Nexus Mod support request for console

Syntensity

So to the modders out there what is your reasoning behind this (obviously could be anything else, but maybe it's one or more of the above), I would love to know so I get a better understanding of the situation ^^

I first posted my mods for PC on Beth.net, then immediately posted the XBox1 versions as soon as we could.

I never had any mods here, so I suffered no theft.

Since this whole problem I have made my PC versions 'Private'. Again, I will be assuring that nobody steals my mod and brings it here.

As of this writing I have 18,604 downloads (including the 1,568 PC downloads before going 'Private' on those).

I could never have achieved this much here on the Nexus. I could never have reached this level of users and feedback.

I don't have a single angry, mean spirited, begging or compaining comment on any of my uploads.

I'm perfectly happy to keep my mods exclusive to the company that made the game, when third party sites afford me VASTLY less security and offer all kinds of 4th party applications that run an .exe file in conjunction with the game. No thanks. I'm affording my users security they can count on, none of my mods are bricking consoles.

That's my stance, after watching around here for weeks before the CK came out, and now...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TeamBacon

I didn't mean it to put as excuses (that's something negative), just possible reasoning (so I can understand) as to why it's not available on Bethesda.net. I kinda could of expected your answer, but really I didn't mean to put it as excuses. I think all what you've just named are genuine reasons, and I respect that. I personally thought the main reasoning behind it was; some console players ranting / begging / insulting mod authors and the thievery. But there's more to it and now I see that everyone's expecting too much in too little time, just because a bunch of thieves upload broken mods that seem to work, doesn't mean that the authors that do proper uploads have to be uploading it within that time span. I think I understand you and a lot of other modders better now, thank you for your honesty!

On a side note I really didn't mean to come of impatient / demanding. I was just wondering what your opinion and reasoning would be on this topic. I hope that clarify's it a bit, I would love to read more official responses!

@MasterMagnus

Wow I'm glad to hear that it all seemed to worked out for you. Keep up the great work and thank you for spending time to respond on this thread ^^

Edited by Syntensity

Hello everyone I just wanted to leave a note saying I fully support the PC modding community. As a console user I still took the time to do some limited research of what it is you guys and ladies actually do. While most of what I read is basically Latin to me I definitely understand the complexity of what it is you create.

So to do my part ive been working on the Beth forums with a group of modders who have asked for help from consoles identifying stolen mods and getting video for them so they can use it as proof and report the mods. I've done this a couple times and I'm especially keeping an eye out for pirated versions of the CBBE as I'm aware of how important that is to your community and it would be a shame if the author had to pull it for you guys because people in my community are stealing it.

So with that being said what I'd ask from you is regarding the topic of DRM. I'm aware that there may be some mods implementing this if there aren't already. I don't think it would effect me too harshly as every time I've tested a possible stolen mod I'm using a new save so that if the mod corrupts it I'm not really losing anything to any saves I care about and then I'm deleting the stolen mod in question after capturing video for the modders. My only concern is if there is or could be something that would potentially harm my games other saves even in using this method id like to be aware.

If you've created something or become aware of any that may do me unintended harm id appreciated it if you pm'ed me so I could avoid it if possible. If you're not comfortable trusting me at the moment you could pm one of the modders on the team so they can decide if they trust letting me know. They can be found in this post https://community.bethesda.net/thread/23673

I apologize for the length of this post and just want you all to know I support your rights to protect your content using DRM if your mod wasn't intended for console in the first place. I'd just hate to ruin my game or system while trying to help out. Thanks again for all that you do!

@TeamBacon

I didn't mean it to put as excuses (that's something negative), just possible reasoning (so I can understand) as to why it's not available on Bethesda.net. I kinda could of expected your answer, but really I didn't mean to put it as excuses. I think all what you've just named are genuine reasons, and I respect that. I personally thought the main reasoning behind it was; some console players ranting / begging / insulting mod authors and the thievery. But there's more to it and now I see that everyone's expecting too much in too little time, just because a bunch of thieves upload broken mods that seem to work, doesn't mean that the authors that do proper uploads have to be uploading it within that time span. I think I understand you and a lot of other modders better now, thank you for your honesty!

On a side note I really didn't mean to come of impatient / demanding. I was just wondering what your opinion and reasoning would be on this topic. I hope that clarify's it a bit, I would love to read more official responses!

1. There is a sizable section, but still minority of people, on the Nexus that simply believe that they are better than people who use consoles and were angry about console modding before Fallout 4 was even released back in November.

These people were never going to support console modding, they for some reason feel validated by keeping others down so they can feel better about their own privilege of having things others don't. Console players having mods makes them fell less special, so they hate it.

There are a whole lot of people like that on the Nexus, but they are mostly fans and not the modders themselves. These are not the kind of people I want to be sharing my mod with, but like I said, they are still the minority of people here. As for the modders who just hate consoles and don't want their mod shared, I support their right to be elitists even if I don't agree with them.

If it is your work, you have the right to be elitist with it and nobody has the right to force you to share it.

2. The second group in the formation of this problem are the people who saw the people in group #1 and took major offense to it. Yet instead of having a logical discussion about it, they turned to stealing stuff in mass quantities and forcibly uploading this stuff to Bethesda.net

This stuff they uploaded, however, included mostly mods that were originally going to be ported to Xbox, but the authors had not completed everything or tested things to the extent that they were ready to release. Most of this stuff would have come to Xbox over the next few months.

But guided by the notion of 'I'm offended by group #1' the people of group #2 basically waged war on all the Nexus, including people like me who were originally super excited to hear about sharing out work with console players.

Now, the common misconception is that group #2 are console players. But to be able to use the Creation Kit, they obviously have a PC version of Fallout 4 and a good amount of computer skills. These are either vigilante PC gamers or hybrid gamers who use PC and console. They are not your run of the mill console players who just want to play their game.

3. Now the biggest group out of all of this is number three. These are the PC modders that were enraged because the people of group 2 basically waged a war on them.

The thieves attacked first, and now a large part of the Nexus community that would normally have a 'live and let live' attitude about console players now feel like they have to defend themselves. Sick of the verbal assaults and the blatant theft thrown at them because group #2 hated group #1, the people of this third group got caught in the middle and quickly picked a side. They chose the side of their home, the Nexus.

Most of group #3 has now dug their heels in so much that they are ready to attack any console player in order to defend the mods that they love.

4. Then you have the 4th group of people who are mostly console gamers who just want to play games. They have not been properly introduced to the modding world and how things work and how much time things take. Group #4 is not malicious, just new and confused.

They however are now convinced that group #3 hates them and will do anything to stop them from playing cool mods, so they started their own venomous campaign of hate speech toward the PC modding community.

They assume that people like me haven't given them the game they want because I am a member of Group #1. That however is very, very not true.

But true or not, these people have dug in their heels against the PC gamers in this war of words.

Conclusion. This is the reason that there is and never will be a peaceful solution to this conflict. Even though most of the people involved would rather just be friends and share their free mods with the people who want to play them.

This combined with people like 'Master Magnus' above, spreading completely false information in an attempt to slam the hard working people of the Nexus for the purpose of stiring up more hate.

For those of you console players that don't know. The Nexus instantly bans anyone they find to have stolen a mod, a part of a mod, or part of a game that didn't belong to them. If you illegally steal stuff from a different Bethesda game, insta-ban, if you use stuff from a mod that you didn't get permission for, insta-ban, if you take any content from any website that isn't yours, insta-ban. It doesn't matter if you are stealing pictures from Deviant Art or giving away assets from Far Harbor to people who haven't bought the expansion, the Nexus bans all thieves without mercy.

So as long as everyone has picked sides, dug their heels in, and just wants to attack the enemy... we will all lose. It is a matter of people who just want to be right about this as opposed to people who want to be informed.

The modding community never truly recovered from 'Paid Modding' and this is just adding yet another thing to tear us all apart. Paid modding was never solved, and neither will this.

So basically, if this is how people want to be... If all they want to do is hurt each other and stir up trouble, why should I even spend my time modding for these people?

I will finish my mod, because I have already put months of time into it, but if I had realized that my audience was made of elitists haters and entitled ingrates... I might not have ever started this project.

I am going to bet this will be the last mod I ever make.

Really I completely agree with all you said except the part directed at me.

You are clearly more experienced in this community, and I defer to your assessment of the situation.

I NEVER meant to imply that Nexus does nothing about theft. If any of my mods were ever brought here by anyone else I'm sure they would take swift and decisive action.

ALL I SAID was: "I never had any mods here, so I suffered no theft." I meant I never had anyone steal my stuff FROM Nexus, not bring my stuff TO Nexus.

Edited by MasterMagnus

You are clearly more experienced in this community, and I defer to your assessment of the situation.

I NEVER meant to imply that Nexus does nothing about theft. If any of my mods were ever brought here by anyone else I'm sure they would take swift and decisive action.

ALL I SAID was: "I never had any mods here, so I suffered no theft." I meant I never had anyone steal my stuff FROM Nexus, not bring my stuff TO Nexus.

You said that you are made your mod 'private' because you were afraid someone would steal it and put in on the Nexus.

Then you said "when third party sites afford me VASTLY less security"... when the Nexus has a 10 year track record of protecting peoples work and Bethesda.net has a 2 week track record of letting anyone steal anything from anyone else.

The implication that your mod is in danger of being stole by the Nexus and is somehow safer on Bethesda.net is not true and it is a direct attack at us.

I am happy that you are supporting Bethesda.net, I'm not asking you to bring your mods to the Nexus or anything like that.

I just think it is very rude to come into our home and spread lies for the sole purpose of trying to stir up a 'we are better than you' debate. I'm not asking you to support the Nexus, just that you stop trying to stir up trouble.

Coming in here and insulting the Nexus with false information about it not being secure is not a way to make things any more civil.

Actualy I don't remember him mentioning the nexus in his preveios post either. Lots of 3rd party sites are very unsecure. The Nexus is the exception to the rule, not the standared. As for him making the PC versions of mods private... I think he meant so that this mysterios group of PC users that keep uploading stolen content won't be able to use it for themselves in any way. Thats how I took it anyway.

Edited by blaze1514

Actualy I don't remember him mentioning the nexus in his preveios post either. Lots of 3rd party sites are very unsecure. The Nexus is the exception to the rule, not the standared. As for him making the PC versions of mods private... I think he meant so that this mysterios group of PC users that keep uploading stolen content won't be able to use it for themselves in any way. Thats how I took it anyway.

Well, he did say

Since this whole problem I have made my PC versions 'Private'. Again, I will be assuring that nobody steals my mod and brings it here.

quite literally in the post right above on this page, while from all places stolen mods could be brought to "here" is the place where they'd remain the shortest. All it takes is 1 person, not even you, to report an illegal upload of your mod on here and provide a link to your original upload elsewhere for us to check, basically, and it'll be done for in less than a day response time usually. Staff consists of volunteers here, so there are times at which it takes some time for one of us to get to the report, and then it requires one who owns the game the mod is for or who's at least able to investigate the mod in question, but in most cases said comparisons are rather quickly done, especially when it was re-uploaded in a mostly unaltered state, and perhaps the one who reported it also sent some comparison screens or gave further information along with it, which would significantly speed up the process.

But I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here and take what he said for more out of ignorance than out of spite.

Everybody's quickly offended in these trying times, but I for one at least seem to have some talent in always seeing exactly how something was meant but at the same time also how it will be misunderstood by others. Maybe that's why I'm always trying to "mediate"... I don't know. And managing to offend me personally through an online post or something even more meaningless is an exercise in futility really. So that is that.

But I'm wondering, in what group would I be? Or is it the 5th, right in the middle of the whole mess, trying to bring them all together peacefully, while myself not having any horse at all in any of their races? Oh, well, but maybe I'm just a sucker for endeavoring in "impossible" tasks. Who knows.