Brainstorming getting a Flail to work

jamochawoke

Just a little update on the animations. Today I butchered my first enemy with a chaim mace. He was so amazed seeing this new weapon, he hardly defended himself. :)

So I have (swinging) idle, walkforward and walkfastforward, and all 4 non-power attacks ready. I also copied the weopon moves into 1st person. With some not so good effects. Like the whole weapon is rotated about 45°. So I have to make 1st person anew.

But I think, I will have a relase ready by end of the month. Way ahead of Skyrim (I hope). So guys, come on. I need help with the nif problems from my previous post.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dummy blunt visible in invertory screen

Dummy blunt and quiver sheathed on back

The first one, did you just need an icon made or is the "clothing" piece of the mace not showing up in the inventory screen? I am confused by this.

The second one. Wouldn't this be easier to put it on the side weapon node?

I'm beginning to think we might have gone the wrong way and it might be easier to seperate the weapon. Like the dummy blunt can include only the handle of the mesh (so it shows up) and the chain and ball part can be the clothing. I will see what I can rig up in Blender over the next few days.

Dummy blunt visible in invertory screen

Dummy blunt and quiver sheathed on back

The first one, did you just need an icon made or is the "clothing" piece of the mace not showing up in the inventory screen? I am confused by this.

The second one. Wouldn't this be easier to put it on the side weapon node?

I'm beginning to think we might have gone the wrong way and it might be easier to seperate the weapon. Like the dummy blunt can include only the handle of the mesh (so it shows up) and the chain and ball part can be the clothing. I will see what I can rig up in Blender over the next few days.

Ok, I was too short on that. The problem is, that we need a long real weapon as dummy, otherwise you won't hurt anyone with your clothing. RCMage2 has made the weapon invisible in gamemode, but unfortunately the weapon shows up (on the PC) in inverntory. Also because he used a one-hander as model for the dummy, this dummy is sheathed on the back. And on top of that even during the time the the weapon is equipped.

You should really install his files (together with my running anim) to understand the problem.

Hi guys, just to let you know where I am at right now.:)

I have a working esp with the auto equip scripts and they work fine. I have looked at the script commands for the ground item (OnDrop and OnAdd) and they should work though I haven't tested them yet. I will post the esp in this thread probably on the weekend. Hopefully I will have the ground item included.

On the reach of the weapon, that is set in the CS. I have tested it with a reach of two and a reach of four and I think I will try a longer reach. That is something we will have to decide on to see what feels right.

The collision on the dummy matches the length of the flail. I can stretch it out longer but I don't think that will have any effect on combat, (or maybe the reach set in the CS relates to the collision, not sure, but not a problem), though it might allow for knocking things off shelves and tables from a longer distance. My original idea of adding collision to whip bone8 in the skeleton does not work, I tested it and the collision on the skeleton only effects the rag doll .

For the position of the weapon when not in combat, could we not do that with the basic Idle.kf Move the whip root to the left hip and wrap the chain around the handle like the picture below, this could also work for a Bull Whip. I would have to change the bone weighting on the handle, removing the weighting to the right hand and replacing it with weighting to the whip root. This would not have any affect on animations that are already done, all it would do is allow us to put the weapon on the hip when not in combat.http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/RGMage2/FlailIdleRender.jpg

I've tried this Idle.kf myself and it was a little bit glitchy, but I think I just didn't get the bone weight priorities right.

I had thought about a two handed Idle pose but I think that would probably only be suitable for GoGo's flail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCtLZV0uHlI&feature=player_detailpage&list=ULeCtLZV0uHlI

It's great to see you'e getting along so well, RGMage2. With the reach I think we should not make more than a two-handed blunt, because otherwise I'm afraid you could hit your allies even more often. I tested with a 1.3, and id worked great. Collision on the skeleton in my experience has no effect on enemy weapons, cause otherwise it would not be possible to cut through an enemy.

But one othe parameter will be speed. I'm using 0.8 right now. But for my taste this is still too fast in 3rd person and too slow in 1st. But I'm still not happy with my 1st person animation (they are a real pain in the neck).

But one thing seem impossible to me. You can't position the flail with idle.kf. As soon as your PC does anything else (simply walk) your flail will move with your right hand. Or did I miss anything?

I asked Growlf in his thread if he would add whip bones to his 1st person Universal skeletons. I can't think that you want to care for another quasi standard skeleton as well. :)

But one thing seem impossible to me. You can't position the flail with idle.kf. As soon as your PC does anything else (simply walk) your flail will move with your right hand. Or did I miss anything?

It is as you say. The whip root parented to the right hand so moves with the right hand, but I might be able to compensate for that. I am not sure yet.

I asked Growlf in his thread if he would add whip bones to his 1st person Universal skeletons. I can't think that you want to care for another quasi standard skeleton as well. :)

Agree. Releasing our own version of the 1st person skeleton would be a last resort. :)

It is as you say. The whip root parented to the right hand so moves with the right hand, but I might be able to compensate for that. I am not sure yet.

I'm wondering how you want to compensate. There is no way but modifying every other animation in the game.

Agree. Releasing our own version of the 1st person skeleton would be a last resort. :)

Yes, and OUCH :ohdear: I noticed, that your WhipRoot is connected differently in your skeleton than in coronerra's 3rd person. Acually it took me several hours after I tried to copy some key data from 3rd to 1st person animations. Why is that? Is this necessary for your rigging? I doubt that we can convince Growlf to make a specialized setup because of us. And I would need to re-do all 1st person animations for a WhipRoot compatible skeleton. At least re-calculate and change all WhipRoot key data.

So I'll stop 1st person until we are clear about that.

Yes, and OUCH :ohdear: I noticed, that your WhipRoot is connected differently in your skeleton than in coronerra's 3rd person. Acually it took me several hours after I tried to copy some key data from 3rd to 1st person animations. Why is that? Is this necessary for your rigging? I doubt that we can convince Growlf to make a specialized setup because of us. And I would need to re-do all 1st person animations for a WhipRoot compatible skeleton. At least re-calculate and change all WhipRoot key data.

So I'll stop 1st person until we are clear about that.

If it is connected differently, then that is an error on my part. Could you explain to me how it is different because I can not see it.:)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/RGMage2/skeletons.jpg

I have no desire to release a mod that will require excessive support and hand holding, so I would like everything to be as simple as possible. :yes:

Just compare translation and rotation in NifSkope. Both differ. You hardly/don't see any difference in NifSkope either. But I can tell from the problems I had copying WhipRoot data from 3rd to 1st. So I believe it's mostly rotation along the y axis.

That's why I wrote in a previous comment, 1st person is a pain in the neck. Not any more. :)