Should I buy Skyrim for PC or 360?

crazynuts

What everyone else said. Unless your TV is really old, you should be able to hook it up to your computer, either as a second monitor outright or a "TV" peripheral that is accessed through your video card settings. Newer televisions (by that I mean a normal modern day one that I still don't have) have HDMI ports, and guess what the standard port for a computer monitor is? If you said VGA, welcome back to Earth and congratulations on being the first person to live on Jupiter for a decade.

As for the controller, X-Padder. Problem solved. I haven't tried it yet, because I can't get Oblivion to show up on my TV screen so I just play it at the computer, but it is sworn by from everyone I've talked to about it. Basically it's a little program that fools Windows into thinking you're still using the keyboard and mouse. I'm pretty sure it works with every game that can read a keyboard and mouse in Windows. It's better than the drivers that come with the X-Box 360 controller adapter, because those try to make it actually work as a gamepad. Oblivion, which was designed for the 360 specifically and ported to Windows later, does not work with an X-Box 360 Controller in Windows. :rolleyes: (At least not without a lot of fuss.)

Also, another reason I didn't see mentioned (until someone beat me to it, above): Upgrades. Remember Oblivion's piddly little official patches? Then remember the fan-created unofficial patch? Yeah. You need to play any serious game like Skyrim or Fallout on your computer if you care at all about it actually working properly. Tons of Oblivion quests contained bugs and design flaws that were only fixed in the unofficial patches. Bethesda barely corrected a fraction of the game breaking bugs in that game. Even if you're not into modding, you should make these fan-made fixes available to yourself.

And playing games on the couch with a controller = WIN unless you have to use the computer for graphics purposes (like I do) or care a lot about exact precision control with the mouse. Skyrim and Oblivion were both, quite literally, made to be played on the couch while unwinding in the evening. They're single player for a reason. Back in my Quake and Doom days, I much preferred the mouse, but these games need to be played on the couch.

Edited by Megatarius

this thread might as well have been "should I get skyrim? . or . do you guys like skyrim?" lols .. this is the nexus xD .. of course we all would advise the PC .. I would advise the PC version of just about every game out there if you can run it .. well.. except deus ex 3 .. that game didn't run to well on PC.

@Mega .. Skyrim will not require Xpadder since it has full 360 control support unlike Oblivion.

Edited by jedimembrain

Thank you for your responses everyone, I greatly appreciate the information.

I'm not to computer savvy, but I do love the idea of hooking my PC up to my T.V. This may sound odd but I was not aware I could do that.

Before I started this thread, I was very interested in the 360 version of the game, and as of right now, I am strongly leaning towards the PC version.

These are my PC's specs -

Intel® Core i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz

8.0 GB Ram

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

GeForce GTX 560 Ti

-Video RAM 4gb

-Hardware T&L

-Pixel Shader version 5.0

-Vertex Shader version 5.0

Free disk space: 731.0 GB

And my TV is - Sharp Aquos Quattron LC-60LE830U

**Now without making myself sound to retarded, with this setup will I be able to play Skyrim on my T.V with a controller ( 360 version or not ), without the graphics and or resolution going all out of whack on my television?**

Thanks for all the information guys!

560ti uses a mini HDMI so use an HDMI to mini HDMI cable and for resolution.... holy crap your TV owns. if your PC rez is set at1920 x 1080 like your TV then you have no problem switching between your pc monitor and TV. if the resolution is different everytime you switch your main monitor you desktop icons go all over the place.

now for the controller if want to use a wireless you'll need this http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/ and install the driver

if you have a wired one just plug it in to your PC should work if it doesnt install the driiver found here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

edit: right click on your desktop go to screen resolution, press detect if it didnt notice the TV for some reason from there you can extend the displays or duplicate the displays and there youre done games will show up on your "main" display unless you duplicate displays so make your main your HDTV and play on. not hard at all once you go through it once.

Edited by hector530

Sometimes the resolutions dont match up exactly when transferring comp to HDTV. When I set up my tv which is 1080, 1920x1080 output from the computer resulted in a overscan on the tv, but Nvidia had fairly simple adjustments to remedy the problem. My ex roommate had the same problem initially as well, but its easy to remedy if it occurs.

If you even have to ask that at this point, then you should just decide for yourself.

While there were very good arguments for buying Oblivion on 360 when it first came out (360 hardware was much more impressive back then), that's not the case anymore. It should be pretty obvious the PC version is better now that the 360 hardware is so dated.

So, I can only assume there's some other reason you're looking at 360, in which case you should just weigh the options and decide for yourself.

This message was composed on my widescreen TV connected via HDMI to my PC.