Large Address Aware Patch

crazynuts

Hello everyone! I had great luck with the last technical support thread that I started, and I am now happily running my pc on my television.

However,.. I know virtually nothing about computers.

So, my question is, after having done some research, (and browsing these forums) I noticed that I may need to add what is called a "Large Address Aware Patch" to my system, in order for it to use more than 4gb of ram at any given time.

Does anyone here know if this is necessary with a 64-bit operating system? ( And if so, could you explain it in laymen's terms for me?)

I am sure there are other (computer illiterate) future PC-version Skyrim players out there who are wondering the same thing.

Thanks for any help!

These are my PC's specs -

Intel® Core™ i7-2600S CPU @ 2.80GHz

8.0 GB Ram

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

GeForce GTX 560 Ti

-Video RAM 4gb

-Hardware T&L

-Pixel Shader version 5.0

-Vertex Shader version 5.0

Free disk space: 731.0 GB

Yes, you will need such a patch for the game to utilize more than 2 gigs of RAM.

Here's more info and instructions on how to patch it.

The game isn't even out first of all. So you don't know if the game can or can't utilize more than 2 GB. Secondly, he doesn't need the patch because he has Windows 7 64 Bit. Windows 7 utilizes all the RAM that is installed on a computer. The only thing RAM does is enable you to multitask and keep programs open without slowing down your computer. Skyrim is only one program. And judging by his PC specs, it would be an insult to try and patch that computer.

Edited by Stycks

Yes, you will need such a patch for the game to utilize more than 2 gigs of RAM.

The game isn't even out first of all. So you don't know if the game can or can't utilize more than 2 GB. Secondly, he doesn't need the patch because he has Windows 7 64 Bit. Windows 7 utilizes all the RAM that is installed on a computer. The only thing RAM does is enable you to multitask and keep programs open without slowing down your computer. Skyrim is only one program. And judging by his PC specs, it would be an insult to try and patch that computer.

Bethesda have made it clear the game is a port, it is very unlikely the executable will be 64bit or even large flag aware, in that case it will have to be patched to use more than 2GB of RAM.

Bethesda have made it clear the game is a port, it is very unlikely the executable will be 64bit or even large flag aware, in that case it will have to be patched to use more than 2GB of RAM.

If that is the case, then Bethesda shouldn't even be talking about a modding community or releasing the creation kit then. Even if it is a port from the 360, it does not mean they didn't address all of these things for the PC.

There are so many things wrong with this post. First, your computer can use tons of RAM for a single program, not just multitasking. I run VSTs that take up all 12gb of mine in a single program all the time. Second, just because he is running windows 7 64bit doesn't mean an EXE will run in 64bit or 32bit, if it's running in 32 like most programs are designed for, it will only use a few gigs max. Your post comes off as being very condescending yet it is clear you don't even know what you are talking about.

There are so many things wrong with this post. First, your computer can use tons of RAM for a single program, not just multitasking. I run VSTs that take up all 12gb of mine in a single program all the time. Second, just because he is running windows 7 64bit doesn't mean an EXE will run in 64bit or 32bit, if it's running in 32 like most programs are designed for, it will only use a few gigs max. Your post comes off as being very condescending yet it is clear you don't even know what you are talking about.

I am not bashing at anyone, and your post isn't helping his situation at all. Yes, this program will most likely run in just 32 bit. Yes, depending on the program you run, it may or may not need more access memory. Does that mean Skyrim will need 12 GB? or even 4 GB? No. Not even close. Even with mods. Also, this is not an audio studio program, it is a game.

Edited by Stycks

As has already been pointed out - the game specs have not yet been revealed, so most of this is premature.

Best guess. In order to be backward compatible Skyrim will be a 32 bit application. If so, the game itself will most likely have a built in 2G Ram limit. A LGA patch would allow about 3G max on a 32 bit machine.

To allow the game to use more than that 2G on a 64 bit machine, a LGA patch will be needed. They are readily available and easy to install. However, The game is going to be through steam, and steam may cause problems with a LGA patch. We will just have to wait and see - Personally, I hope the game comes with the LGA patch already in place.

As has already been pointed out - the game specs have not yet been revealed, so most of this is premature.

Best guess. In order to be backward compatible Skyrim will be a 32 bit application. If so, the game itself will most likely have a built in 2G Ram limit. A LGA patch would allow about 3G max on a 32 bit machine.

To allow the game to use more than that 2G on a 64 bit machine, a LGA patch will be needed. They are readily available and easy to install. However, The game is going to be through steam, and steam may cause problems with a LGA patch. We will just have to wait and see - Personally, I hope the game comes with the LGA patch already in place.

I really hope it does too. Bethesda would be really dense if they overlooked this.