People be hatin' on Bethesda mon...

Jakeschulz

well lately there has been this whole problem with Mojang and bethesda, bethesda is sueing Mojang for using the word "scrolls", which a lot of people are like "oh man you cant sue them for that man oh bethesda are bad blah blah blah"

HOWEVER!

Bethesda don't even want to sue them, they just have to defend their brand, as Mojang were going to copyright all sorts of stuff for Scrolls, like all the media uses. bethesda are just defending themselves. so why do so many people blame Bethesda??

I agree .. this is not bethesda beating up on the little guy "I play minecraft and love it btw" .. this is bethesda protecting their namesake.. Scrolls is not a common name like some people have said. Scrolls has meant elder scrolls for years .. googles scrolls and look at what comes up .. its mostly elder scrolls... as I said in the info thread .. what if someone made a game called nukem or c.o.d. or creed? .. those companies would be sued too .. you can't take this stuff lightly as a brand.. they could loose the right to use the title on merchandise and promotional ads .. Bethesda haven't really used it in this way and its mostly the fans using the term "scrolls" bu that doesn't mean they will just let mojang take it.

@ amycus .. you mean.. there are forums outside of the skyrim topic? <_< lols

Edited by jedimembrain

@ amycus .. you mean.. there are forums outside of the skyrim topic? <_< lols

hm, fair enough. I didn't think that most people would now search for this kind of topic in the skyrim section instead of the news section.

Anyways, my take on it is that Bethesda never had much to go on, since really - who really thinks of "the elder scrolls" when they just hear the word scrolls? I have heard people say how excited they are for the new game Oblivion:skyrim :facepalm:

Most people know their games as morrowind, oblivion, skyrim and so on.

That being said, I don't really blame Bethesda, since if they don't complain now, others might use the name "scrolls" in a way that is more similar to "the elder scrolls" and refer to Mojang if they only start complaining then - at least that's what I gather from it.

Also, as someone pointed out in an earlier thread, it was a bit cruel/dumb of notch to make everything public from day 1, as if trying to make bethesda sound like the bad guys.

Bethesda don't even want to sue them, they just have to defend their brand, as Mojang were going to copyright all sorts of stuff for Scrolls, like all the media uses. bethesda are just defending themselves. so why do so many people blame Bethesda??

Mojang offered to give up the Scrolls trademark. Bethesda sued anyway.

Source: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/10990169550/a-short-response

It's matter of opinion, I say it's the metioned "Beating" rather than protecting trademark. You don't see Bioware sueing every developer who made game with "Dragon" in the name either. It's not like anyone would ever mistake Scrolls and Elder Scrolls. Well. Someone could. But that's whole different dimension. Edited by elvinkun