One Handed vs Two-Handed

Master Marksman

I'm just wondering if you guys considered if the developers actually compensated the disadvantages of Two-handed weapons against One-handed weapons.

There seems to be an over-hype towards one handed weapons, due to the dual wielded nature Skyrim offers, and the overall versatility the game gives it.

A one handed long-sword and a shield gives a defensive warrior.

Two long swords gives an aggressive warrior.

One longsword and a fistful of magic gives a battlemage

Two shortswords or daggers gives the sneak thief the highest stealthed damage.

And then you have Two-handed weapons. They only have 1 option, which is the aggressive warrior. I have the feeling that it will be reduced to the weapon that bandit/marauder foes carry, just to try to take you down.

There are several disadvantages to two-handers, from usually slow attacks, high weight needs and usually mediocre blocking. Added to this is the inability to use magic in any hand.

The only advantage seems to be damage, and only if dual-wielded longswords are comparitively heavier and less damaging. (Although you can block with Two-handed weapons and not dual wielded weapons). They also appear to have a perk that allows them to power attack several foes in its arc, which dual wielded cannot.

The only reason I have for this topic is that once I saw the Bosmer male with a two-handed greatsword (Wood Elves being my first race for Skyrim), I decided I would integrate it with my first Bosmer character. Because it would rely on only two weapon classes, Two-Handed and Archery, I thought it was a good fit.

Thanks for any comments below.

Seems like you're not sure about what you want to use so I'll just say use what you want. You make the advantages/disadvantages seem more than they are though. If you're that worried about not having a shield then use heavy armor. As for not having magic. You need to have both hands free for dual casting anyways, so weapons don't even come into play.

Seems like you're not sure about what you want to use so I'll just say use what you want. You make the advantages/disadvantages seem more than they are though. If you're that worried about not having a shield then use heavy armor. As for not having magic. You need to have both hands free for dual casting anyways, so weapons don't even come into play.

I'm sure I want to use 2 handed, but I'm not sure if its going to be as effective as 1 handed.

I'm not worried about having a shield because i can still block with a 2 hander.

You only need one hand for magic, but it can be more potent with 2 hands of magic.

I'm sure I want to use 2 handed, but I'm not sure if its going to be as effective as 1 handed.

I'm not worried about having a shield because i can still block with a 2 hander.

You only need one hand for magic, but it can be more potent with 2 hands of magic.

Now you're sounding like 2h is better then 1h. Nobody said you couldn't use both though.

I wondering similar things myself. In the Block skill Perk list everything seems to pertain to Shields. Is there no point in taking Block as a starting skill unless you intend to use a Shield?

I assume they made it so that you can't block with two weapons specifically to balance the 2H weapons which you can block with. Perhaps using a single 2H weapon is slower and doesn't do as much damage as wielding two 1H weapons but the 2H gives you the ability to Block and protect yourself? Can you block using just a single 1H weapon? If not, then the 2H ability to block becomes very useful I would think...

Now you're sounding like 2h is better then 1h. Nobody said you couldn't use both though.

1st point is saying there is uncertainty, 2nd Point is saying an advantage of 2 handed, 3rd point is saying an advantage for 1 handed (can simultaneously use spells and one handed weapons).

And it really is inefficient to use both one handed and two handed, it would dilute your melee potential.

I wondering similar things myself. In the Block skill Perk list everything seems to pertain to Shields. Is there no point in taking Block as a starting skill unless you intend to use a Shield?

I assume they made it so that you can't block with two weapons specifically to balance the 2H weapons which you can block with. Perhaps using a single 2H weapon is slower and doesn't do as much damage as wielding two 1H weapons but the 2H gives you the ability to Block and protect yourself? Can you block using just a single 1H weapon? If not, then the 2H ability to block becomes very useful I would think...

Yeah, so the Two-hander is inbetween the dual wield and shield wield in terms of offense and defence. But overall, it lacks the versatility of what having a full inventory of weapons would give you.

Edited by Master Marksman

Guys... You're getting it all wrong... What about those of us who wish to play with 2 shields?

You cannot dual wield shields. And you cannot wield a shield in you right hand too, Pete (PR) said it was because of engine limitations in the animation department.

It would seem the best way to balance this is to allow for more aggressive options for twho handers to counter One Handers.

Such as-

*Two Handed attacks can Break defense.

(One swing strikes against the shield, the second comes from the other direction which prys the shield out from its blocking position, opening the target up for a critical attack)

*A Much Longer Reach. (But they get inside your minimal reach you can only attack with the hilt, lowering damage)

*Sweeping power attacks-to knock foes down

*The ability to have heavy and light versions of 2 handed weapons just as blades can be longsword>Shortsword>Dagger.

Claymore>Longhandled sword>Longblade(Narsil-Aragorn's blade)

*By building up repetition in your swings , 2 handed should not expend as much fatigue.

thats all iv got.

i too, am scared that 2 handed is being quite ignored an will be only there for novelty :(

I'm assuming that the devs realize that the new dual wielding system will be popular and will have made an effort to balance 2H with it both in numbers and fun. My guess is that 2H will viscerally feel more like you're mowing the enemy down with staggers and stuns and knockdowns so that it will be fun to play too.