AMD Bulldozer is in!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103962

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960

there is also an AMD FX-4100 but newegg doesnt have it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4955/the-bulldozer-review-amd-fx8150-tested

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-fx-8150-bulldozer-processor-review

just a couple of reviews i looked at. honestly the thing i find the best about the new bulldozers are that they (or at least the 8150) come with a self contained liquid cooling unit. how good this unit is? idk. but thats a $100 piece of equipment right there.

but honestly, after looking at a couple of reviews, the i5-2500k is just better, not in every single catagory, but pretty damn close. and considering its the same price as the 8150, the i5 seems to be the better choice here. and if you already have an 1100t or something, its almost not worth upgrading :/

tell me what you guys think. most of your techies know more then i do, and can see things i cant, so id love to hear your opinions!

The Bulldozers are very good at multi-threaded software and excellent at things like video editing.

But the powerconsumtion is just terrible they really need to work on that at AMD.

And for gaming the i5-2500k is still king.

Edited by Erik005

I was wondering if I had lost out by getting the Phenom X6 1100T rather than waiting for a Bulldozer, but it looks like I am not missing much since the X6 has overclocked to a respectable 4.2Ghz anyway. Not as fast, but does not have some of the niggles.

Due respect but I think what processor is king depends on personal preferences and the individuals set up as a whole rather than just going with benchmarks. I had a conversation with my system builder before I ordered processor and mobo and he said go AMD, as his experience was that they performed better for gaming. I have a core i7 in my gaming laptop, to be sure it's a great processor, but would not say it is either better or worse than the AMD.

Just don't want people to think that AMD are a heap of crap just because Intel are "supposed" to be the best by so many.

The Bulldozer has the same problems that the Pentium 4 had with the hyperthreading feature. The O.S. doesn't fully know how to split the threads at this time so it takes a performance hit there. Before judging this processor as a hit or miss, we may have to wait to Windows 8 unless Microsoft come up with a Service Pack 2 that addresses the issue.

Honestly the Bulldozer doesn't really live up to all the hype it was getting, but 8 cores for this cheap is a big step forward. Can't imagine what we'll have in a couple of years.

The above post is also true

Edited by Nysba

Bulldozer was a bold move by AMD in many ways, and I really respect them for that. But it's too bad todays software hasn't quite reached the same level yet, not making use of threads and barely multiple cores. Most games are still developed to run on 5 years old hardware (Consoles). It seems AMD had a different vision of how things would've progressed until the day Bulldozer was finished for release, and they're definitely not alone in that matter! It's the same story with Intels upcoming Sandy Bridge-E. Damn I miss the old days when games were made for PC :unsure:

That watercooling however seems to be a last-minute addon since Intel announced they would do the same for their SB-E's, as I've read that there's a lot of confusion about it amongst manufacturers who apparently had no idea. It seems to be the main reason to why there are barely no BD's available anywhere yet. Hopefully they get it sorted out as soon as possible. There are also a few critical problems with the CPU's in certain games/applications to be fixed!

Anyways, I wouldn't buy this. It's been known for a while that AMD is planning on replacing this first generation of BD's with better enhanced ones already in Q1/2 2012. So I'd wait for that instead and hope they have fixed all of these teething troubles. But then they have face Ivybridge instead ;) Oh the drama! :laugh:

Edited by Mr. Bravo

Bulldozer was a bold move by AMD in many ways, and I really respect them for that. But it's too bad todays software hasn't quite reached the same level yet, not making use of threads and barely multiple cores. Most games are still developed to run on 5 years old hardware (Consoles). It seems AMD had a different vision of how things would've progressed until the day Bulldozer was finished for release, and they're definitely not alone in that matter! It's the same story with Intels upcoming Sandy Bridge-E. Damn I miss the old days when games were made for PC :unsure:

That watercooling however seems to be a last-minute addon since Intel announced they would do the same for their SB-E's, as I've read that there's a lot of confusion about it amongst manufacturers who apparently had no idea. It seems to be the main reason to why there are barely no BD's available anywhere yet. Hopefully they get it sorted out as soon as possible. There are also a few critical problems with the CPU's in certain games/applications to be fixed!

Anyways, I wouldn't buy this. It's been known for a while that AMD is planning on replacing this first generation of BD's with better enhanced ones already in Q1/2 2012. So I'd wait for that instead and hope they have fixed all of these teething troubles. But then they have face Ivybridge instead ;) Oh the drama! :laugh:

I've heard Intel wasn't going to pack any cooling at all for the Sandy Bridge-E's because system builders were likely to use their own with those CPU's that there was no point is using the stock coolers.

I've heard Intel wasn't going to pack any cooling at all for the Sandy Bridge-E's because system builders were likely to use their own with those CPU's that there was no point is using the stock coolers.

Nah, Intel chose not to pack any regular air-cooling, for that reason ;) Intel confirmed a few days ago that they're packing all Sandy Bridge-E's with specially designed watercoolers from Asetek (Just as AMD), while also selling the cooling separately to be used with other sockets. Not quite sure if it's based on exactly the same model as AMD's version, but they do look very alike.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/coolers/display/20111009230134_Intel_Confirms_Plan_to_Bundle_LGA2011_Chips_with_Own_Brand_Liquid_Coolers.html

yea i mean there are some things that arent helping AMD. i know about how the OS isnt helping it any.

idk when ill be able to build my PC, but right now im going with i5-2500k...if i cant build it till next Spring, then ill also have Piledriver and Ivy Bridge to consider. but honestly, the second im able to finally build my PC i will. if something better comes out a couple of months later...so be it, such is the nature of PCs. but in all honesty you can go wrong...1100t, Bulldozer, Piledriver Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. any of those will be sufficient for a while to come. its not like your performance will be hindered any if you got one over the other.

1100t, Bulldozer, Piledriver Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge. any of those will be sufficient for a while to come. its not like your performance will be hindered any if you got one over the other.

Still cant recommend anyone buying todays Bulldozer yet :P The fatal errors in windows, the high power-consumption, the lack of support in software, etc. There are just too many questions about its functionality to be worth the money yet. Also not sure yet if it's because of windows, drivers or the hardware itself though. But these things should be fixed to next generation, if AMD has any plans on staying strong on the market :mellow:

But yes, if you want a new PC today then screw this and get a Sandy Bridge instead :D CPU's today are not developing as fast as they used to, and certainly not as fast as graphic-cards. So any other modern CPU will work great for a few years to come. Hell, my over 2 years old i7 920 is still considered high-end :P