Anyone else dissappointed?

Korodic

I see no point in spears. You could just as rightly complain that their aren't any flails or halberds.

As for crossbows; there's something more elegant about a Robin Hood style bow. Not to mention if you're going for real gameplay, Crossbows take a long time to reload. Imagine having to shoot, then stand on the crossbow stop, drag the bow string back up to the lock, insert a bolt, step off the cross bow and then fire. You're a sitting duck the whole time.

Yes, Skyrim is a fantasy game but it does try to emulate reality to some extent. On the opposite end of the spectrum you have the Diablo 3 Demon Hunter who impossibly wields dual crossbows and is able to shoot at light speed.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite agree with M'aiq too, Fishfiend. So no, I am not disappointed.

Longbows beat crossbows every time.

Wise words indeed! (from the three of you)

Crossbows are a cocked one-shot-wonder for the untrained... the one redeeming factor is that they're immediately ready to shoot once loaded, just don't go for that second shot unless your opponent is 100 yards away and in heavy armor. :tongue: Realistically, thrown weapons are for the desperate and are relatively ineffectual especially against any kind of armored foe unless your watching a movie...

I'd like to add that the simple spear is the most versatile as well as the deadliest form of weapon configurations ever created by mankind, what singular weapon would you chose if given only one choice? The real Nordic races were famous for their combat prowess, spears again...

It really doesn't matter to me what's not included in Skyrim by Bethesda because it'll be fixed by the true enthusiasts in short order. ;)

I think spears aren't added in the game because they would require a huge amount of work for very little results.

Spears would need their own animation and because of that all armors would need optimization. Then they would need perks and finishing moves and other stuff I probably forgot.

Same goes for crossbows.

Let's face it, spears and crossbows would need a huge amount of work and the result would be minor.

Well, if we're talking about things we wish were in the game, matchlock rifles would be cool too. Before anyone talks about how that's out of place from a logical contemporary technology standpoint, consider matchlock rifles were around in the 1450s, and plate armor didn't even reach its design peak until 100 years later IRL. Edited by xaliqen

Don't see why people are making such a big deal about this.

There will be a mod to add spears and crossbows days after release...

Although it does depend on how difficult the animations are too add, but I see it happening VERY soon after release, as a lot of modders will want to be the people who made "the" spear/crossbow mod.

I wouldn't worry about it all if that is what you are looking for.