Dragon Shouts are OP.

Goliath978

Draugr can use shouts.... :biggrin:

Yeah no they can't :P

And so 60 dragons, then, in total? Though there were 24 shouts before.

Uh, yeah they likely can...

There are a handful of creatures that speak dragon... (gameinformer online stuff from feb issue)

This could potentially mean boss Draugr, some Giants, Dragon priests and even some NPCs (greybeards included) have the capacity for shout-based combat.

Then 24 shouts. one of which is a name, so 23. Then 3 words per shout. 69 words and one name that potentially is 3 words (72 total)

Edited by Odai

Actually, shouts are a damn good way to give warrior and thief characters a chance to compete somewhat with a Mage character, which has traditionally been able to do all these things without cooldowns.

Come to think of it, I'm sure someone will mod the shouts so that they have no cooldowns but require Magicka to cast...

Come to think of it, I'm sure someone will mod the shouts so that they have no cooldowns but require Magicka to cast...

Kind of depends on how it's set up. Oblivion spells were hard coded, and considering Dragon Shouts have their own button, they're likely to be hard coded the same way as well, so you can't switch shouts to use magicka instead of the cool down system. Essentially like making it where casting spells actually uses fatigue instead of magicka. But we'll have to wait and see though, it really all depends on how they set it up.

Kind of depends on how it's set up. Oblivion spells were hard coded, and considering Dragon Shouts have their own button, they're likely to be hard coded the same way as well, so you can't switch shouts to use magicka instead of the cool down system. Essentially like making it where casting spells actually uses fatigue instead of magicka. But we'll have to wait and see though, it really all depends on how they set it up.

Oblivion spells were most definitely not hardcoded haha, very easy to tweak them all in the toolset. Plenty of mods did just that, including one of my own. My favorite was Supreme Magicka.

Spells and shouts will be entirely moddable, for sure.

ya I might tweak the shouts, or just avoid dragons and mess around more in the towns or what not.. one of the 2

I like most of the ideas put out in Skyrim just not how they actually went into making them so I, for the moment, am just going to assume the same for the shouts... lol

just ordered a new 750 gig Hard drive, a pretty baller motherboard oh and of cource some DDR3 ram so bring on the mods ;D

Pete confirmed it on Twitter a while back: using one shout puts them all in cooldown.

Are you sure that they all go into cooldown? I was confused about Pete Hines' tweet regarding Shout stacking:

http://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/127474261853081601

It is unclear [to me] if the 'wait time' he refers to is just the cool down for each individual shout (which would allow shout stacking between different shouts) or if there is another shout timer we don't know about that says something like 'only one shout can be active at the same time'. If we need to use 'all our resources' to beat a dragon, and we meet more powerful dragons as we level and/or go up in elevation I would think that shout stacking may not be OP.

Fire breath (fire inferno sun) = Yol Toor Krein; 60, 90 & 120 sec CD

Ice Form (ice flesh statue) = Iiz Slen Nus; 60, 90 & 120 sec CD

Slow Time (time sand eternity) = Tiid Klo Ul; 60, 90 & 120 sec CD

Storm Call (storm lightning wrath) = Strun Bah Qo; 180, 240 & 300 sec CD

Unrelenting Force (force balance push) = Fus Ro Dah; ??

Whirlwind Sprint ??

Animal Allegiance ??

Become Ethereal (fade, spirit, bind) = Fin Zi Gron (sp??)

Elemental Fury ??

Overpowered? Don't think so.

Sure, they ARE powerful: but the long cooldowns are the first major factor in balancing things. Sixty seconds in the heat of a battle, maybe with multiple adversaries, is too long to sustain. Plus, what if the enemies dodge it?

The second major balancing factor is the difficulty in acquiring them: by the time you have collected all of them, you'll probably be so powerful that you'll scarcely need them. I dare you remain at 2nd level AFTER killing 72 dragons xD

I think they make an excellent addition to the game, and add an unique, epic flavor.

Picture this:

-Dragon circling you in flight.

-Dovakhiin: "FUS RO DAH!"

-Dragon gets buffeted and crashes tumbling to the ground or against a cliff.

Jedi-level awesomeness xD