Why use companions?

erikface

I'd be happy if Skyrim didn't have any companions at all. Companions feel out of place in an Elder Scrolls style game, and in New Vegas, they basically played the game for you. The obvious solution was "just don't use them." Ignoring the fact that doing so put you at a huge disadvantage for numerous reasons, you had to use them if you wanted to unlock their quests and, in most cases, get good endings for them. Of course the implementation of companions in Skyrim might be very different than New Vegas, but what it all comes down to is that Elder Scrolls games are best enjoyed alone, with you the player relying completely on your own abilities.

How do the companions fit out of place in TES? The only unrealistic aspect of companions is that they get in the way and steal kills. I'm fairly sure that Skyrim will have greatly improved upon this, since nearly everyone will be able to adventure with you. I'm guessing along the lines of

1. Don't attack if dovahkiin is in front of you

2. Be weaker than dovahkiin

3. Don't repeat words to dovahkiin

4. Give experience to dovahkiin

There you have it. Awesome companion.

Going alone on missions or raiding by yourself in an environment like TES is dangerous. There would be a handful of people in the ancient world who actually could go and clear out a cave full of bandits. I think having a companion or two increases the realism, because realistically it would be hard to kill 10 bandits alone.

Edited by billyro

How do the companions fit out of place in TES? The only unrealistic aspect of companions is that they get in the way and steal kills. I'm fairly sure that Skyrim will have greatly improved upon this, since nearly everyone will be able to adventure with you. I'm guessing along the lines of

Going alone on missions or raiding by yourself in an environment like TES is dangerous. There would be a handful of people in the ancient world who actually could go and clear out a cave full of bandits. I think having a companion or two increases the realism, because realistically it would be hard to kill 10 bandits alone.

It's not about realism, its about gameplay. We don't have much information to go on, so I'm going by past experiences, and from those experiences I feel that compainions in Bethesda's games weaken the gameplay, which is structured around you being the lone hero, solving problems by relying on the abilities you chose to specialize in. Unlike other famous RPGs where companions are a core element of the gameplay (IE Baldur's Gate), you don't get involved with managing your companions tactically. They just follow you around and play certain elements of the game for you.

It's not about realism, its about gameplay. We don't have much information to go on, so I'm going by past experiences, and from those experiences I feel that compainions in Bethesda's games weaken the gameplay, which is structured around you being the lone hero, solving problems by relying on the abilities you chose to specialize in. Unlike other famous RPGs where companions are a core element of the gameplay (IE Baldur's Gate), you don't get involved with managing your companions tactically. They just follow you around and play certain elements of the game for you.

Yes, I see your point. In previous games, Bethesda has done average with companions. However, Skyrim is a future game, and gains benefit of the doubt. I am fairly sure that there will be much improvement, maybe to the point where everyone wants companions. You are also right, the game is built for the hero to do, almost a solitary mission, but perhaps some of the fun is obtained through companions helping. Smart companions helping, I should say. Basically, if the companions have improved to be much more than minions who get in the way, Skyrim will be a companion game.

"DRAAAAGOOON!"

"Awwww SHIIIII"

"What do we do Mr. Dragonborn?"

"Stay right here."

"Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?"

"No, right here."

"But the drag-"

"right here"

"Okay... :("

*runs off while dragon feasts on friend*

lol.

i LOVE the companions idea. not only that they are helpful, as others have said (carry loot, fight, lockpick etc) they also give me a sense of ... umm... companionship. like im doing a quest with a friend. i get easily attached :P to me, if the companions are not too silent and occasionaly say something than i feel like there's a person with me. someone i can share the adventure with (since there is no online co-op). i dont care if i dont get XP from him. i really dont. it's not what i want the companion for.

im stoked about this idea.

@ topeira I fully agree with you. I usualy take companions along with me in games just for that... companionship... and its more fun! caves with a split up if you can tell em to wait let em wait and watch your back that way while you go explore that path :P I <3 companions

Companions are as good a you make them, and as good as the game's AI allows. They generally will force you to change your play style in order to enjoy their company, so obviously continuing the "lone wolf" mindset isn't going to work most of the time.

If the AI is crappy, companions become walking storage or meat shields; if it's passable (and they have command prompts like Skyrim), they can become allies in battle. Or just better meat shields.

I'm impressed with what I've heard about the ally AI so far! Here's hoping they don't have similar path finding issues to Oblivion.