Conjured weapons!

Guest deleted829424

Yeah I could go without bound armor as well, never really liked it and probably wouldn't use it anyway.

I think focusing on conjured weapons appearing in your casting hand works very well with Skyrim's combat system, whereas bound armor wouldn't work very well at all.

I mean, it's kinda obvious how bound weapons will work. You cast the spell and a weapon appears in your hands, as you use it your magicka drains.

But bound armor...? Do you cast the spell and then just use that arm for nothing but keep the armor active? No spells so far have had an effect that works while you're not actively using the spell (such as Detect Life, Healing and others, you have to continously cast the spell to keep it active), so bound armor would simply not fit into the system unless you have to keep casting a spell in your hand that just affects your armor... which is lame.

Yeah I could go without bound armor as well, never really liked it and probably wouldn't use it anyway.

I think focusing on conjured weapons appearing in your casting hand works very well with Skyrim's combat system, whereas bound armor wouldn't work very well at all.

I mean, it's kinda obvious how bound weapons will work. You cast the spell and a weapon appears in your hands, as you use it your magicka drains.

But bound armor...? Do you cast the spell and then just use that arm for nothing but keep the armor active? No spells so far have had an effect that works while you're not actively using the spell (such as Detect Life, Healing and others, you have to continously cast the spell to keep it active), so bound armor would simply not fit into the system unless you have to keep casting a spell in your hand that just affects your armor... which is lame.

It was confirmed in a gameplay video that Conjuration spells like bound weapons have set durations; they aren't sustained like Detect Life or Healing.

EDIT: Besides, how would you swing your weapon if you're holding the button down to maintain the spell?

Edited by Lowk

You guys obviously didn't use Bound Armor in Morrowind. It was absolutely amazing and really made the game far more fun. There were a few "key" differences between Bound Armor in Oblivion and in Morrowind.

In Oblivion all custom spells could only last 120 seconds (or was it 60?) so there was no way to effectively made bound armor last long enough to be effective. Also, for some insane reason, Bethesda decided to make different pieces of bound armor have random armor classifications: light or heavy. This means that using bound armor not only required you to constantly recast it, but it also meant you had to level up light and heavy armor just to get use out of it. When you combine these things Bound Armor basically was completely useless in Oblivion.

But, Morrowind was a completely different animal. In Morrowind you got a passive chance to avoid all damage if you were unarmored. You also moved considerably faster and could jump higher if you were unarmored. The amazing thing about Bound Armor in Morrowind is that it had no armor classification. It was the same as being unarmored. So you got the armor class of plate, but the mobility and passive avoidance of being unarmored. It basically made you able to move extremely fast and tank quite well. The only downside to it is that you did have to recast it occasionally (I made a spell that summoned a full suit of armor and lasted ~10 minutes), and there was no way to enchant it. The other cool thing is that each piece of Bound Armor gave you certain skill enhancements. I think Gloves gave you unarmored, chest gave you a passive shield buff, etc...

So, if they decide to give us the half-assed and useless version of Bound Armor that Oblivion had, then I don't think they should even bother adding it. But, if they give us something more like what existed in Morrowind (although probably slightly balanced as it was relatively overpowered) I'll be so happy you can only imagine. I absolutely loved my Conjuration warrior in Morrowind.

In Oblivion all custom spells could only last 120 seconds (or was it 60?) so there was no way to effectively made bound armor last long enough to be effective. Also,

100 seconds max, if i remember correctly...

I used a mod to set it at 300 max.

bound armor was still annoying in morrowind also,... im sure you used either a heavily modded game or a cheated spell for your 10 minute bound all....

In oblivion, yea, every bound equipment was useless almost,.. and lasted almost no time at all unless you made a rather expensive mana cost spell.(some of the default weapon bounds durations didnt even let you get off two attacks... wtf?!)

not to mention in both games bound equips looked bad, imo

Skyrim looks like it has good bound weapons at least... and if it's underpowered, we can just mod that(shouldn't be with those bound weapon perks)

EDIT: yeeessss..... im an unarmored, unarmed traveler... i stop into a bar and get into a fist fight.... the guy finally draws a short blade thinking im unarmed.... *casts bound Sword* what now B****!

Edited by El`derina

It was confirmed in a gameplay video that Conjuration spells like bound weapons have set durations; they aren't sustained like Detect Life or Healing.

EDIT: Besides, how would you swing your weapon if you're holding the button down to maintain the spell?

Really? Which one? Don't think I've seen that gameplay vid.

As for your edit, you wouldn't have to hold any buttons in at all; swinging the weapon would drain magicka. When you run out the weapon is dispelled. That was my line of reasoning anyway.