Plight of the arts

kvnchrist

Balagor is not your only ally, Aurielius. I have just come to the debate a bit late. I keep saying I am not going to post anymore, but here I am again.

For those who feel that art is unimportant or need not be funded, I say, "hooey". Art is among other things, history, science, language. Remember the cave paintings and all that was learned from them? Not only are they beautiful now for us to see, but they are representational of the society of the time. What about old Leonardo DaVinci. Was he an important guy? Do you think his art played an important role in science, history, the future of mankind. How about Michaelangelo, a guy with no money, who needed "funding".

Should we not be willing to see to it that we participate in keeping our young people interested in continuing this tradition and learning about the past in order to keep it going.

Come on people, think outside the box....

PS, and don't get me started on music, literature and theater (was Shakespere important??????)

personally I am most drawn to aesthetics in more than one circle, but to describe what Jim_UK's link is missing and since Granny did bring in the art of literature (Shakespear) I chooses a quote to explain what Jim_UK's link is missing in my humble optional 2 cent mind, instead of abusing more words in English..

One thing, however, did become clear to him (Goldmund) – why so many perfect works of art did not please him at all, why they were almost hateful and boring to him, in spite of a certain undeniable beauty. Workshops, churches, and palaces were full of these fatal works of art; he had even helped with a few himself. They were deeply disappointing because they aroused the desire for the highest and did not fulfill it. They lacked the most essential thing – mystery. That was what dreams and truly great works of art had in common: mystery.

Narcissus and Goldmund (1930)

Hermann Hesse

Edited by SilverDNA

Should we really fund art classes that are taught in a broken school system?

I think art is important as stated before, but if it is taught incorrectly then I see it as a waste of money.

I don't think the school system could correctly teach art, I would be happy to be shown otherwise though.

I think art is important as stated before, but if it is taught incorrectly then I see it as a waste of money.

I don't think the school system could correctly teach art, I would be happy to be shown otherwise though.

Art isn't taught or learned, it's a skill that is honed. So schools cannot teach art, but they can provide time and resources during the day with which one who is artistically inclined may hone their skills, receive and give feedback. In the 3rd grade I realized that I really enjoyed creating artwork. My art teacher, who I saw once every two weeks, let me know that I talent for art and recommended that I pursue it. Without her encouragement, I probably would have gone in an entirely different direction, and I'm glad that I didn't.

Maybe I'm an isolated case of success, but I can't separate myself from the situation enough to say that it wasn't worth the failures.:blush:

Art isn't taught or learned, it's a skill that is honed. So schools cannot teach art, but they can provide time and resources during the day with which one who is artistically inclined may hone their skills, receive and give feedback. In the 3rd grade I realized that I really enjoyed creating artwork. My art teacher, who I saw once every two weeks, let me know that I talent for art and recommended that I pursue it. Without her encouragement, I probably would have gone in an entirely different direction, and I'm glad that I didn't.

Maybe I'm an isolated case of success, but I can't separate myself from the situation enough to say that it wasn't worth the failures.:blush:

The system doesn't work like that for most people. For most people they are taught in groups and given tests, most people can't do what you described in our system.

Depends how you define the 'arts' but humanities are not practical per se; I spent most of my student years studying foreign languages and managed to turn it into some practical, the rest (history, literature, philosophy, etc.) has been relegated to the dustbin of the nether regions of my brain.