Anyone else dissappointed?

Korodic

I personally never used a spear crossbow in MW I tryed to use throwing items but I always missed and when I did I just ticked off what ever I hit I could never get in to MW until blood moon came out that was the best expan ever but most of the time I was lost in MW when Ob came out I didn't even notice that there were no xbows thrown weapons or spears I just noticed how staffs were lame ad u couldn't melle with them so no I'm not at all worried and the number 1 thing I hated about MW is when I go to attack a guard or a shop keeper I would be using a 2 handed axe sword or a long sword and a shield and all I saw on my screen was my health bar depleting and the word miss all though I was swinging at there torso at Luke 1-3 foot away grrrrrrr if I could just hit this darn shop keeper

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we don't have throwing weapons in Skyrim?

I don't really like crossbows, I don't know if they would work right anyways.

Spears would be cool, but to be honest who is going to use a spear?

If I planned on melee, I definitely would at one point.

I'm gonna use stealth and magic, though.

It is dissapointing because the reason spears, crossbows, gloves, throwing weapons etc are not included comes down to time and effort put into these areas. It is dissapointing that it wasn't able to be spent on these things. However both time and effort have obviously been, for the first time, put into character appearence, distance lod, (hopefully) dungeon building, voice acting and NPC interaction. Honestly, I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

Still there is a big part of me wishing they had hired that one more designer, spent those extra weeks or thought over that detail just a little more so that Skyrim could top Morrowind in every aspect. So far though it seems that they do so in many ways.

I support the decision to remove spears, crossbows, and thrown items.

Why? Productive Asymmetry. Every option you give to the player should create a new option for the player to use in gameplay. This is why Frost sucked so hard in Oblivion because it was no different from Shock except for what things resisted it, except absolutely nothing was resistant to Shock so there was no reason to choose Frost over it. If Frost was straight-out removed from the game then new players would have had one less thing to waste their time on while learning the game.

The real solution to the Frost/Fire/Shock problem wasn't to remove the more useless members of the trio but to make them asymmetric. Give each one a special little Niche that they excel at even when you *don't* take resistances into account. This is precisely what they've done in Skyrim: Fire does the most damage, Shock does medium damage but also drains magicka, and Frost does the least damage but also drains Fatigue.

Now, here's the problem as it applies to the removed weapon types. Did any of them, in Morrowind, really give you any actual combat options? No, they did not. Your real choices were between Melee, Ranged, and Magic. The choices between Bows, Crossbows, and Projectiles were essentially purely cosmetic. It's a bit of needless extra complexity that contributes nothing to the game mechanics. This means these options should either be removed, or be redesigned as to contribute to the game mechanics. Ideally the latter option should be taken but I can get behind the former.

Gloves, though, I agree. Why do I have to wear wrist irons to have that extra enchantment while casting at full effectiveness? Thankfully they appear to be back in Skyrim if the screenshots are to be believed.

Edited by Alcrin

stuff

interesting view... I whole heartedly disagree. The difference in many cases were the execution of the attack, the options available to the attack forms you use, and don't forget, some of us like the shear feel of it. Theme goes a long way also.

And your completely wrong about Frost being the same as Shock in Oblivion,... you must be thinking of Morrowind.... In Oblivion a ranged Frost creates an area fog, anything caught inside the fog as it moves gets damaged, it keeps moving so long as it isnt blocked and keeps damaging more mobs even farther away, making frost the best AOE spell there is for ranged damage. Like I said above, execution is a big factor in using anything in these games.

To start, Thrown weapons were amazingly easy to use, faster than any other ranged weapon and consumable. They weren't a viable enchanting option unless you bought them already enchanted. These things in morrowind were one of my favorite 'toys' as well as my deadliest weapon(and the most expensive...)

If anything, I can't believe this was removed.

Crossbows I can't speak for other than it would be a purely cosmetic thing... I know quite well that I would rather have MY character carry around a crossbow, than a bow. And even if I didn't, I would certainly like to see NPC's and guards using them.

Spears, as far as combat options, would be longer melee range and style... if you don't put value in that, well some of us differ in this. (In oblivion, perks failed between blade and blunt, they were the same for whatever reason,... but in skyrim, different weapons have different status effecting perks, therefore spears would give another option there.) If you needed more than that, why not make them able to effect multiple targets? Your arguement with melee was with Morrowinds implementation of melee weapons... its not so hard anymore to expand in this area...

Now to cut these out for more time on other things; I find it hard to believe it was really such a hard thing to make a few throwable items and a simple animation for it with all the time they have had.. but okay, whatever, its their game and the're selling it. I'll certainly concede to that, lol.

Edited by El`derina