What would happen if we found an asteriod heading our way

kvnchrist

I'm getting tired of these simple, small little things that separate us, from turf wars in congress to snot nosed snipe-fests by people trying to exult their ideals over others. As 9/11 brought all this pettiness to end, however short, I'd like to set up a hypothetical that would bring the world together. Knowing human nature, I know, as soon as large scale catastrophes pass, we get back to the same nit-picking that so many are fond of.

I was thinking, The ultimate catastrophe was the possibility extinction of all of us as a race.

I would ask, If such a thing were to present itself, would we have the capability to deal with the situation and what, if anything could we have as a contingency plan, If we could not alter the trajectory, or destroy the thing.

I think the answer to this question is one that depends upon the degree of the destruction we are talking about. Surviving a Dinosaur-age extinction event? Certainly. Surviving an event similar to what created our moon or something like the sun going super nova? Not a chance.

Edited by stars2heaven

Depends on the distance and time of impact…

Scientists have “confirmed” that, given enough time and distance, a nuclear payload detonated next to an asteroid, would knock it off course thanks the wonders of inertia in space. This would have course require an early sighting in a very big sky so it depends...

In my opinion, if such an event were to occur and impact was made, the best chance for human survival would depend on lying about it. Very few could be saved after all and that realization would cause mass hysteria which would then put the chances of saving the others much lower. If it was my show I would either keep it until the very last moments to allow the preservation of mankind through existing shelters.

My second choice would be to play the “wait and see” game. Release the information that an asteroid could strike and let it soak in. Like in the Cold War some would prepare for the “possible” catastrophe while others would doubt the possibility until it was too late. This however would also put potential survivors at risk.

The structures need for such survival are already in place and are even sold commercially the only enemy of human survival is ourselves.

Edited by TheFourthHorse

Depends on the distance and time of impact…

Scientists have "confirmed" that, given enough time and distance, a nuclear payload detonated next to an asteroid, would knock it off course thanks the wonders of inertia in space. This would have course require an early sighting in a very big sky so it depends...

In my opinion, if such an event were to occur and impact was made, the best chance for human survival would depend on lying about it. Very few could be saved after all and that realization would cause mass hysteria which would then put the chances of saving the others much lower. If it was my show I would either keep it until the very last moments to allow the preservation of mankind through existing shelters.

My second choice would be to play the "wait and see" game. Release the information that an asteroid could strike and let it soak in. Like in the Cold War some would prepare for the "possible" catastrophe while others would doubt the possibility until it was too late. This however would also put potential survivors at risk.

The structures need for such survival are already in place and are even sold commercially the only enemy of human survival is ourselves.

Would also depend on the size of the rock that hit us. Something large enough, and shelters you can buy commercially, and install in your back yard, will only let you live a few seconds/hours/days longer than the rest of mankind. Then, you have the problem of: How long can you STAY in your shelter, if by some miracle, you aren't killed outright? A large enough rock is going to disrupt climate for quite some time.... it may be YEARS before you can even venture out onto the surface, let alone live there.

Would also depend on the size of the rock that hit us. Something large enough, and shelters you can buy commercially, and install in your back yard, will only let you live a few seconds/hours/days longer than the rest of mankind. Then, you have the problem of: How long can you STAY in your shelter, if by some miracle, you aren't killed outright? A large enough rock is going to disrupt climate for quite some time.... it may be YEARS before you can even venture out onto the surface, let alone live there.

Not the ones I'm talking about but you are very right about those