Steam: For or Against

Unholypaladin

One of the only things I like about Steam is that once I buy a game I always have it even if I lose the cd. I never do downloaded games, takes too long. Buy cd, install, and get the updates automatically. Steam is heavy on resources so for some it is not good, unlike mine. What I absolutely hate about steam is the fact I have to have internet in order to play many of the games even in offline mode, if I remember to set it. I play on Laptop and have to go out of the house to get internet. Other than that steam has no quarrel with me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the only things I like about Steam is that once I buy a game I always have it even if I lose the cd. I never do downloaded games, takes too long. Buy cd, install, and get the updates automatically. Steam is heavy on resources so for some it is not good, unlike mine. What I absolutely hate about steam is the fact I have to have internet in order to play many of the games even in offline mode, if I remember to set it. I play on Laptop and have to go out of the house to get internet. Other than that steam has no quarrel with me.

Just hope you never annoy anyone, and steam decides to revoke your account. Then all of those games you paid for, that require steam to be online, just became worthless.

Just hope you never annoy anyone, and steam decides to revoke your account. Then all of those games you paid for, that require steam to be online, just became worthless.

That is my only real problem with steam. There needs to be something done to make valve only disable accounts due to breaking the law, such as piracy of steam games.

We also can't forget the fact that steam gives you another account that can be hacked! If you just have a disk on your computer its not going to get hacked and lock you out of it. What happens when your steam account gets hacked? Your screwed, all your games lost, not just one but all of them, because you know how steam will react to a hacked account, they will lock and delete it plain and simple.

and than for any reason what so ever steam decides to ban your account, than what?

To my knowledge, you don't get banned out of the blue. I had lost my account name AND password once, but managed to get it back using a serial key I had from Counter-Strike:CZ. (Retail Box). Perhaps I was just lucky, but I never really had problems with Steam Customer Support. In fact, I only have good things to say about it, since I always got my problems solved.

As for the Steamworks issue going on... It'd be best to check the game's page before buying it on retail, since it says it uses steamworks there. (Might not be mentioned on the retail version?) It's the same as those small letters you never read when signing important contracts :P

As of now, my Steam account is worth over 500€, so it's quite an investment. Still, I'm not really that worried about losing it, since I trust the company. You could lose your retail collection just as easy as your digital one.

I never had problems with the service, so I'm standing my ground.

Yes, here is another place I do not meddle. I joined the nexus group on steam and I have some friends besides, but that is the limit to my interaction with steam internet. I play most of my games offline ( only ones that will play offline.) So the only thing that is a threat to me is hacking I guess, tho I change all my passwords every other month and use random letters, numbers, and characters in random 13 digit order. Military did that to me I guess.

Careful is good, however not always effective. No matter what you try if a talented wants your account, if they target you and you specifically, and they want in, they will get in. Steam is a needless program, its existence is made useless by its imbalance. With the ratio of negative comments to good comments, with the best being "Its alright" or "I haven't had much trouble" well than that shows it right there. From every perspective i see Steam is a burden, these extra security features and third party clauses makes it a program that shouldn't exist.