New Beginning Tedium

Draconicone

So, I've started playing Oblivion again after a break of over a year or so and decided I'd start from scratch with a new Cute Elf character. (custom race 10 reflect damage, +75 Magicka, Weakness to shock and frost I think)

As much as I enjoy roaming around in the woods fighting wolves, crabs, and the occasional bandits in fur I'm finding the beginning levels to be extremely tedious. I feel as though I cant start questing yet, because any leveled item reward I earn will be worthless in about five levels. I'm also tiptoeing around the stats trying to get 3 +5s on my level ups because I seem to recall the monsters advancing in severity far faster than my character my last go. I'm also trying not to enter any dungeons that are even linked to quests, so I don't accidentally break the game. All in all getting a character that is balanced and of sufficient level that I'm not wasting quest rewards is killing a lot of the fun in the game.

I know I could use the console commands to generate the later evolutions of my quest rewards, but I'd like to avoid using the console unless really necessary.

So, how do you guys enjoy your early levels without ruining quest rewards that are crucial later or creating an unbalanced character that can't cut it in the later stages?

well, you could get the Quest Award Leveler (or something like that) mod, that does all the work without you using the console, and it replaces the items, so it will be even less 'cheating' than spawning the items via console

as for getting 3 +5s per level, i'm pretty sure you can only get 1 +5, which is through leveling 10 skills that use the same main attribute (these skills being your main skills, of course)

all in all, Oblivion isn't scaled all too well, as in the beginning it's really really hard, and it gets rather easy as you go on (especially if you play well, and make a good character)

so i would suggest you to go out and do some of the quests that you want to do anyhow (if you want to start guild quests, do that, as they are very good to start with), and get the reward leveler mod, so that your quest rewards will always be the best possible

Quest award leveler works to level up your quest weapons with you. A new mod allows you to see which dungeons are quest related. http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40436.

As for getting all +5 on level up, I rarely see even one +5, and not many 4s. It sounds like you want to play super human instead of a poor desperate adventurer expecting to be killed at any time, but willing to chance it for glory, treasure or altruism.

Don't worry so much about having a 'perfect' game and spend some time having fun. Be prepared to run when you encounter something you can't handle - I once beat Umbra on second level by running - all the way to the Imperial city with her chasing me. To my surprise, she was killed by the guards - as well as 6 guards and several NPCs. I reaped a bounty of armor and weapons - including the sword Umbra and a full set of ebony armor on second level. :tongue:

Dive into one of the guild quest lines and complete it. But don't be afraid to wander off track if you see an interesting looking ruin on your way to fulfill a quest. Get some good quest mods - I particularly like Glenvar Castle - very tough at low level though. But the reward is the best mod castle in the game - after you have enough cash to pay for the cleanup.

Save often, you can have as many saves as you want and they are FREE.

as for getting 3 +5s per level, i'm pretty sure you can only get 1 +5, which is through leveling 10 skills that use the same main attribute (these skills being your main skills, of course)

Well I know its possible to get at least 2 +5s, as I managed that, a random leveling of a couple other stats kept me from testing the 3 5s potential. I have read that you can get 3 +5s but you have to manage 10 level ups in 3 attributes (10 pts in major 20 in minors) but after trying this for a couple times... its too much work to keep it up.

well, you could get the Quest Award Leveler (or something like that) mod, that does all the work without you using the console, and it replaces the items, so it will be even less 'cheating' than spawning the items via console

I didnt realize such a mod even existed! I will have to check it out thank you!

It sounds like you want to play super human instead of a poor desperate adventurer expecting to be killed at any time, but willing to chance it for glory, treasure or altruism.

Don't worry so much about having a 'perfect' game and spend some time having fun. Be prepared to run when you encounter something you can't handle - I once beat Umbra on second level by running - all the way to the Imperial city with her chasing me. To my surprise, she was killed by the guards - as well as 6 guards and several NPCs. I reaped a bounty of armor and weapons - including the sword Umbra and a full set of ebony armor on second level.

Love the umbra story! I will check out those mods you suggested. The castle sounds interesting.

I'm not really looking to make a superhero, just a solid character that I can play through the whole game, and I thought that a good foundation would solidify that. Maybe I set my goals a little high.

I did join the thieves guild, and I have managed to fence around 3000 gold worth of silver and books so far, with a fairly low sneak it was kinda fun. I'm on to the 2nd special mission offered for them.

An imperial forester ran out in front of my arrow while deer hunting east of Leyawin after my earlier post. He started shooting back, so I took cover behind a rock and kept darting out to shoot him and diving back behind it before he could loose his arrows at me. Kept the rock between us for the whole fight and it was close but I won. It cost me 60 some arrows and I broke a bow, but I got his silver one! That was kinda fun. Thankfully the thieves guild cleared my bounty for only 520 gold.