ENB causing CTD on start-up

ff7legend

I'm at my wits end here. For whatever reason, I cannot get ENB to work properly at all. Anytime I try to launch the game with F4SE installed alongside ENB, the game CTDs on launch. No, I don't have any overlays or antivirus running when launching FO4. No, I don't have any missing/out of order masters since I always check for said issue via running my entire load order through FO4Edit in an effort to scan for said issue seeing as how FO4Edit will alert me with a Fatal Error, which it does not. Please help. I've tried everything & still, the game CTDs on launch with ENB installed. Had this same issue with Skyrim a ways back. F4SE just doesn't seem to get along with ENB period for whatever reason.

Was running the 0.307 Binaries, then rolled back to the 0.291 Binaries since the 0.307 Binaries didn't seem to get along with F4SE very well. Having the same issue with the 0.291 Binaries as well. Ever since the 1.5 update, ENB will not work properly at all. Everything was fine until Bethesda screwed everything up with their broken 1.5 update. I do not run beta Binaries at all due to the risk of bugs/glitches. Shadow Boost by Alexander Blade has this same problem with CTD on start-up when running F4SE, which is essential for a couple of mods I'm running (Looksmenu, Achievements). Removing all traces of ENB/Shadow Boost gets rid of the issue. There's a conflict between ENB/Shadow Boost & F4SE that's causing a CTD on start-up. I've pretty much given up on running ENB/Shadow Boost altogether until something is done to make them run together with the broken 1.5 update.

I run ENB and Shadowboost with the latest update and F4SE. No issues whatsoever. Make sure you are running the correct F4SE version. There is one for the beta (1.5.205) and one for the normal version (1.5.157).

Also, did you make any edits to the enblocal.ini or the shadowboost.ini? Maybe you made a mistake there. enblocal.ini only needs the videomemorysize amount as reported by the vram tool. Well, it doesn't even need that to run but it's good to set it anyways. The shadowboost.ini needs a valid target FPS amount only, the rest can be left unchanged. Any changes you want to make to ENB can be done via the ingame ENB overlay. Shift+enter brings that up.

I run ENB and Shadowboost with the latest update and F4SE. No issues whatsoever. Make sure you are running the correct F4SE version. There is one for the beta (1.5.205) and one for the normal version (1.5.157).

Also, did you make any edits to the enblocal.ini or the shadowboost.ini? Maybe you made a mistake there. enblocal.ini only needs the videomemorysize amount as reported by the vram tool. Well, it doesn't even need that to run but it's good to set it anyways. The shadowboost.ini needs a valid target FPS amount only, the rest can be left unchanged. Any changes you want to make to ENB can be done via the ingame ENB overlay. Shift+enter brings that up.

I seem to have fixed the ENB issue but Shadowboost still causes a CTD on start-up. I'm running the stable release (1.5.157) & F4SE 1.13 (FO4 1.5.157-compatible version of F4SE). Shadowboost will not work even after I set my target FPS, which is 5 FPS below my default FPS (60 FPS on a 60 Hz screen). Yes, I have v-sync enabled & yes, I have iPresentInterval=1 set in Fallout4.ini/Fallout4Prefs.ini, both of which are the default settings. At least I got ENB working, though Shadowboost still refuses to work despite following the instructions in the description (Downloaded/installed the latest binaries for Shadowboost & downloaded/installed the Configs file on the Shadowboost mod page) on the Shadowboost mod page.

I don't get it man...last night was playin' a game smooth as butter - for the first time ever (finally found some ini tweaks and 3rd party set ups that worked for me)...woke up today eager to get playin' an' CTD on save continue/load up...did what you did...disable SB/uninstalled and same with ENB. NOTHING is working...HELP!!

I don't get it man...last night was playin' a game smooth as butter - for the first time ever (finally found some ini tweaks and 3rd party set ups that worked for me)...woke up today eager to get playin' an' CTD on save continue/load up...did what you did...disable SB/uninstalled and same with ENB. NOTHING is working...HELP!!

Here's how I fixed everything other than Shadowboost still not working:

Back up your loadorder.txt/plugins.txt & save them to a back-up location. Open your mod manager & deactivate all mods (DON'T uninstall them). Once that's done, navigate to Steam/Steamapps/Common/Fallout4/Data folder. There should be only 2 folders left (Strings & Video) after deactivating all mods using your mod manager. If there are any folders present other than Strings & Video in your Data folder, delete them all. This is what's crashing the game. Left over mod files that aren't being used by the game & yet are still being read by the game for whatever reason. Mod managers have a bad habit of not removing all mod files from the Data folder, which needs to be addressed in future releases/updates. Once your Data folder has been purged of all leftover mod files, open your mod manager & reactivate all your mods once again. Restore your backed up loadorder.txt/plug-ins.txt files back to their original location (C:\Users\your name\Appdata\Local\Fallout4) & fire up the game. Your CTD issue should be gone as long as you deleted all the aforementioned leftover mod files from your Data folder. Also, make sure all the Strings files for the base game/any DLC you have installed are present within the Strings folder. If not, you'll need to use the following utility to extract them from the main .BA2 (DLCRobot - Main.BA2, DLCworkshop01 - Main.BA2, & DLCCoast - Main.BA2) file into the Strings folder. Hope this helps.

I have a similar problem since the 1.5.205 update. CTD from start regardless of mods. Restarting my computer will allow fo4 to start once and run normally. when I exit the game it will CTD until my pc is restarted again.

What I have tried:

1. Reinstalling windows
  2. latest gpu drivers
  3. no mods or loaders || just f4se || just enb || various mixes
  4. looking for services or applications starting with fo4 that are not closing when exiting fo4
  5. Scratching my head.

I am at an end to anything I can think of. I generally make my own mods and having to restart my pc whenever I test a change is frustrating to say the least.

I have a similar problem since the 1.5.205 update. CTD from start regardless of mods. Restarting my computer will allow fo4 to start once and run normally. when I exit the game it will CTD until my pc is restarted again.

What I have tried:

1. Reinstalling windows
  2. latest gpu drivers
  4. looking for services or applications starting with fo4 that are not closing when exiting fo4
  5. Scratching my head.

I am at an end to anything I can think of. I generally make my own mods and having to restart my pc whenever I test a change is frustrating to say the least.

F4se beta .205 works with 1.5.205 update. New steam beta 1.5.211 just rolled out, so make sure your Fallout4 profile is set to opt out any of it (if you had it turned on before). There is no F4se for v.211 atm.

What I have tried:

1. Reinstalling windows
  2. latest gpu drivers
  5. Scratching my head.

F4se beta .205 works with 1.5.205 update. New steam beta 1.5.211 just rolled out, so make sure your Fallout4 profile is set to opt out any of it (if you had it turned on before). There is no F4se for v.211 atm.

I have tried without any mods or loaders, a full clean install. It just will not start without restarting my computer.