Crashing in Weynon Priory (turning off mods doesn't help)

Nairbog

I am unfortunately crashing in and around the Weynon Priory area with unfortunate consistency. It happens most consistently in a very specific spot: when going up the road to Weynon Priory, I crash right as the road splits, about 5 yards in front of Antus Odiil (one of the brothers you need to save for "The Killing Field). I have that quest going but have not triggered the event yet since I haven't talked to Rallus. I'm thinking it may be a quest related corruption though because months ago on the same character I started the quest but it got bugged (Rallus stuck in a pathing loop) and so I loaded before then and eventually fixed the issue. Once I fixed it, I loaded before it so I could do it later on.

Probably the most important detail aside from the *very* specific point at which it happens is that it *doesn't* happen if I load up a save from before I rescued Martin from Kvatch. I can run around Weynon Priory and the surrounding area with reckless abandon w/o problems. Also of note is that the problem occurs regardless of whether I have mods turned on. I have already gone through mod debugging (turning off a mod(s), porting to testhall, waiting 4 days to clear cells, and coming back) and got all the way down to no mods/dlc at all and the problem still occurred. I even tried removing the obse files temporarily to see if that could be causing it.

I have been using Earl's Oblivion Crash Prevention System from early on, and I've read that saves can become corrupt when it stops Oblivion from crashing when it should, so I'm guessing that's what's happened. I'm just hoping someone might know a way to clear the corruption or find a way around it without having to go back to my earlier save (about 40 gameplay hours ago) because I'm not sure I could bare redoing everything again. I'm not the type of player that enjoys multiple playthroughs on different characters, I make one that I do everything with and I move on to another game. I would really appreciate any help on this.

Technical stuff:

- Running Windows 7 64-bit, steam install to my C:/Games folder to bypass UAC.

- bdospecularpass is set to 1, so it's not the same as the crash that happens in the area when you have that turned off.

- Have OBSE installed with fast-exit, earl's crash prevention system, and oblivion stutter remover (none of these are causing the crash though, at least not directly)

- Use BOSS after every new mod/bashed patch config

I would suggest exporting your load order to a text file using OBMM and posting it here. I do sympathise with you because once upon a time I had that problem myself, I just wish I could remember exactly how I solved it.

Let us know your load order, however, you might also try cleaning your savegame with Wrye Bash. Also BOSS does not always get the load order completely right, as there are some mods that need to be near or at the bottom of your load order and I have found that BOSS does not always put them there. Deadly Reflex - Combat Moves and Bashed Patch itself spring to mind as examples. You also need to make sure that you configure your Bashed Patch correctly, and there are some mods that need to be disabled when building your patch - Deadly Reflex - Combat Moves again!

I would suggest exporting your load order to a text file using OBMM and posting it here. I do sympathise with you because once upon a time I had that problem myself, I just wish I could remember exactly how I solved it.

Let us know your load order, however, you might also try cleaning your savegame with Wrye Bash. Also BOSS does not always get the load order completely right, as there are some mods that need to be near or at the bottom of your load order and I have found that BOSS does not always put them there. Deadly Reflex - Combat Moves and Bashed Patch itself spring to mind as examples. You also need to make sure that you configure your Bashed Patch correctly, and there are some mods that need to be disabled when building your patch - Deadly Reflex - Combat Moves again!

I could be wrong, but how could my load order have anything to do with it if it happens even when *every* mod is turned off (and I clear the cells by waiting in the testing zone for 4 days)?

'Turning a mod off' (i.e. deactivating it) doesn't stop the game from loading it's resources (meshes, textures, sounds etc.). The game loads everything it finds in the Data folder with the exception of non-game extensions like .txt, .jpg, .doc and .rtf. To stop the game from loading them you need to either completely uninstall the mod or use something like Wrye Bash's ghosting or BAIN (no experience there myself). A lot of stuff gets stored in your savegame and it's known that quicksave and autosave lead to save file corruption. I've had situations where a particular spot caused CTD, and after I'd avoided the area for a while and done other quests the same spot was OK. I would try uninstalling mods, a group at a time if you have an extensive list, starting with the most recent additions and then 'coc center' for 72+ hours.

'Turning a mod off' (i.e. deactivating it) doesn't stop the game from loading it's resources (meshes, textures, sounds etc.). The game loads everything it finds in the Data folder with the exception of non-game extensions like .txt, .jpg, .doc and .rtf. To stop the game from loading them you need to either completely uninstall the mod or use something like Wrye Bash's ghosting or BAIN (no experience there myself). A lot of stuff gets stored in your savegame and it's known that quicksave and autosave lead to save file corruption. I've had situations where a particular spot caused CTD, and after I'd avoided the area for a while and done other quests the same spot was OK. I would try uninstalling mods, a group at a time if you have an extensive list, starting with the most recent additions and then 'coc center' for 72+ hours.

Well there's more supporting my "it's not a mod" theory and it's why I haven't posted my load order (I think it distracts from what is the real issue and I don't want to waste people's time). Even with all the same mods loaded, I can load a save prior to returning to Weynon Priory and fighting off the Dark Brotherhood and the area is fine. There seems to be some kind of bug related to the main quest that caused corrupted data in the area. If it was a mod load order problem, it wouldn't make sense that I could load an earlier (has to be exactly before advancing that part of main quest, I've tried more recent ones) save with all the same mods/load order.

As for quicksave/autosave, I never use them. I did have autosave attached to wait for awhile before I knew about the problems, but I vaguely remember someone saying autosave on wait was ok. Still, I ended up turning that off about 10 gameplay hours ago just in case. I also use BAIN for every mod that's BAIN-ready and made sure I was truly uninstalling the mods that require more than unchecking them in Wrye to remove.

Am I wrong? Could it still be mods even though it seems to be as specific point in the save that breaks it regardless of which mods I have on? I really hope I am wrong, since a mod problem I can fix: a corrupted save, not much I can do. I wasn't aware of any Wrye Bash tools for cleaning up corrupted saves beyond removing bloating. If there is something I'm missing I'd appreciate being pointed to that as well. Thanks much.