Can I do this with two mods? (Simple goal, long explanation)

miketheratguy

Actually the majority of mods are an esp and a collection of files organized in a folder structure starting with a Data folder. Organizing that collection of files into a bsa makes the bigger mods that don't require a bunch of choices to be made about which parts to install, a bit easier to install ... two files and copy into the Data folder. OMODs and BAIN installations make it easier to select which hair colour you want, with what eyes (and would you like a side of fries with that) for the beautification mods and that ilk.

If you had a backup of the edited esp that you are currently using you'd have all you need. At this point your esp is only using resources that are packed in the bsa that came with the Red Rose download. You would only need a backup of the bsa if you ever edited those resources yourself (after unpacking the bsa) or if Emma ever updated Red Rose and didn't leave a copy of the old version bsa available for download. She's generally good for leaving the old versions, but hard drive space is cheap, and if you had your own backup you'd be prudent. A backup of both files in a descriptively named backup folder (perhaps with some notes to yourself in a text file) ... you get the picture.

As you may be able to tell, I've untangled a bird's nest or two in my time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and I've discovered that when trial and error doesn't seem to work, talking directly with someone who's been there is the best way to understand.

So right now I have Red Rose functioning basically as I want it. All I need to do to keep a backup of this work is to save a copy of the esp? I mean, I might as well save a copy of the bsa and readmes in the same archive for future install convenience, but the esp is all that's really required to enable my changes?

I just want to be sure that I have what I need if I had to reformat my hard drive or switch computers or something. Don't want to go through this entire process again (though the biggest, most time-consuming problem- not being able to undo the original change to the mod- is the one I'm most concerned about repeating).

Yes, even though all that's absolutely required is the esp, why not keep a backup of everything, esp, bsa and your notes all in one folder or archive? If you need to re-install you have the esp and bsa ... if you decide to do some more tweaking down the road you have your notes to yourself. I find memory of what I've done and what I thought about doing but didn't get around to a little lacking ... the notes help avoid repeating errors or losing an idea that I'd didn't try at the time. In your case a step by step guide for yourself may come in handy down the road, if you run into a similar project.

Yeah note keeping is one thing I'm particularly good at. I have my own large document with descriptions of every mod I've ever tested and what my thoughts are about it. It definitely comes in handy and it gets added to constantly.

I've saved a copy of the esp, bsa, original readme, and my own description and history of the ups and downs with what it took to make (so hopefully I won't need to go through this kind of experience again).

I still really wish I understood what was keeping that first, original crash damage to the RRM mod. I'm hpayy that uninstalling it with OBMM finally got rid of it, but I wish I knew why nothing else was working. I hate not understanding these things (and pestering everyone on the forum about it with my lengthy posts).

No problem on my end with post length ... the ultimate in brevity "It don't work" and that's all leave a bit to be desired when asking for help. Nice thing about walking a mile into the woods is when you've managed to walk back out it really doesn't matter whether it was a mile back out or not ... seeing the sunshine is reward in itself.