TES CS and modding NPCs

DreamingWolf

Okay so, here's my ordeal. I've been working on giving the vanilla Oblivion NPCs different eyes using TES CS. So far, the program itself shows the head models appearing with the eyes correctly.

However, when I load my mod in Oblivion, they get the classic "googly" eyes.

Is there any reason they would appear fine in TES and messed up in-world? I've de-activated all my other mods, so it's not a conflict issue...

Here's a quote from the Wrye Bash mod comments page that tesmyk made in post #1144:

@coromanther: Wyre Bash fixes all instances of googly eyes except in the (rare) case where a mod surreptitiously overwrites the vanilla eye mesh, which will break things in a way that nothing can fix (other than uninstalling that mod : ) Most mods that add eyes do so by adding an eye mesh with a different name and adding additional eyes that use that mesh. Wrye Bash works fine with mods like this.

Does that have any relevance for your situation?

No problem. I read a lot of stuff, so when I can remember where I read it and find it again I don't need to be smart ... the smart people write it down for me.

Okay so this helped me a lot with my custom race, and even with creating races that use the eyes I want. However there is still a problem.

It seems that when I create a custom eye mesh, and then use TES CS to make a mod that uses that mesh, the eyes still go googly. In other words, for some reason my mod isn't over-writing the vanilla meshes and textures. Any ideas?

It sounds like you have another mod telling the game to use a certain eye texture. Your mod, if it is an .esp dependent replacer, would need to load after the first mod. If your mod is an espless replacer, then it can't work until you remove the other mod which intentionally changes eyes, or has a dirty edit which is an identical-to-master record.

Make sure your mod is activated if it has an .esp.

If you have an .esp, make sure your mod is built right and that things are truly hooked up right.

Make sure your Bashed Patch isn't ruining everything. You might need to remove or rebuild it.

My mod uses an .esp file to activate or deactivate. The interesting thing is that whenever I disable all of my mods, the eyes are still messed up (wrong eye texture with my mesh... I think).

It's almost as though it's conflicting directly with Oblivion.esm itself.

EDIT: It's most definitely using a default eye texture, but with my custom eye mesh.

EDIT: Okay so I've been able to establish that it's the textures that are the problem. The eye mesh gets replaced beautifully, but the textures don't seem to want to follow. Archive Invalidation doesn't seem to be doing anything for this either.

EDIT: More info! When in the TES CS, if I open the face information for any NPC the eye textures appear changed as they should! In fact, everything seems to work find in the Construction Set. It's only when I get in the game that they aren't there.

Edited by DreamingWolf

OK DreamingWolf, you're in an area way above my pay grade here so I have not an iota of an idea that may help beyond this. Xtudo was some documentation included in the Companion Vilja Customization Pack that may help you. On the downloads tab for Companion Vilja look for a download called 'Vilja Customization Pack 3 0 1 WORKS WITH VER 4'.