, there's so much I don't know about modding and can't seem to learn, even with tutorials and help. Can't even make a simple .esp file or a normal map. :confused: I think I'd be more of a hindrance in a team than a help, so that alone would put me off being part of a group effort.

Nonetheless, there are times when the idea of working on a major project with a lot of other people does seem very exciting... :whistling:

Lone wolf here. My philosophy on modding would make me a really bad team member. I wouldn't wish myself on anyone.

For me it is totally about me doing the things that I want to do, so its not likely that I would be willing to listen to my team mates. I also tend to change my focus a lot, and bounce around between different projects. Whatever I am doing today might not be what I want to do tomorrow, and as a result a lot of things never get finished.

But that's OK, it doesn't matter if things don't get finished, and it doesn't matter if they never get released. Of course I want to finish and I want to release, but it doesn't matter if I never do. All that matters is that I enjoy doing what I am doing, and I don't think a team would ever be willing to buy in to that.:no:

So I just go my own way, and it's not really a choice, it's the only way it can be.8)

Can't even make a simple .esp file or a normal map. :confused: I think I'd be more of a hindrance in a team than a help

Making a normal map is fairly simple. The plugins for photoshop or gimp are a must. I prefer the Gimp version myself, as it has a color to alpha option, which is nice when making normals for shiny objects.

To make an esp file, I simply make a copy of a small esp. You can then load this copy into tes4edit and erase all the info, leaving it blank for your use. Also, I hear the construction set extender found here helps with that problem.

I can quite agree with you on wanting to stay away from team projects, but I have been very tempted in the past to participate in larger mods. I doubt you would be a third wheel, anybody can contribute to a large project somehow. I am loner by choice. I started a huge project which I will most likely never finish on my own. Nobody seems interested in helping me finish, which is fine. When Skyrim comes out, I will more than likely start a small project on my own for that too, but would be more inclined to help with a larger project for that.

Pm me if you want help with normal mapping. That part isn't so difficult for me. Also, I can teach you how to make stuff glow, in areas that you want it to.

Don't give up, this is a difficult hobby but can be very rewarding.

theuseless, thank you for the support and probably will pm you some time. I really do need to fix my awful grass normal maps :)

I prefer PS with the dds plugin. I'm so used to it, I don't like leaving my comfort zone with tools.

I've tweaked other people's esp files in CS, but never made my own. I tend to just tweak the ones from the mods I use all the time and slip in the things I want to change. I think I crammed in my weather changes to someone else's camera mod. That sort of thing.

I don't think I could stand starting a project I don't finish. I tend to work strictly within my limited capabilities. Once I come up with an idea, it HAS to be made somehow. I usually work all day and late into the night, every day, until it's done. I can't let a project go until it's complete.

If I really hit a stumbling block I'll give up for a little while and be grumpy :wallbash: But then it will keep bothering me until I can work my way around the problem.

Very single-minded. And stubborn :tongue:

Also - excuse the word but I can't think of another - heavily dyslexic in many ways. Tutorials just go in one ear and out the other with me. Almost everything I learn I just have to do by trial and error. Anything that doesn't click, I never seem to learn at all.

Got a very biased and fickle brain, it seems... :happy:

The biggest thing I've seen that helps large teams work on big projects is they usually have a seperate forum where they keep updates to all the files and they delegate who works on what to avoid crossover problems. Then they usually have 1 or 2 guys leading the project who uses TES4Edit, Wrye Bash, and Gecko to merge everything into a single plugin.