Debates Section Pole...Kepp it or Lose it?

Lisnpuppy

What should happen to the Debates Section?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to the Debates Section

• Get rid of it. No one actually debates they just express opinions or go off topic!!
    • Keep it! Its FORUM WAR and its on like DONKEY KONG!
    • Keep it...sometimes Lisnpuppy will post something intelligent! (hee hee)
    • Keep it but rename it the Opinion Forum.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

>snip<

and they may end up disliking you.

>snip<

That´s the whole point, I find it okay to disagree heavily, but why the disliking?

That´s the reason I mostly stay out, and I voted "shut it down" but actually I don´t care.

I agree draconix, but that quote was actually made by Evelyn Beatrice Hall. She stated in her autobiography of Voltaire, so it is commonly given to Voltaire when he did not actually say it.

Awe damn... Guess that's what I get for trying to learn history from a high school textbook... Still a good quote though.

Also:

That´s the whole point, I find it okay to disagree heavily, but why the disliking?

That´s the reason I mostly stay out, and I voted "shut it down" but actually I don´t care.

The dislike is sometimes unavoidable, if that other person's views are absolutely contrary to what you hold dear. Things like abortion to some are the same things as murdering children, and typically, people don't like people who advocate the murder of children. I try not to hold grudges for too long though, because at the end of the day I do think we all have a lot more in common than differences.

Edited by draconix

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of this section at, well, a lot of times. I do enjoy posting on occasion, but there are certain elements that depress or enrage me, sometimes both.

I voted to ditch it.

There are five posters in these threads I follow. Two of them share my views, two don't, and one just perplexes me. Those five post with clarity and TRY to wade through the morass of nonsense to make valid points. The balance is mainly 'I think this...' or 'I don't agree with you so you are wrong...'.

The 'rules of engagement' that were followed at one time are now treated like a dirty diaper by a small percentage of the posters. We all know it is true. That's all I have to say.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

>snip<

and they may end up disliking you.

>snip<

Sometimes because of those who sit on their high horse in judgement of others, I feel the same as you do .... anyhow, here's my 2 cents worth ...

A simple quote to fit the subject at hand ....

"Opinions are formed in a process of open discussion and public debate, and where no opportunity for the forming of opinions exists, there may be moods—moods of the masses and moods of individuals, the latter no less fickle

and unreliable than the former—but no opinion." - Hannah Arendt

Nintii quoted: "Opinions are formed in a process of open discussion and public debate, and where no opportunity for the forming of opinions exists, there may be moods—moods of the masses and moods of individuals, the latter no less fickle

and unreliable than the former—but no opinion." - Hannah Arendt

I have already had my say on this thread. Just wanted to comment on the above quote from Hannah Arendt which was posted by my friend Nintii. Interesting that you would be quoting Ms. Arendt, Nintii, but I am happy to see it.

Ignoring people is a stupid idea.

If you don't want to see someones opinions, leave the forum. I recently made a topic that got completely derailed because someone had me blocked and didn't understand what the topic was about, basing it just on the title.

So no, don't ignore people. If you can't handle others opinions I don't think you are mature enough to be in this forum. That of course is my opinion however.

@grannywils

'Ignore Users' you're a genius. It's like they don't exist. Gimme a HUG! :laugh:

One of the best features of this forum that took me all too long to utilize. Coventry is one of the most effective sanctions available.:laugh:

Edited by Aurielius