Occupy Wall Street

SilverDNA

Ok, so, let's look at this a bit, California voters get to vote on darn near everything, and their budget is trashed. US Citizens don't get a say on federal budget matters (directly), and the federal budget is trashed. I don't see much of a difference there..... just who is at fault for our crappy financial position.

I agree on the judges thing though.....

Who is at fault for the Federal budget's crappiness? Umm...like, Bears Stearns, AIG, General Motors, Fannie Mae, etc.

Those folks didn't hold congress at gunpoint to either 1.) Spend money like there is no tomorrow. Or 2.) Borrow 40% of their budget from China.

You don't need to hold your employes at gunpoint if you tell them do to something for you.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is at fault for the Federal budget's crappiness? Umm...like, Bears Stearns, AIG, General Motors, Fannie Mae, etc.

Those folks didn't hold congress at gunpoint to either 1.) Spend money like there is no tomorrow. Or 2.) Borrow 40% of their budget from China.

I'm not sure what 'holding congress at gunpoint' had anything to do with this. First, a lot of the bailout was instituted by the Executive branch of government, i.e., Congress had little say in it. In fact, if you look at the Constitution, the handing of Government debt is ultimately within the province of the President. Second, 40% represents total foreign ownership of US debt, and China does not own 100% of that total foreign ownership.

Ok, so, let's look at this a bit, California voters get to vote on darn near everything, and their budget is trashed. US Citizens don't get a say on federal budget matters (directly), and the federal budget is trashed. I don't see much of a difference there..... just who is at fault for our crappy financial position.

I agree on the judges thing though.....

You don't need to hold your employes at gunpoint if you tell them do to something for you.

In theory they work for 'the people'. The definition of 'the people' has changed though, there was an addition to that: 'with money'. Your vote doesn't matter. We went from a dem congress, and republican president, to a dem congress AND president, and policies remained exactly the same. Then, we had a rep house of reps, dem senate, and dem pres, and the same policies continued. There is so little difference between the two parties anymore, they might just as well be the same.

I'm not sure what 'holding congress at gunpoint' had anything to do with this. First, a lot of the bailout was instituted by the Executive branch of government, i.e., Congress had little say in it. In fact, if you look at the Constitution, the handing of Government debt is ultimately within the province of the President. Second, 40% represents total foreign ownership of US debt, and China does not own 100% of that total foreign ownership.

40 cents of every dollar (actually, i I think its actually 43....) is borrowed. Last time I check, China owns approximately 25% of the national debt. That is a figure in multiple TRILLIONS of dollars. Should china suddenly decide to call that due, the US would have no way to pay it back, nor could anyone else, or, a collection of anyone elses.... at this point afford to bail us out. The US would default on it's debt. Plain and simple. Of course, global economic chaos would ensue..... but, maybe that's what china has in mind. They are sittin' pretty right now.... spending a fair chunk of the billions of US dollars coming into the country on weapons..... one of which, is a nuclear missile designed to take out aircraft carriers..... isn't it nice of us to help china pay for that?

40 cents of every dollar (actually, i I think its actually 43....) is borrowed. Last time I check, China owns approximately 25% of the national debt. That is a figure in multiple TRILLIONS of dollars. Should china suddenly decide to call that due, the US would have no way to pay it back, nor could anyone else, or, a collection of anyone elses.... at this point afford to bail us out. The US would default on it's debt. Plain and simple. Of course, global economic chaos would ensue..... but, maybe that's what china has in mind.

China owns 25% of our debt, sure. But do you know how much of that accounts for their assets? Much more than 25%, I assure you. If they call in our debt and the USA defaults, China simultaneously goes bust.

They are sittin' pretty right now.... spending a fair chunk of the billions of US dollars coming into the country on weapons..... one of which, is a nuclear missile designed to take out aircraft carriers..... isn't it nice of us to help china pay for that?

Did you know our carrier fleet is 10 times larger than the next largest country's navy? A nuclear missile designed to take out an aircraft carrier is overkill and doesn't concern me at all.

For me (can't speak for others) supporting the 99% isn't anything other than protesting the fact that corporations and Wall Street obviously have proven they don't give a rat's butt about the country they live in, don't give a damn about the poor and middle class, and if they could outsource the baristas who make their coffee, the bank tellers who process their huge deposits, the people who check them out in the grocery line and millions of other hands-on positions to make an extra buck, they would. Corporations are becoming more like the Ferenghi every day.

Corporations exist to make money, I won't argue that. But there needs to be a limit on it, otherwise they will just gleefully rape, pillage and burn this country to the ground. The past three years (and other times) have proven that when you take away the laws preventing this, they do whatever in the hell they want and screw everyone else. "Money to help create more jobs and stimulate the economy? Hey thanks, I need another yacht/big boobed brainless bimbo mistress/McMansion/whatever else the 1% blow money on!"

I don't want to get to the point where they have to learn their lesson the hard way, as in one company after another going belly up because people can't afford their products or services because of this bullpoo. That would really be a bad thing.

For me (can't speak for others) supporting the 99% isn't anything other than protesting the fact that corporations and Wall Street obviously have proven they don't give a rat's butt about the country they live in, don't give a damn about the poor and middle class, and if they could outsource the baristas who make their coffee, the bank tellers who process their huge deposits, the people who check them out in the grocery line and millions of other hands-on positions to make an extra buck, they would. Corporations are becoming more like the Ferenghi every day.

Corporations exist to make money, I won't argue that. But there needs to be a limit on it, otherwise they will just gleefully rape, pillage and burn this country to the ground. The past three years (and other times) have proven that when you take away the laws preventing this, they do whatever in the hell they want and screw everyone else. "Money to help create more jobs and stimulate the economy? Hey thanks, I need another yacht/big boobed brainless bimbo mistress/McMansion/whatever else the 1% blow money on!"

I don't want to get to the point where they have to learn their lesson the hard way, as in one company after another going belly up because people can't afford their products or services because of this bullpoo. That would really be a bad thing.

THAT'S IT!!!!! THAT is what they remind me of. Thank you, that is one of the most accurate statements I have read today. :D Hit the nail right on the head.

THAT'S IT!!!!! THAT is what they remind me of. Thank you, that is one of the most accurate statements I have read today. :D Hit the nail right on the head.

if the corporations are the Feringi then the protesters remind me of the The Catullans a.k.a. Space Hippies on their way to Eden..... :whistling: With a similar chance of successful outcome.

Edited by Aurielius