Favorite RPG

kinglarsi

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RPGs? To be honest all I play are TES and FO3 when it comes to RPG games. I dont tend to like others because of their lack in history and depth. Never player NV because BGS didnt make it. I suppose you can call me brand loyal.

this is not supposed to be a list but more of a random recollection of my RPG gaming history:

• never winter nights quite enjoyable,NWN2 was enjoyable as the first, but the game seemed a bit rushed to me.

• Wizardry 8 all the way though and it wasn't bad - very linear game though, and i'm not a fan of turn based combat at all. Speaking of which, Betrayal at Krondor was well written and enjoyable apart from the annoying combat.

• I still enjoy Star wars: Knights of the old republic I & II - mainly because of the lightsabers and the philosophical aspects- Obsidian really did a great job with KOTOR II.

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R was great - again, rather linear I didn't bother with the expansion.

• Fallout 3 was awesome, though to be honest I think certain aspects of the original fallout series was lost in translation. Bethesda Softworks really dropped the ball with the end of Fallout 3 - I hated not being able to continue after the end.

• Diablo - one of the few things Blizzard got right, Diablo 2 was just annoying. I loved Deus Ex I lost countless hours playing that game.

• The Witcher - I liked how your choices early-on in the game return to haunt you later on.

• I preferred Gothic over Ultima 9, Arcanum bored me to hell. Baldur's gate was awesome though I preferred the storyline of Diablo as linear as it was. I never bothered with Morrowind*, or icewind dale.

I still play a bit of Daggerfall, Dosbox really helps...DF just has atmosphere to it - a quality so few games have these days.

*I know I know, i'm a horrible person.

Edited by shadow_scale9180

I played so many RPG's and liked them, I can't just choose which are the best.

But I'll try to give you a list of those that were the most memorable:

•  
  • Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic - I love this one, it's got many RPG mechanics and a great ending depending on your choices, I especially liked the dark side ending. KOTOR 2 was good too, but the story and ending were not as satisfying.

• Mass Effect 1/2 - The Mass Effect series has the best story I have ever heard in any video game (personal opinion), every choice you make has consequences and all that comes together in the amazing ending. Personally ME2 is my favorite RPG story wise.

• Witcher 2 - I liked this one, it has tactical combat, great atmosphere and story, and a lot of RPG elements. The small choices in the game don't have a great impact on everything, but the big ones do. (Like choosing to fight for the rebellion or the king). The graphics are the best I have seen in any RPG. Another plus, you get free DLC and the 2.0 patch is gigantic.

• Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga - Another great RPG, I'm replaying it right now. There are tons of quests, the story is good, and you get a really great reward when you get to the middle of the game. But it's unfair sometimes, and you have to save quite often. A great game nonetheless.

• Risen - The game starts out with you being a nobody. You survived a sea storm, and are swept on the nearest shore. First you have to fight with sticks, and knives, eat food and just try to survive, later in the game you get more powerful and you befriend with one of the factions in the game, which gives you a great sense of accomplishment. The quests are well done, the atmosphere is nice, and there are a lot of RPG elements, like smithing, cooking, alchemy etc. I recommend playing this one, it's really good.

I think that's it, those are my most memorable RPG's I played in the last year.

EDIT: Excluding Oblivion, Morrowind and Daggerfall. But I guess you already played those, that's why I didn't write them down.

Edited by Iv000

Without naming a bethesda game ... uh... RPG... um... Ive played a lot but they arn't really my favorite genre outside of TES and F3 .. JRPGs don't do a thing for me .. other western RPGs promise open worlds but never deliver like beth .. I really liked Dragin Age .. but there are other non RPGs that make it way higher on my list .. Fable series .. The Sims .. Black and White .. Harvest Moon.. Saints Row 2 and maybe 3 .. Portal .. Zelda ..

Games that are not RPGs:

The Sims

Portal

Black and White, for the most part.

I haven't really played that many in the way of RPG but there was this little game called Avernum produced by Spiderweb software that kept me busy for hours and I played the 3rd one, also played Exile 3 which was the same thing with really base graphics LOL. Other than that I play Sims 3 sometimes. Hopefully the Pets expansion will add a little bit to the game, I'm awfully bored with it. Edited by Tweetybird

Well, lv100 already explained pretty well the top ones on my list, but I'll go ahead and put em down anyways.

-Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2; I recommend getting both. While number's 2 ending isn't as satisfying as what you get in KoTOR 1, KoTOR 2 has a far darker atmosphere than KoTOR 1, and overall, I personally enjoyed number 2 more (until the ending, ofc).

-Mass Effect 1/2; lv100 pretty much said it all :P

-Witcher 2; I've been playing the heck out of this thing. 50 hours in and I'm still only partially through Act 2 (I think there are 3 in all)

-Dragon Age: Origins; Epic upon epics here. I loved DA:O. DLC stunk imo, but the original game is awesome. Dragon Age 2 is kind of subjective, I personally enjoyed the game for the most part (until the final act), but if you're looking of story continuity, I'd suggest picking it up as well.

-Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Honestly, I didn't expect much from this game at all, and got it on Steam at the very last minute to pre-order. I don't regret it. At all. Ever. I. Love. This. Game. Like a lot. Lol. I wasn't satisfied with ending, however, but for the most part, this game was a lot of fun.

If you like MMO's, I suggest getting Guild Wars. You buy the game once, and you never have to pay an online subscription fee. :thumbsup: