ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Simple DRM idea, let's talk about it

MasterMagnus

Ok this probably won't work. Let's talk about why it doesn't and maybe it could lead us to another idea.

It has been confirmed by a Beth dev that Debug code does not run on a console at all.

What if you added an 'Unlock/Password' function to your mod? Which would:

-Use quests scripts etc. (only built in CK stuff) to pop up a Debug.InputBox (or whatever for input) to enter a very short code.

-You make your password extended ASCII codes. For example ©®

Which gets you:

-The input box never pops up on Console to begin with.

-The code is easily cut and pasted on PC, but Console has no way to enter extended ASCII. You can include it right in the Description but it does the console user no good.

Downsides:

-Extra work to code the whole 'lock-out' and how that would be handled, do you just exit game, start a timer to pop up a nag box every so often?

-The less you do to hide your code, the easier it is to be removed.

I want to help. Discuss if you like.

Edited by MasterMagnus

So I guess I'm wondering what's your recommendation for how to proceed?

Move a quest to 'dead end' stage, when your code is checking to make sure the quest is not at that stage before it proceeds.

Thus what you are delivering with your mod never actually 'happens' on consoles? They can still play, you haven't hobbled anything, it's as if your mod 'auto disabled'.

That would be the "nicest" thing to do, I imagine. There are many different ways you could proceed after detecting that your mod is running on a console, depending on what your end goal was.

All the code you've brought up so far relies upon Debug functions, which, obviously, won't work on a console, as you noted.

Edited by Reneer

I find the issue to be more with bethesda.net, regardless of whether its console or pc. I'm betting Nexus self policing will still be 100000x better than what ever half baked system beth comes up for beth.net. So the most ideal solution would be something to recognize if the user is using NMM vs bethesda's system, if something like that was at all possible.

Edited by XX4HorsemenXX

I have a handful of minor mods for Skyrim. I would not like it if someone else posted them as their own. I can't imagine what you folks with really complex or otherwise high-quality mods must feel likje to see your work stolen.

I hope you find some way to protect your work. However it occurs to me if someone wants to steal a mod can't they just remove what ever detection or poison-pill you add by putting it through the CK? Or is the thought that most of the people stealing mods can't figure out CK enough to remove it? It seems to me that getting a mod on B.net is not as simple as uploading it right? The person has to run it through CK to get it packed up and the .dds files in the correct format. Anyone that can do that much likely can remove or satisfy most of the stuff added to prevent it from running.

If you can't protect the mod maybe you could name every FormID created in the mod with your Nexus name as a prefix. Showing ownership to some degree if Beth ever does review mods for theft. Undoing a complex mod's item/object/ref naming is not a simple thing and likely would be tedious for the thief or result in a broken mod.

I have a handful of minor mods for Skyrim. I would not like it if someone else posted them as their own. I can't imagine what you folks with really complex or otherwise high-quality mods must feel likje to see your work stolen.

I hope you find some way to protect your work. However it occurs to me if someone wants to steal a mod can't they just remove what ever detection or poison-pill you add by putting it through the CK? Or is the thought that most of the people stealing mods can't figure out CK enough to remove it? It seems to me that getting a mod on B.net is not as simple as uploading it right? The person has to run it through CK to get it packed up and the .dds files in the correct format. Anyone that can do that much likely can remove or satisfy most of the stuff added to prevent it from running.

If you can't protect the mod maybe you could name every FormID created in the mod with your Nexus name as a prefix. Showing ownership to some degree if Beth ever does review mods for theft. Undoing a complex mod's item/object/ref naming is not a simple thing and likely would be tedious for the thief or result in a broken mod.

The goal with something like this wouldn't be to stop mod piracy / theft. Any method we may come up with can be circumvented - there are whole companies dedicated to DRM and it is clear that those methods always fail at some point down the line. It would simply be designed to make it harder for the thief to upload a given mod to Bethesda.net for use on console when the mod author does not wish this to happen (because the mod won't work on console or any other reason).