Realistic Chameleon %'s Please

malevolentraven

Hopefully In Skyrim the chameleon spell (if it is in the game still) won't render you or npc's completely invisible no matter what percentage. I found this very troubling because if you have 5% cham on your self you look completely invisible but NPC's can still see you because in reality it's only 5%, but when NPC's have 5% cham they are just as hard to spot as if they had full invisibility. Hopefully they rendered the character models to have levels of transparency dependent on the percentile of the spell. Does anyone now if this is confirmed or if the chameleon spell is even still in the game?

I used a mod in Oblivion that fixed this (I believe it was in the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash, totally awesome), however considering how "little" info we still know about Skyrim as a whole on such specifics, then I'm pretty positive we don't know the answer to this yet. However, look back on all the dumb things about Oblivion that have been fixed in Skyrim, I for one would wager it's been fixed. It would be stupid not to, I also hope it affects x% of transparency instead of that 95% refraction look.

I used a mod in Oblivion that fixed this (I believe it was in the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash, totally awesome), however considering how "little" info we still know about Skyrim as a whole on such specifics, then I'm pretty positive we don't know the answer to this yet. However, look back on all the dumb things about Oblivion that have been fixed in Skyrim, I for one would wager it's been fixed. It would be stupid not to, I also hope it affects x% of transparency instead of that 95% refraction look.

I agree, and will have to try out that mod. And you point of all the things they have fixed makes sense, I mean someone at Bethesda had to have thought of this lol.

Be warned though, Wrye Bash is not for the "faint of heart" haha, it's definitely got a big learning curve in my opinion. However, there are lots of mods on TESNexus that would do the same fix I'm sure. Wrye Bash's bashed patch is just a multi-fix/tweak that lets you pick what you want...once you learn how to finally do it haha.

Anyway, at least the game is only a month and two days away, we'll find out soon enough! :D

And I just realized that these are your first and second posts at the Nexus Forums...welcome, buddy! :]

Again... made on the FB discussion a long time ago in a LONG list of stuff

How about a "new" chameleon spell. Instead of the whole 100% chameleon = invisibility, how about chameleon IS invisible, when you dont move... the other difference would be that when you DO move, there is a chance that the shield will fail. That chance starts at 100%... so if you do a 10% chemeleon, you are invisible when you dont move, you "shutter" when you do, and you have a 90% chance that the shield fails. A 100% chameleon, has invisibility when still, shutter when moving and 0% chance of the shield failing... Its like active camo.

Instead of the whole 100% chameleon = invisibility, how about chameleon IS invisible, when you dont move... the other difference would be that when you DO move, there is a chance that the shield will fail. That chance starts at 100%... so if you do a 10% chemeleon, you are invisible when you dont move, you "shutter" when you do, and you have a 90% chance that the shield fails. A 100% chameleon, has invisibility when still, shutter when moving and 0% chance of the shield failing... Its like active camo.

It's an interesting idea you have there, Odai, but personally I'd prefer the chameleon spell to never fully conceal you, but rather essentially work as camouflage, i.e. making you less detectable, similar to Oblivion, but waning upon movement (just like you suggested) and being way more potential when standing still - basically allowing you to hide from evil eyes in a tight spot (for example patrol approaching you with a torch in a limited space). So practically the spell would: 1. make you invisible to the naked eye of NPC's further than (5) ft. from you when stationary (for x amount of seconds), while a hostile NPC stumbling upon you or detecting you with Detect Life could result in them attacking you; 2. grant you some kind of (slight or moderate) stealth bonus when moving - or perhaps a chance for that "invisibility" to fail (30% chance to fail on every 3-sec-tick for example), like you suggested. Obviously movement (in most cases) also produces some kind of noise, which could alert NPC's, maybe even make them follow the noise assuming they're brave enough. Yeah, that's about it. I really hope this time Beth went deep into the spell system and made spells more elaborate - new spells (like flamethrower) sure are awesome, but sophisticating old spells never hurts either. :tongue: Oh, one more thing, when cast in combat the chameleon i.e. invisibility spell wouldn't make NPC's go like "Oh, he must of gotten summoned by Sheogorath: threat cleared! :sweat: " but rather go :ohmy: and then >:( : stay alert, run around, probe attack the place you'd appeared last, stuff like that - thus my disapproval of an absolute concealment (like in Oblivion). And I think this enhanced camouflage spell would render the old invisibility spell useless, which wouldn't bother me one tiny bit! :teehee:

So are you suggesting a new law to in-game metaphysics? Like how the 9th barrier cannot exist (cant have more than 85% armor rating)

What would the max chameleon be? I mean in many ways it is a shield too... so should it be subject to the 85% rule?

--------

At any rate. Now that I have a better understanding on how the spells work in Skyrim, I think that invisibility should be a hold-to-cast spell (like detect life in the demo) which would make using a weapon or being invisible for too long not work.

Then Chameleon too is a hold-to-cast spell... but instead it is a shield that makes invisible when not moving, but it doesnt drain magika nearly as quickly as invisibility.