Skyrim: How long will this one last?

MoonlightWyvern

It was whilst reading a couple of ambitious mod suggestions and their replies that I started to think - How long will Skyrim last? Or in other words; How far will Skyrim go?

A lot of the replies I found to these ambitious posts were that the mod would remain forever in beta version, or would never be complete. Not 100%. From what I read, some assumed that people would just lose interest and such, but with an ever expanding Mod Community, more so now than ever, will that still be so?

However, another interesting point I think people made was that the Mod wouldn’t be finished before the next instalment of TES came along. That's the point that got me thinking...

Oblivion has lasted over 5 years on the shelves, and even now you can find the anniversary addition at a not too inexpensive price in many game shops. The game has simply stood the trials of shelf-time and is still standing by with all of the dignity and pride of the very heroes it created. I think we all believe that Skyrim is coming out just as Oblivion is starting to date, and the community need a refreshing breeze to blow out the dust and mess of over 10,000 mods. It’s like a vast cold wind on a humid day of recycled air. But, with this massive time between games, how long will Skyrim last?

Longer?

If so, will it give us more precious time to bring to life the most ambitious of all the wonderful ideas of the modding community? And, with more people coming to mod, will our interests last longer with Skyrim and all the brand new features it has to offer?

What do you think?

I think it can easily last as long as Oblivion - if not longer.

Reason #1: The modding community is now so much more active and connected than they were in 2005. Modding was something that was done by a relatively small percentage of the users... something that has changed given the release of Oblivion, Fallout, Dragon's Age and others. I speak from a neophyte's point of view. I've always been interested in modding and am looking to the release of Skyrim as the opportunity to not only learn, but grow with cutting edge tools.

Reason #2: With modding making it's first forays into this console generation (Little Big Planet and Infamous to name a couple) and with the next console generation due within 2-3 years, I can see a time when modders can publish their mods to the console players as well. The recent announcement of Xbox 720 coming out by Holiday 2013 allows Microsoft a change to get caught up with the growing group of console modders on the PS3 and open that possibility up. If that happens, Skyrim can easily last a decade.

**drops $.02 in the bucket**

As far as shelf life? .. That's because it was GOTY .. Any game that gets GOTY will end up on shelves much longer than any other title.

The reason mod threads are getting replays like that are because the game isn't even out .. people wanting to start large mod projects without even knowing what is in the game or what is possible with the system.

I just started a mod thread myself offering my modeling talents to any werewolf mod groups .. I know its to early to start the mod but I want to put myself out there so when a mod group comes along post-release and wants to start a werewolf mod "we all know it will happen" I will have made it clear that I'm willing to help.

If you're talking about in game 300hrs+. there is apparently so much to do and not only that but everyone (ok almost) has to play it twice. I don't think I've ever gone through a game only once. Or at least I've attempted a second try :)

With all these new aspects of the game with marriage, new AI, I think Skyrim can be easily played for longer than 300hrs.....400 if you're daring? But lets of course not forget mods....mods make everything longer lol

Well i can safely say, that i have racked up over 900 hours of gameplay on Oblivion console and over 700 hours gameplay on Oblivion pc ( i know i need to get out more,lol ) the thing is there is sooo much to do in these Epic games.

I am one of these people who not only likes to explore every single cave,dungeon,ruin etc.

Collect every single Treasure,ingredient,potion etc.

Do every single Quest multiple times to make sure i get the top Treasure ( yes, i am a treasure fanatic,lol )

But i like to spend hours decorating and displaying all my hard earned Treasures in ALL my houses, i have certain themes for all of them and put painstaking detail in to every last one of them.

So in answer to the question. I think i will be playing this Epic of all Epic games for 1000s of hours with all that is going to be in the game, and thats just what we know about and not what we have actually to find out for ourselves yet.

Im sure im not the only one who will do this, but i know for CERTAIN, that whoever decides to invest in this game will KNOW and FEEL that they have invested there money wisely for many many many hours to come,lol.

And yes as i said, I do need to get out more, but have a sneaky feeling that just isnt going to happen too much once 11.11.11 arrives,haha.

Happy Travels my fellow Treasure Hunters and Keep your eyes sharp, and your Blade even sharper.

Edited by ijc1927