Vanilla Oblivion crashes. Pls help.

lordkamakazi

Hey everyone. So I started playing a while ago but stopped. Came back less-a-while-ago and started with the modding. I've done small time modding in other games like the Half Life series and the Jedi Knight series but I'm definitely no expert. I have quite a bit of mods on my game but nothing crazy, mostly just textures and races. I had some stuff happen with my computer and unfortunately I had to uninstall some things. I kept all of my mod archives and still had them in order so I could just load back up and keep playing. I went through the troublesome process and hours of time to load everything back up and it instantly crashes on startup. Just a black screen pops for a second and then its my desktop. Not even an annoying "windows broke and we're gonna bug you with an error" message. So I uninstall (again) and start to see what It might be causing it to crash. Fresh install and this time only loaded the tools, (OBSE OBMM Wyre Bash..) no mods yet and it did the same thing. So I though something could have gone wrong there, so I uninstalled (Again again) and have just original vanilla Oblivion with official patches and DLC and its STILL just popping up with a black screen. I tried deleting everything when it happened (except saves, but they're moved so not to interfere). New Oblivion.ini and everything. Uninstalled again and defragmented and its still happening. Even tried some 4GB Patch for x64 bit windows. I'm completely stumped on how to get this working and feel I've wasted about 3 days. Not the whole days, just my spare time and I have to say I'm quite frustrated. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks and cheers mates.

-- Oh I also have to say it wasn't OS breaking stuff to my computer either. I was just moving things around. I moved Oblivion to C:\Games\Oblivion. But I've also tried having it back in Program Files(x86) too.

Edited by lordkamakazi

When you 'moved Oblivion to C:\Games\Oblivion' are you saying you uninstalled the game and then re-installed in C:\Games\Oblivion or you just moved the folder Oblivion from it's former location? Even when moving your installation the proper way, registry entries left from the previous installation can cause problems. Here's a link to bben46's uninstall/re-install guide: Oblivion reinstall procedure.