Stolen Mods

BrianUK

Thanks chucksteel for the mods you have made available, they are some of my favorites.

As for Bethesda, I think a lot of the blame is misplaced. There is no way for Bethesda to know a mod has been stolen before it is reported. There are thousands and thousands of mods, it's impossible for Bethesda to know that X mod was made by Y user and that Y user on Nexus is the same as Z username on Bethesda.net. I think they could do a better job at taking down stolen mods and punishing the thieves, but that also is a more complicated issue than it seems. Again it has to do with identifying who the mod maker was in the first place. How do they do that? Well now it's up to the mod maker to prove that he was the original creator, and unfortunately I don't see a way around this.

Bethesda has to also make sure the claim of theft is valid. What if I were upset at chucksteel (sorry to use you as an example, this is just an example I would never do this by the way) and made a claim that his mods were really mine and that chucksteel stole my mods? You see that there is no way for Bethesda to tell who is telling the truth. That's why they require proof that the mod maker was the original creator. The fact that usernames on Nexus and Bethesda.net might not be the same further compounds the problem. However I do think that there is no reason why Bethesda should require the address and identity of mod makers who submit the theft complaint.

Punishment for stolen mods or a false theft complaint should be permanent banning of the user's account. One and done. That would deter other pirates and thieves and give the seriousness of the crime a punishment fitting. I think that Bethesda will get their ducks in order, but I also think some people are being too hard on them.

• 6 months later...

Heya...

I need an issue resolved. There is a mod Robot Home Defense. All very well. ~~~~~~ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5787/? ~~~~There is a new mod released recently about settlement robots and the making of robots. I mentioned on the mod page to the author that he may have copied his mod and I asked what the difference are in his mod versus the original. His mod is called Robots coming to Settlements. His mod claims to be the first type of mod like this, which is untrue. His name is GovnoWriter. He ignored all of my questions and I was not rude, but he kept deleting my post (possibly because he is guilty.) I really need a moderator to look into this and please do something about this. From what I understand, he is using someone else's work and then adding "folklore" and other stuff that isn't true about him being the creator. Thank you for your time. He had no reason to block me from seeing the mod just now unless I had a valid point.

Thank you for your time

Michael Patrick

aka Etherdose

Heya...

I need an issue resolved. There is a mod Robot Home Defense. All very well. ~~~~~~ http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5787/? ~~~~There is a new mod released recently about settlement robots and the making of robots. I mentioned on the mod page to the author that he may have copied his mod and I asked what the difference are in his mod versus the original. His mod is called Robots coming to Settlements. His mod claims to be the first type of mod like this, which is untrue. His name is GovnoWriter. He ignored all of my questions and I was not rude, but he kept deleting my post (possibly because he is guilty.) I really need a moderator to look into this and please do something about this. From what I understand, he is using someone else's work and then adding "folklore" and other stuff that isn't true about him being the creator. Thank you for your time. He had no reason to block me from seeing the mod just now unless I had a valid point.

Thank you for your time

Michael Patrick

aka Etherdose

They aren't very similar really - Robot Home Defense essentially allows you to create walking turrets in the shape of robots. They are almost completely non-interactive, apart from the static "Move along please" or "Ma'am". They also do not count as "settlers.

The new mod adds to the list of randomly generated NPC's classed as "settlers" in the form of random robots of various designs and levels, and also allowing you to assign them to tasks and such.

That's probably why he is ignoring you. While he may have gotten "inspiration" from RHD, they aren't the same at all.