What is more important, Justice or Mercy?

marharth

21 members have voted

1. 1. Justice or Mercy?

• Justice
    • Mercy
    • Other (I will explain in the topic)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a time for Justice and there is a time for Mercy and never the twain shall meet. That is my belief.

I believe that the two MUST be brought together, Justice tempered by Mercy.

There is a time for Justice and there is a time for Mercy and never the twain shall meet. That is my belief.

I believe that the two MUST be brought together, Justice tempered by Mercy.

Pretty much where I stand too. Taken on a case by case basis.

@ thread : Keep in mind that morality itself can be viewed as a flawed ideology too. For this thread, I'm taking 'justice' as being expected consequences of an action, i.e, you put your bare hand in a fire, it gets burned.

@ Sepherose ... Normally, yes I would agree wholeheartedly with your viewpoint.

... and yet sometimes we need to see a lot more instances where mercy is tempered by justice as well ... I'm fed up criminals walking away ...

Justice for the victim because there is no crime without a victim ... I vote Justice.

Edited by Nintii

I do not entirely believe in either, as I do not believe that the world is black and white.

In todays recession it is easy to become unemployed, and with not much help to get, let´s say you go all the way down the ladder: you steal some food.

Some would argue "thief" he must be punished, and justice has been done. Others would call for mercy, stating that the poor person did not eat for days. He had to.

It is not justified, but he did it. Third possibility could be, that no one actually had any guilt in this case, and some help to the poor man was required.

If we harm some one, the damage is done. We can not undo. Done is done. So I can not see how I can reverse that with a "justice is done". Moneytair compensation for material damages, yes, but that is something different. But making justice done with a punishment, does not allways serves as a satisfactory period in a case.

Showing mercy, shows greatness, but just like justice, it can not allways end a case/situation.

I am going to respond to the question as it was posed. I believe that mercy is more important to the human soul and psyche than justice. However, I also believe that both are important and required at given moments under differing circumstances.

"Too much mercy... often resulted in further crimes which were fatal to innocent victims who need not have been victims if justice had been put first and mercy second."

Agatha Christie

I think Agatha Christie sums up my view fairly well. Justice first then the utilization of mercy in it's application.