Skyrim PC Gamer hands on preview

Kerghan

I just got the latest issue of PC Gamer (North America) in the mail today, which features a large hands on preview of Skyrim, complete with several new screenshots. Figured I'd share some of the info divulged in the article which I had never heard before (that doesn't necessarily mean that all of it is new). I don't consider any of this to be spoilers, but be warned nonetheless.

*Skyrim is balanced around level 50, with level 70 being the cap.

*The game features 280 perks. They claim it should take you roughly 1,000 hours to unlock just 93 of those perks. Don't ask me how they got those numbers.

*Sneak attacks have a damage multiplier of x10.

*There are 150 caves and dungeons to explore.

*Lockpicking works exactly as it does in Fallout 3.

*There is a sprint button. As one might guess, sprinting drains stamina, and it does so more quickly depending on what armor you're wearing.

*The combined spell combat feature is a perk, although you can dual wield spells without it. When doing so, you fire off each spell separately, instead of combining them into a unique spell.

*One of the companion NPCs available to you is a dog.

*Companion NPCs will have advanced commands, such as telling them to "unlock this" or "steal that" or "kill them". Todd Howard compared the way it works to an RTS.

*Vampires are in, and they can infect you, eventually turning you into a vampire too if you don't get it cured. Supposedly you can cure vampirism with a cure disease potion. The author ended up getting rid of the curse by befriending a couple of traveling monks, who healed him for free.

*You can mine ore, if you have a pickaxe, and smelt it into ingots. You can combine said ingots with other crafting materials to create new items.

*Music does not play constantly. It triggers dynamically depending on what's going on in the game.

*The game was running on a PC with a GeForce GTX 470, Core i7-980x, 6 gigs of ram, 7,200 rpm hard drive, at a resolution of 1680x1050. The author claimed the game ran flawlessly and looked "damn near photorealistic."

*I'm not sure how many of these are truly new, but the screenshots that caught my eye depicted: A sabertooth tiger(?) getting bathed in a stream of flame, an ice elemental, a beautiful girl (hard to say what race, perhaps an Imperial, no neck seam ;) ), an orc about to crush the hero with a blow from some kind of heavy mace, a robed and hooded thief-like character wielding a glowing bow covered in whitish flames, and the lockpicking minigame.

*No, I won't post scans of the article.

The full article is a lot more fleshed out than these bullets I posted. The author had 3.5 hour session with the game. Sounds like Bethesda is about to deliver yet another Game of the Year.

Edited by Kerghan