Constant. Infuriating. Infinite. Loading screens.

Sirenapples

I quit Fallout 4 for a while and only really started playing again when Far Harbor released.

Initially I had only two problems with Far Harbor, a single freeze that I had to Force-close, and a single random CTD.

After the second, I updated my AMD drivers to some Beta release thing and I haven't had a single problem with anything on or to do with Far Harbor since.

However.

I beat Far Harbor and went back to the mainland, and now I've had SIX infinite loading screens since.

Nothing else makes me feel so hateful and infuriated than dealing with Fallout 4 right now. Despite all the bullshit textures that randomly decide not to work, I enjoy the game when it is working. But then Bethesdas miraculously somehow functioning garbage heap inevitably crashes or gives me an Infinite loading screen.

I almost never have to load saves due to dying. 99% of all my saves, other than reloading saves to explore dialogue options, are loaded due to crashes or times when I have to force the game closed due to Infinite loading screens.

The loading times aren't even bad normally. When it's actually running I can fast travel somewhere in about 10 seconds. But then out of nowhere I get these Infinite ones.

w

t

f

can I do to reduce them? I almost never even close the game manually anymore, I just end up quitting the game for the day after I inevitably get an ILS or CTD.

Whenever I get an Infinite Loading Screen, I'll still hear the loading screen click (like when you rotate the displayed image) after forcing it closed. There's a second program running as a Background Process in task manager for Fallout 4.

This isn't present when I force the game closed any other time other than infinite loading screens.

Whenever I get an Infinite Loading Screen, I'll still hear the loading screen click (like when you rotate the displayed image) after forcing it closed. There's a second program running as a Background Process in task manager for Fallout 4.

This isn't present when I force the game closed any other time other than infinite loading screens.

Exactly the same thing for me.

When entering Diamond City - and also some of the interior cells located around Diamond City, This ILS bug happened in my game. (I created a thread about it too, and no one replied).

I sorta narrowed it down to what I was doing at the time, but my theory was nothing more than a hunch - I am playing Survivor Mode, and have modded console access back in, as well as the survival mode save function mod, back into the game (because having no ability to save is a complete joke), and when I was opening my console up to enjoy the TFC 1 function, or to adjust FOV etc, while playing, this problem was most noticeable.

I used the console command also to allow my char to fast travel, but literally only one time did I try it, and again, ILS.

While my game appeared to have crashed, my GPU driver fan was still running (loudly), and in each event I could not do a thing to turn it off aside from restarting my computer.

One time I reloaded the game while the first instance of Fallout was still "running" and sure enough, I heard the loading-clicking sound in addition to my (second instance of) game running. My game was unplayable of course, frame rate around 1fps, fan sounded like a plane taking off, PC barely responsive. Had to restart PC again.

I still think it is related to console-use, but it's just a theory. I also think that your save-file will have become corrupted if it is happening repeatedly, and removing that save file completely is a good remedy. I am in the habit of saving back-up save files now before each play session, and having 15 save files in my folder only.

This bug, in addition to VATS freeze, in addition to "Graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered", in addition to "Runtime error - Virtual Function blah blah blah" crash upon exiting, in addition to horrible stuttering when walking around concord/red rocket, makes the game barely playable in my opinion, and almost altogether un-enjoyable.

Oh and don't even get me started on textures that don't load properly.

"ffs" is right.

"Nothing else makes me feel so hateful and infuriated" - I can TOTALLY relate to that feeling.

Edited by RaffTheSweetling

I should note as well, earlier this afternoon I went back to Far Harbor / The Island. And once again I have good performance and have yet to have an ILS there.

It's just the Commonwealth...

Even on the same save. If the save itself were "Corrupted", wouldn't it still happen even in The Island?

I'd also point out that the Commonwealth has always performed poorly for me. It's why I quit. I came back for Far Harbor, and Far Harbor ran really well. I had / have problems when I go back to the Commonwealth, but not on the Island.

Using ENB without a preset would probably help a lot as well. The memory and stability patches it comes with fix a lot of bad things that can happen when you play F4.

Like ENBoost? I use that.

Exactly the same thing for me.

When entering Diamond City - and also some of the interior cells located around Diamond City, This ILS bug happened in my game. (I created a thread about it too, and no one replied).

I sorta narrowed it down to what I was doing at the time, but my theory was nothing more than a hunch - I am playing Survivor Mode, and have modded console access back in, as well as the survival mode save function mod, back into the game (because having no ability to save is a complete joke), and when I was opening my console up to enjoy the TFC 1 function, or to adjust FOV etc, while playing, this problem was most noticeable.

I used the console command also to allow my char to fast travel, but literally only one time did I try it, and again, ILS.

While my game appeared to have crashed, my GPU driver fan was still running (loudly), and in each event I could not do a thing to turn it off aside from restarting my computer.

One time I reloaded the game while the first instance of Fallout was still "running" and sure enough, I heard the loading-clicking sound in addition to my (second instance of) game running. My game was unplayable of course, frame rate around 1fps, fan sounded like a plane taking off, PC barely responsive. Had to restart PC again.

I still think it is related to console-use, but it's just a theory. I also think that your save-file will have become corrupted if it is happening repeatedly, and removing that save file completely is a good remedy. I am in the habit of saving back-up save files now before each play session, and having 15 save files in my folder only.

This bug, in addition to VATS freeze, in addition to "Graphics driver has stopped responding and has recovered", in addition to "Runtime error - Virtual Function blah blah blah" crash upon exiting, in addition to horrible stuttering when walking around concord/red rocket, makes the game barely playable in my opinion, and almost altogether un-enjoyable.

Oh and don't even get me started on textures that don't load properly.

"ffs" is right.

"Nothing else makes me feel so hateful and infuriated" - I can TOTALLY relate to that feeling.

I always make new saves rather than overwrite old saves, and I try to avoid autosaves. Supposedly that is supposed to help prevent save corruption.

I also still avoid the Cabot House.

I think something to do with the Mysterious Serum screws with my game. I'm not sure though, it could have just been coincidence in the past but I am now too paranoid to do Cabot stuff. Mysterious Serum is/was one of my favorite items in the game too...

This is all just a Bethesda game for you. Shitty Hodge-podge games that are addicting when they work right. I imagine mostly due to there just being no other games that give the same feelings / play the same. Most "RPGs" are third person games with specific characters and more linear gameplay that may or may not let you alter the way your character looks to some extent.

I have such high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077. I'm hoping for a Bethesda-like experience (As it sounds like that's what they're going for. Open world, custom character, sandboxy RPG), but with the quality leaving Bethesda in the dust. *Goes to listen to the Cyberpunk teaser again*

Edited by Sirenapples

Yes, ENBoost. Only one release was called ENBoost, all after that are simply called ENB. Latest release is 0.307 so if you are still running the one hosted on the Nexus, don't. Get the latest binaries from the ENB site.

And Far Harbor running smooth while the commonwealth performs poorly is a bit odd since FH is more demanding due to all the fog. They are in different cells, obviously, but while cell corruption can happen it shouldn't plague nearly all of them.

Maybe delete most save files you no longer need and try again. It's not the same as savegame bloat but having dozens of save files can lead to weird things.