Family, Is blood still thicker than water?

kvnchrist

I've been fortunate enough to have a very strong family bond throughout my life. In all honesty, the only experience that I've had with a relative who really had their priorities out of whack is my grandmother-in-law. She uses the phrase "blood is thicker than water" as a way to attack the idea of adopting children, in addition to making claims that adopted children will just kill you when they get older.

She has disowned her own daughter, left her mother in a cheap retirement home, and burned the family business to the ground. Literally. She's a rich miser through and through. She has convinced me of one thing if nothing else; some families blood is thicker than others, and her blood is as watered down as her vegetable soup. Clearly not all of the "Greatest Generation" were so great after all.

I have because of this questioned the true value of blood. The truth is good people are good people. Blood can be cheapened by bad people, but in the end all that matters is that you remember those who got you to where you are.