Creating a Fallout: New Vegas GECK Modding Team

SecretAgentGuy

You can see some of my stuff here in some images. None of my mods are, and never will be posted to this site.

... and why is that?

All I can think of is... elitism?

Uh oh.

Anyway OP, I see where you're going with this. Instead of giving you the usual "I'm sorry to say, but only stating that you have writing skills is blah blah blah blah" that I'm sure every other person will surely point out, I'll give you some points that you can actually use to take initiative. I'm also very strong on narrative when it comes to mods. I view games as the ultimate media, a creative method of storytelling using music and video in one definite art. I excelled in almost ever literature class I ever took for some strange reason, and I find pleasure in writing papers to either make claims, support arguments or create example scenarios (hence my love for storytelling). Therefore, I honestly do respect any potential modder who finds importance in the narrative aspect of modding.

Kudos.

HOWEVER. You should definitely develop other strengths, particularly how to be a Jack-of-all-trades. I have moderate experience in Java and C/C++ programming, and once I'm "done" with modding I plan to move onto creating simple but unique 2d games on a raw, open source game engine (Lord help me). I started modding back when the Source engine was booming and Half Life 2 was hot like no other. I also have picked up a few modeling skills while working with GECK. I've come to understand how SDKs are typically structured in my years of modding as well, though that isn't saying much.

The point I wish to make is, you may have a brilliant idea for a mod, an idea that may blow all of the stuck up, forum-lurking elitists out of the water and shut them up (hehe). But you must at least understand how modding works, particularly how the GECK works, so you can analyse what aspects of your grand "idea" is possible. You need a realistic standpoint. You're thinking like....err....like a bunch of 11 year old nerds got together at lunchtime and brainstormed the coolest idea for a video game. It might be a rad idea, but they don't have the slightest idea of what game development is like, or how the development process can hinder, if not kill, half of that creativity later down the road. I've seen this happen so many times: A group of potential modders get together in a development group/team to start work on an ambitious mod that would surely be fun to play. And sure, lets say that they have a slightly fair idea of how to make a mod for said game. But once the planning/brainstorming stages are complete, and its time to start producing, half of the members lose interest and flake. Why? Because they realized that actual work was involved to bring those grand ideas to life.

I hope you take this little lecture of mine as both valid advice and a concerned warning. Please, here me out. Only wish you the best in your modding experience.

Well, six months ago I wrote an idea for a story centered Minecraft SMP Server called "UnderEarth". Six months later, it is still running. I managed to find a gigantic team and audience for my idea due to my writing alone. Here's a link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/296671-underearth-the-last-bastion-of-humanity-open-beta/

Funny enough, a mod I'm working on right now for F:NV is underground-centered too.

Damn, scripting is some confusing s***.

Yeah, I suppose I'll stick with the easy stuff for now. I'm going to continue to learn how to best utilize the GECK until I can figure out how to get some coding experience.

If you'd like a lesson, PM me either your steam or skype username. I know I wish I had someone else to teach me a lot of this stuff.

You can see some of my stuff here in some images. None of my mods are, and never will be posted to this site.

... and why is that?

All I can think of is... elitism?

Uh oh.

Anyway OP, I see where you're going with this. Instead of giving you the usual "I'm sorry to say, but only stating that you have writing skills is blah blah blah blah" that I'm sure every other person will surely point out, I'll give you some points that you can actually use to take initiative. I'm also very strong on narrative when it comes to mods. I view games as the ultimate media, a creative method of storytelling using music and video in one definite art. I excelled in almost ever literature class I ever took for some strange reason, and I find pleasure in writing papers to either make claims, support arguments or create example scenarios (hence my love for storytelling). Therefore, I honestly do respect any potential modder who finds importance in the narrative aspect of modding.

Kudos.

HOWEVER. You should definitely develop other strengths, particularly how to be a Jack-of-all-trades. I have moderate experience in Java and C/C++ programming, and once I'm "done" with modding I plan to move onto creating simple but unique 2d games on a raw, open source game engine (Lord help me). I started modding back when the Source engine was booming and Half Life 2 was hot like no other. I also have picked up a few modeling skills while working with GECK. I've come to understand how SDKs are typically structured in my years of modding as well, though that isn't saying much.

The point I wish to make is, you may have a brilliant idea for a mod, an idea that may blow all of the stuck up, forum-lurking elitists out of the water and shut them up (hehe). But you must at least understand how modding works, particularly how the GECK works, so you can analyse what aspects of your grand "idea" is possible. You need a realistic standpoint. You're thinking like....err....like a bunch of 11 year old nerds got together at lunchtime and brainstormed the coolest idea for a video game. It might be a rad idea, but they don't have the slightest idea of what game development is like, or how the development process can hinder, if not kill, half of that creativity later down the road. I've seen this happen so many times: A group of potential modders get together in a development group/team to start work on an ambitious mod that would surely be fun to play. And sure, lets say that they have a slightly fair idea of how to make a mod for said game. But once the planning/brainstorming stages are complete, and its time to start producing, half of the members lose interest and flake. Why? Because they realized that actual work was involved to bring those grand ideas to life.

I hope you take this little lecture of mine as both valid advice and a concerned warning. Please, here me out. Only wish you the best in your modding experience.

Thankyou for making the points you've made, but like I said before, I am fully aware of how naive I may be coming off, and I want to dispel that by saying I know full 100%-well what it takes to make a video game or video game mod, and I know that it is an incredible amount of work. What I'm saying is, if someone is out there who knows there stuff, I could be very useful with my writing talents.

Thankyou for making the points you've made, but like I said before, I am fully aware of how naive I may be coming off, and I want to dispel that by saying I know full 100%-well what it takes to make a video game or video game mod, and I know that it is an incredible amount of work. What I'm saying is, if someone is out there who knows there stuff, I could be very useful with my writing talents.

Just throw up a good idea for a mod on this forum or the New Vegas Mod Requests. If people like it they will offer to help you and you can form a team. I have two active mods in progress this way, and a few in hibernation just waiting until there is some free time. ie the best way to show you are a good writer is to actually *show* it.

*sigh* ....you clearly missed half my point. :huh: Good luck anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...