Crash Upon exiting beginning-game Sewer

Selohos

Game crashes upon exiting sewers in the very beginning of the game, everything else runs fine up until that point. To Clarify: Mods/Tweaks that affect things in the work how they should and don't cause anything to explode. This is my load order:

Oblivion.esm

Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm

Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm

Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Natural_Weather_with_darker_Nights_by_Max_Tael_RD.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp

IlluminationWithin.esp

Book Jackets Oblivion.esp

aaaBorsBedrolls.esp

Book Collection.esp

Brighter_Torches.esp

ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

TuPaintings145.esp

VA_BetterGold.esp

Landmarks.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

GP_Call Steed - Not Merged.esp

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCSpellTomes.esp

Book Jackets DLC.esp

GrimbotsSpellTomes.esp

CapesandCloaks.esp

Classic Books.esp

Nico's Dreadweave Bow and Arrows.esp

Gazerith's Spell Books V1.0.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

Francesco's Optional Files.esp

Alluring Potion Bottles v3.esp

Alluring Wine Bottles.esp

BrotherhoodRenewed.esp

MountainShackR13.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCFrostcrag.esp

Knights.esp

Knights - Book Jackets.esp

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp

AutoBookPlacer.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

Quest Award Leveller.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Battlehorn Castle.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp

Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp

MidasSpells.esp

Francesco's level up mini mod - Slower skills x1.5.esp

PA Eye Colors.esp

PA Eye Colors 2.esp

Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Merged Patch.esp

Rig is Quad-core @2.4ghz with 3gb of DDR2 Ram and 2 nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB running together via Sli. Bashed Patch is made with some tweaks namely: arrow weight is capped at .1, ingredient weight is capped at .6, and Unlimited rings. No tweaks selected for Actors/Creatures (I assumed they would probably conflict with Francesco's mod.) Merged patch includes the Bashed Patch. All Graphics settings are on maximum, or at least all the ones that can be configured using Options -> Video in game. I am using Bloom and not HDR (since Anti-aliasing and HDR are mutually exclusive.) Load order has been changed like a billion times, each time a new Bashed/Merged patch was made, what is posted is the most recent rendition. I have ran all mods that are present in a similar load order before with no problems, minus Natural Weather, Francesco's Leveled Creatures/Items mods, Call Steed, and Saddle Bags (Which is patched directly into the DLCHorseArmor file)

Edit1: I have gotten what I have needed to do today more or less done up until this point in the day, now. Thus, everything has been BOSSed, re-Bashed, and Re-Merged. Only files not recognized by Boss were Call Steed, TuPaintings, and my Merged patch (whoopdy-doo, I know where that one goes lol) So, I put Call Steed directly under DLCHorseArmor and TuPaintings directly under ClocksOfCyrodiil (since they do basically the same thing: Add something to multiple cells.) I did NOT do a TES4Edit Automated clean on the few Dirty entries detected by boss. Mostly because I didn't have time to do it and still run through the opening. I shall delete saves and run through the beginning of the game again before posting this edit... annnnd, crash still persists.

Edited by Selohos

Your crash could be related to missing meshes. Double check that All Natural's resources are where they're supposed to be. I believe it comes with a .bsa archive that simply goes into the \Data\ directory. It could also be an Oblivion.ini setting. Most likely something related to draw distance, fog distance, or cell buffers if you've been messing with those.

On to AA and HDR. With your cards you should be able to turn HDR on in-game and then force up to 8x AA through the nVidia Control Panel. HDR with AA was implemented in the nVidia 8000 series though Oblivion was never updated to reflect the change in graphics card technology. However, I personally feel the game looks much better with HDR, Bloom, and Self Shadows all turned off. The lighting effects are rather poorly done and create far to bright of an effect in my opinion. Self Shadows is a glitchy, poorly implemented, attempt at realistic lighting on NPC faces though it really looks bad even turned all of the way up.

Edited by MShoap13

Alright, thanks for the help. Currently attempting to turn off Bloom and HDR, sliding the Grass/Actor/everything fade to the middle, and destroying my own shadow. Will edit on how this worked in about 40 mins tops (About how long it takes me to try leaving sewers on the save right before, crash, reboot, and speed through the sewers again on a new game... most of it is actually making my character look right again lol). Hopefully this solves my problem.

Edit1: Hmm. Turned off self shadows, Bloom, HDR, and slide Items/Actors/etc. to the center and... walked out without the crash. I have since moved the slide items out as far as they will got with no sudden crash. Seems that either Self Shadows or Bloom were at fault, but I much rather like the lighting with out Bloom/HDR and It's not like you can shoot bows in third person anyway so self shadows is unneeded. I will test them anyway and see what causes the short loading and a sudden crash.

Edit2: What the heck? everything is set to exactly how It was while I was trying to leave the sewers, and the game loads fine. I tried going back into the sewers and coming out, nothing exploded. I have NO idea what is going on. I will play with Bloom on and see what else explodes, if anything.

Edited by Selohos

Just crashed while heading to Sideways Cave from Imperial Sewers.

@Keirgarth: I know this trick and usually do it. The reason for continually restarting is due to cutting out a mod, changing load orders, etc. etc. I am basically trying to limit what could be causing the crash. Basically, ridding myself of the possibility that it is a corrupt save due to re-bashing, re-merging, etc. I am now using the save directly after leaving the sewers without restarting simply because I am no longer messing with the load order and/or the Bashed and Merged patches.

@Harvald: Hmm... OBSE being incorrectly installed could be the problem, considering OBMM doesn't give me the "Launch OBSE" option it used to. I chalked that up to using Wrye Bash, as I have not used it before. I shall reinstall OBSE and see if that changes anything. Crash does seem to be related to loading a cell for the first time (and my guess is probably whenever the cell refreshes as well) , but only when Bloom is on... or it could be self shadows, but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it if only because self shadows seems to be purely for looking pretty where as the weather mod does things with bloom, which could also be an OBSE problem, most likely having to do with missing scripts. Reinstalling OBSE, loading save, walking to Sideways Cave.

Edit1: Wow. I didn't expect that. Seems like I forgot to copy-paste in the src folder for OBSE. I feel like such a tard. Cranking up Oblivion to see if by some stroke of bad luck that this wasn't my problem.

Edit2: Managed to wander over to Sideways Cave without a crash, but I apparently took 2 steps too far toward the ruins, which caused a crash. Turning off bloom and trying to replicate.

Edit3: Crashed upon actually entering Sideways Cave. Crash now seems somewhat random to me, possibly related to improperly loading pieces of Francesco's Leveled Creatures/Items (Ex: loading a creature/item using broken references) Could be outdated OBSE. Double checking Silverlock... Most current OBSE version is indeed installed. Turning off self shadows as well and attempting to replicate.

Edit4: Crashed while heading to Sideways Cave, after killing Mud Crab and Imp, and going to loot the Mud Crab for my arrow back. Crash happened while on the way to the Crab, not after checking. (Basically, when I entered the Exterior Cell that has the entrance to Sideways Cave in it.) Now treating crash as related to Francesco's Leveled Creatures/Items. File could be outdated (I did get it from Planet elder scrolls.), Installed improperly (This would likely be due to GOTY being a pain in the rear again, as when installing Francesco's it thought I didn't have Shivering Isles. I told it to stfu and install the SI version because I do have it installed.) Checking tesnexus for a more current version/goty fix for Francesco's LC+I.

Edit5: A Thought: Perhaps I don't have the version installed that I think I do. Checking... Game reports to be 1.2.0416 as thought. Might still be a difference between a manually patched version and GOTY, returning to looking for more recent version of Francesco's LC+I/a GOTY fix for it.

Edit6: Wow... just found a version uploaded 4 days ago I would assume that all my woes stem from a ridiculously outdated version of Francesco's LC+I (Uploaded 3 years ago)

Edited by Selohos

The OBSE src folder is just the source code for OBSE ... not required for OBSE to work.

That is what I assumed when I first installed it. I have since looked it up and you are right. When I was installing it, I thought it was source code "SouRce Code", OR "SCRipts" used by OBSE. I eventually deiced that it -- oo, cool! round M&M... anyway -- was Source Code while installing (Which I did a while back but never played), because the readme didn't mention it was needed. This time I went through looking for potentially forgotten things and forgot my previous conclusion and assumed it was Scripts. I am currently looking up BAIN as the download for Francesco's, and my episode of BBC Holmes, are both complete.

Edit1: Lol. Trying to install Francesco's LC+I, but idek if I am disabling or enabling these extra mods due to their wording XD does checking "Leveled Guards" mean "Guards will be leveled to player." or is it using Leveled as a verb as in "Francesco's mod does this so it has been 'Leveled' as in the title." I assume it is the last one simply because "Dungeon Chest Locks" says that the above options "Dungeon Chest Loot" needs to be chosen.

Edit2: Got all that figured out. Everything has been BOSSed, Bashed, and Merged. Starting completely over to avoid chances of corruption.

Edited by Selohos

Do you have Shivering Isles installed? It could be that Fran's or MMM require SI for some of it's resources and without them, whenever you get near enough to a randomly placed monster, your game would crash. Check to see if any of the mods you have installed require it. SI is probably worth the $10 or whatever as a very large amount of mods require it, not to mention the huge amount of content it adds to the game by itself. Edited by MShoap13

Do you have Shivering Isles installed? It could be that Fran's or MMM require SI for some of it's resources and without them, whenever you get near enough to a randomly placed monster, your game would crash. Check to see if any of the mods you have installed require it. SI is probably worth the $10 or whatever as a very large amount of mods require it, not to mention the huge amount of content it adds to the game by itself.

I have all of the DLCs installed, Including Shivering Isles. Which is why when the really old version of Francesco's LC+I that I was running said "I don't detect SI... should I install the SI version, are you SURE you want to install the SI version?" I slapped it and told it to stfu, because I DID have it installed lol.