EA and Origin: or the beginning of the end...

SpellAndShield

[

Sadly I only have a computer. Not sure what to do, I mean ME+ is my favourite series but with this, I dunno.

Especially with it tying up the story, I'm not sure what I'd do in your position. I had it installed for the BF3 beta but after a little research chose to remove it, I would have bought BF3 but not now.

I know a few people who will no longer buy BW games after this. I was going to preorder the CE of ME3 and was so psyched but maybe they will change the terms, we'll see.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Sadly I only have a computer. Not sure what to do, I mean ME+ is my favourite series but with this, I dunno.

Especially with it tying up the story, I'm not sure what I'd do in your position. I had it installed for the BF3 beta but after a little research chose to remove it, I would have bought BF3 but not now.

I know a few people who will no longer buy BW games after this. I was going to preorder the CE of ME3 and was so psyched but maybe they will change the terms, we'll see.

It's like Ubisoft, I've not bought one of their games since they introduced that idiotic DRM and I know I'm not the only one.

In one of my first computer courses, the instructor told us "Never, NEVER put anything on a computer that you don't want everyone to know - It WILL come back and byte you." That was in 1978. - 33 years ago - Probably before many of you were born. Things haven't changed much since then. (I was a 32 year old college freshman at the time.) :tongue:

Let's face it, it's not as if games companies are the only ones that pull this stunt. A few months back I acquired a new Epson printer and I STILL get a pop up every time I print anything, asking me to participate in their service improvement programme, for which they will need to install an itty bitty piece of software. And despite the fact that I tell it to naff off and "Don't show this reminder again", it still does.

That's not to say I like it, or like what Origin/EA are doing, but I am just saying they are not on their own. I promptly installed AdBlockPlus for all my browsers after browsing a site that had ads and was presenting me with an advert for the very credit card that I had just applied for. Spooky and a bit sinister.

I have Origin on the gaming laptop because that is where I installed DA2 when it came out - didn't have the new desktop then. But of course people talking about the Mass Effect games has kind of got me dreaming of how ace they would look on the desktop. Decisions,decisions....

Let's face it, it's not as if games companies are the only ones that pull this stunt. A few months back I acquired a new Epson printer and I STILL get a pop up every time I print anything, asking me to participate in their service improvement programme, for which they will need to install an itty bitty piece of software. And despite the fact that I tell it to naff off and "Don't show this reminder again", it still does.

That's not to say I like it, or like what Origin/EA are doing, but I am just saying they are not on their own. I promptly installed AdBlockPlus for all my browsers after browsing a site that had ads and was presenting me with an advert for the very credit card that I had just applied for. Spooky and a bit sinister.

I have Origin on the gaming laptop because that is where I installed DA2 when it came out - didn't have the new desktop then. But of course people talking about the Mass Effect games has kind of got me dreaming of how ace they would look on the desktop. Decisions,decisions....

So many are beyond psyched about ME3 that they will just go along with it anyway, I am even tempted.

Once again, the main difference being in how it's implemented. You can still use your printer without it being required to send information to the developer. With EA it's either you allow them to gather your information, or you can't play their games.

I'm not saying I will or I won't get it. I am pretty hacked off about Origin due to the fact that I am almost never able to log in to it (ie the client) despite the fact that I KNOW I have the right ID and password (because I can log into the website with it.)

All I have is steam and steam only checks their games but steam is allways turned off and when I play new vegas I use steam in offline mode, I have nothing to hide but I don´t want a program scanning my personal computer.All my games and software are legal and are all installed on external hardrives wich are allways turned off unless I´m using it, so all they can scan is my computer with windows 7 along with antivirus.Besides imagine people have credit card passwords and bank account information on their computer, basically origins can go check that out and then give our bank account info to anyone they want -.-

I was just reminded of one option that works on a limited level. What you can do is use some forms of peer blocking or anti-p2p software that blocks the IP ranges associated with EA. While this will prevent connection to the service while present so that you can play games, it should prevent connection to the service at any other time, or if you have no intention of playing those games. I've been using something like this, as well as firewall limitations for connections from some game already, just as a matter of knowing which ones should or should not be phoning home or when. A practice that I've admittedly become more lax with.

theres an easy solution to most signup problems and stuff like this put mostly bogus infomation put only correct infomation if you need to, try to spread it over different sites. if they want real info they will have to work for it

that my 2 cents though

Edited by lostone1993