Assassination of US Citizens

draconix

Exactly. What this guy said is pretty disagreeable but at some point it will be people with "legitimate" gripes and the precedent will already be there.

Disagreeable? That begs the question of where you draw the line between disagreeable and egregious. Disagreeable is when you simply lack a degree of civility in your political discourse , calling for the murder of your former fellow citizens is egregious. Get a grip, he considered us the enemy, not worthy of the right to exist and in the end run he sowed the wind and reaped the whirlwind, actually quite drolly ironic.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I picked up .... and I quote;

A U.S. missile strike Friday killed an American-born Al Qaeda chief blamed for the "underwear bombing" plot and cited as an inspiration for the botched Times Square terror try.

Firebrand cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, 40, was knocked off in Yemen just five months after Navy SEALs took out Al Qaeda kingpin Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan.

The airstrike also killed a second militant with U.S. ties: Samir Khan, an Al Qaeda propaganda chief who produced an English-language web magazine for the terror group, Yemeni officials said.

End quote.

There's no doubt they deserved to die.

@ Marharth ..........Is a combatant ONLY someone who carries a firearm ? ... NO !

I was not aware this was targeted at his boss, and they were not the target. If that is the case this is not a issue.

If I said I supported Al Qeuda, the government can not simply kill me. Under the constitution you have to be held in trial for treason. However, in this case I was not aware they were directly with another Al Qeuda combatant, and the USA was not targeting them.

That being said, in this situation it is fine.

Edited by marharth

Here's a quote from the NY Times:

Many details of the strike were unclear, but one American official said that Mr. Awlaki, whom the United States had been hunting in Yemen for more than two years, had been identified as the target in advance and was killed with a Hellfire missile fired from a drone operated by the Central Intelligence Agency.

I thought it was relevant as an official indicated that he was the target in the strike, not someone who just happened to be in the car. And there was another American citizen in the car with him.

The strike also killed a radical American colleague traveling with Mr. Awlaki who edited Al Qaeda’s online jihadist magazine.

These aren't good people to be sure, but consider this: The Unibomber got a trial, Ted Bundy got a trial, the BTK killer got a trial. The Scientologists who took part in Operation Snow White were given trials. Even Saddam Hussein got a trial, why not these two?

Edited by draconix

Many details of the strike were unclear, but one American official said that Mr. Awlaki, whom the United States had been hunting in Yemen for more than two years, had been identified as the target in advance and was killed with a Hellfire missile fired from a drone operated by the Central Intelligence Agency.

I thought it was relevant as an official indicated that he was the target in the strike, not someone who just happened to be in the car. And there was another American citizen in the car with him.

The strike also killed a radical American colleague traveling with Mr. Awlaki who edited Al Qaeda’s online jihadist magazine.

These aren't good people to be sure, but consider this: The Unibomber got a trial, Ted Bundy got a trial, the BTK killer got a trial. The Scientologists who took part in Operation Snow White were given trials. Even Saddam Hussein got a trial, why not these two?

Well were they with a combatant from Al Qeduda or not? I am a bit confused now.

From what I have heard, the US citizens were not the target, someone else was.

I agree, that makes all the difference. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think that the truth of the matter is that we don't know enough about the situation right now due to each media outlet putting it's own spin on what was scant detail to begin with. I know the guys probably needed to be killed or jailed to begin with so I don't care about that. What I care about is our slow moves into Orwellian territory.

Yes that's true, BUT, they had those people in custody ... these people were running loose ... just like Osama ... and in the same way, they were removed.

That's the thing though... You never end up capturing the people you blow up with missiles, right? I mean, I don't think we deploy rocket propelled nets, do we? :sweat:

I mean, it's great that Osama died... It would have been better if we could have captured him first, interrogated and tried him, and eventually kill him after letting him wallow in his defeat, rotting in a cell first.

Anyway, that's my say. Guess we're just letting bits of "America" slip away and it's depressing.

I think you will find the applicable laws under "treason".

And for the record, my vow was to protect the flag from all enemies, foreign and domestic. It wasn't a police action. It was a military action.

It's rare but I so do enjoy it when we are on the same page. :thumbsup:

The sanction was legal and appropriate and I won't lose a minute of sleep over their demise.

I agree with you both. In my eyes, they ceased being citizens and the rules for treason began as soon as they threw in with the enemy.