How to create a file. Esp?

Razor444

How to create a file. Esp?

Well, the easiest way would be to open the CS, go to Data Files or what it's called, only check "Oblivion.esm", clicking on "active" won't do anything, and let it open. If you then at any point click "save", it will ask for the name of your new ESP. Now you're modding.

Esps are easily created by the TES Construction Set. The instructions given to you by DrakeTheDragon are correct.

If you need to download it you can find the link on the CS Wiki.

Ok, but how it works if I have the files. and I want to turn into BSA. esp? How do I do?

Well, the BSA ("Bethesda Softworks Archive", if I'm not mistaken) is just an archive format for "resource files" (meshes, textures, sounds, etc.), so they can be neatly packed away but still used by the game. The folder structure "inside" a BSA is the exact same for files "outside" BSA. In the meshes BSA for example every file starts with "meshes/..." (well, mostly, but you get the idea). At least I think it does... maybe it starts "inside" meshes instead... need to check it out again.

There are mods which distribute their resource files directly to be unpacked into external folders and there are mods which distribute their resource files inside a BSA.

To get a BSA loaded by the game it has to be either registered in the "Oblivion.ini" in the entry "sArchiveList" or there has to be an ESP active with the same beginning of filename. For example if there is a "ShiveringIsles.ESP" and a "ShiveringIsles - Meshes.BSA", the BSA will automatically be loaded by the game (someone correct me, if I'm wrong here).

(Funny fact: That's the only purpose of "DLCShiveringIsles.esp", as it's completely empty.)

By default (meaning not on Steam) all "external" resource files (=openly accessible in your data folder) will always be used over internal ones in the BSAs but textures. External textures require Archive Invalidation to take precedence over internal ones. On Steam (in many cases I've heard of but not all) this seems to be the case for "all" resource files, not just textures.

To open or create a BSA you can use the BSA Browser from OBMM's Utilities or a command line tool the name of which should be "BSA Commander", but it's too long since I last used it and I'm not sure anymore.

However, ESP files don't go into BSAs. Only resource files do.

So what exactly is it you're asking for here? Maybe be a little more specific?

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

The .esp is the mod itself. It's what puts the changes into the game when you activate it. When you save something in the CS, you are normally saving an esp.

A BSA is like a ZIP file that the game can read. Many mods require additional textures and meshes and authors sometimes pack them into a BSA instead of having dozens of individual files. If you use a a BSA extractor such as OBMM or BSA Commander, you can unpack them all into your Data directory and they will work just as well there.

I know you're trying to translate the PowerAttack Voicemod - this is a fairly complex mod with scripting and I wouldn't attempt to modify it without learning at least the basics of modding and understanding how the conversation system works (a good beginners tutorial is here).